1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

John Greco

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Bennyg111, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Bennyg111

Bennyg111

Aug 29, 2012
    [​IMG][/URL[/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG]
    Purchased this John Greco at a local gunshow today. Seller did not know much or what type of steel. Any help is highly appreciated

2. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    He primarily used 8670, a steel used for commercial metal-sawing blades, with .75% carbon and nickle for toughness.

3. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    From what I remember, he used a variety of steels depending upon the "period" of his knife making career. Wasn't he around for a number of years?

4. bandaidman

bandaidman

Feb 11, 2001
    he sometimes put a single number or letter to signify the steel type on the other side of the knife if i recall correctly. a2 and 8670 were common

5. Bennyg111

Bennyg111

Aug 29, 2012
    I have had ppl tell me this particular style he was using A2 and O1 at the time. The other side has a "A" stamped in it so I'm guessing this might be A2

6. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    I think that's a pretty good guess based upon my poor memory of past Greco knives I've handled.

7. LuckyC

LuckyC

Feb 3, 2010
    Most likely A2. I thought Mr. Greco had retired from knife making. Looks like Blade Art has some of his knives.

8. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I heard he had retired, I am pretty sure this work is from his earlier work, I have a small Bowie in 8670 and black coated.

9. brownshoe

Sep 6, 2002
    He's retired at least twice as of about 5-10 years ago. He's got some health problems.

10. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    That's cool. If I had a high end steakhouse that's the knives we'd use

Red