John Powell - A fair wind and following sea

A recent inquiry from a member caused me to check my emails. My last message from John Powell was on April 4. Although I had sent him several emails since, l had not had any replies. So I checked the Internet, and discovered to my great sorrow that John passed away on April 6. Quite apart from his contributions to the world of kukri collecting, John was one of the most memorable people I have ever met. Patriot, scholar, Bon vivant, artist, curmudgeon, world traveler - just for starters. A man who could land a fighter jet on the heaving deck of a carrier at night, prepare a gourmet feast, compose a beautiful photograph, spin a bawdy yarn. A man who assembled a world class collection of horse brasses in a month's time just to decorate his daughter's wedding. “He was a man, take him for all in all,
I shall not look upon his like again."
https://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/obituaries/name/john-powell-obituary?pid=192615895&v=batesville&view=guestbooks

Last edited:
Rest In Peace, old friend.

John left us a wealth of valuable information, available on the HI khukuri FAQ. Towards the top, look for “John Powell’s - The Khukuri”. Then towards the bottom find 7 pages of his historical khukuri collection.

Peace be with you brother! Ive read about you but never had the opportunity to meet you. Condolences to all friends and family.

I am truly sorry to hear this. He had a wealth of knowledge and enjoyed sharing it on these forums. I traded with him frequently and he was always a pleasure to deal with. RIP

N2s

"John is over from SFO and participating in the Reno Gun Show at the local Hilton but he found time to get over this evening for a nice visit. John is an upbeat guy and that was good for me. He teased me about being too skinny and then teased me at dinner saying I ate too much to be this skinny. Yangdu fixed a Nepali meal -- beef curry, dal bhat, a nice mix of red and green peppers as salad substitute and some weeds Nepalis like to eat. John ate about 3 pounds of the beef curry and then teased ME about eating too much. But even so I invited him back.

John Powell, one of the good guys and perhaps the world's leading khukuri authority. Glad to have him for a pal
." - Bill Martino, Nov. 13, 2004.
I hope these two pals are now exchanging great stories and catching up on old times.

Good to see you posting, Mike. Wish it was under better circumstances.

Belated prayers and smoke for smooth journey

Happy Trails, John, until we meet again.

Thanks for being around during my life-time.

JP & I had a standing invite to meet one day...time got in the way! We had a lot to say about Kuks....I remember when he was invited to appraise & give info on ENGLANDS Armory Kukri's.I was sworn to secrecy ...he was so excited & gave me quite a rundown! I know of no other that was afforded this privilege! He was also quite a photographer & dated a number of ladies!
I would be drinking water after a workout & get a computor ping from JP ....pic of a PRESENT lady....I almost choked on my drink!! We also
had discussions on various topics....he was brilliant. He is one I shall always miss & regret we never got together...so he could show me the JP way to party!
THE DUCK!
PS. So many old friends gone....not many left!

Back