John Salley old dagger question

Which did not work? All three seem to work here. Anyway, I will try to contact Mark K. tomorrow. Thank you!

I sent your picture to Mr. Salley to see if he can tell us what type of ivory it is. He is from my area and we have been friends for 30+ years. I still own several of his knives and always keep an eye out for others when they become available. I have an interest if you're still wanting to sell it but want to make sure we stay "inside the lines" on the forum rules.

The ivory is indeed elephant ivory from a long time ago. The maker confirmed that. When it was made, no provenance was required. He also verified the Engnath scrimshaw, not that it was in question.

Evan, thanks so much for following up on this. And for sharing the very happy news that John Salley is still with us. If you should speak with him again please let him know that in the past 30+ years his Art has hung proudly in the living room of three homes. In that time it has garnered dozens and dozens of compliments and has started numerous conversations. I actually hate parting with it but at this point my main goal is to see that it goes into the hands of someone who really loves art knives! (BTW, do you happen to know if there is a way on the Forum to send private messages?)

I will pass the regards to JD. he sent me a picture last night of that knife on his table at Blade Show from some time back in the 80’s. That was cool!

Private messages seem to only be part of a paid membership. I left a message on your “profile” page yesterday though.

Back