Just a Picture:

Serendipitous! The Bushnub is one of the models I am gathering pics for Marc to use on the website, but I've never owned one. Would you mind measuring and giving me the specs Jerry? Just overall and blade lengths, everything else will vary by model.
No problem at all .. they're about the same as the Bushnub II. ;)

Since the Bushnub II was borne from taking the Bushnub template, taking off blade belly and leaving material for a guard, they actually are about the same specs. Either would have a 7 1/2" OAL. From there the blade length would be about 3 1/4" and the handle about 4 1/4". Well crud! I thought I had a comparison set of pics on those and will have to get one.

The Bushnub is an AWESOME blade with a very useful length, really nice belly, a decent amount of handle and all in a pretty compact package.

Hope that helps,
Jerry

L
No problem at all .. they're about the same as the Bushnub II. ;)

Since the Bushnub II was borne from taking the Bushnub template, taking off blade belly and leaving material for a guard, they actually are about the same specs. Either would have a 7 1/2" OAL. From there the blade length would be about 3 1/4" and the handle about 4 1/4". Well crud! I thought I had a comparison set of pics on those and will have to get one.

The Bushnub is an AWESOME blade with a very useful length, really nice belly, a decent amount of handle and all in a pretty compact package.

Hope that helps,
Jerry

LOL, Thank you Jerry!! I added those specs to my notes in the file on them. I'll let Marc sort the I-II part :) I was struggling for a minute there trying to remember the difference between the two generations was. I definitely intend to pick one up and play with it later. The divorce, first year of single parenthood, and injured leg this past year delayed a lot of things... But life has been getting better so I am encouraged :)

7.jpg

Nice pipe! Is that clay?

Thank you! It is, indeed, clay. I have several pipes that I enjoy, most of them being made of briar, but I have a few clay pipes as well. Though being the most fragile in my collection, they are certainly amongst my favorites, providing a nice cool smoke, which pairs nicely with my preferred Latakia rich blends.

Clay pipes also have a long and rich history, which I like about them as well. The one in the picture is my longest pipe, longer than my briar Churchwardens, and can be difficult to light at times. I find that I have to use a long match or piece of cedar to get a good light. I keep meaning to get a pair of ember tongs. They would use those to pull a small coal from the fire to place in the pipe bowl until the leaf within ignited. Easy to clean too. Tavern owners or staff would take the unbroken pipes and place in fire at the closing time. By morning, they would be clean and white again.

Thank you! It is, indeed, clay. I have several pipes that I enjoy, most of them being made of briar, but I have a few clay pipes as well. Though being the most fragile in my collection, they are certainly amongst my favorites, providing a nice cool smoke, which pairs nicely with my preferred Latakia rich blends.

Clay pipes also have a long and rich history, which I like about them as well. The one in the picture is my longest pipe, longer than my briar Churchwardens, and can be difficult to light at times. I find that I have to use a long match or piece of cedar to get a good light. I keep meaning to get a pair of ember tongs. They would use those to pull a small coal from the fire to place in the pipe bowl until the leaf within ignited. Easy to clean too. Tavern owners or staff would take the unbroken pipes and place in fire at the closing time. By morning, they would be clean and white again.

Yeah, I've been looking for sources for long pipes to use in my Tolkienesque project I'm working on. I love the look of the church wardens, but really wish I could find a source for a few used ones that showed the wear of use over time rather than needing to antique them myself. I quit smoking a year ago, and so now I'm not all that keen on smoking a pipe to antique it. I love the look of the clay pipes, but the fragility worries me for my projects.

Yeah, I've been looking for sources for long pipes to use in my Tolkienesque project I'm working on. I love the look of the church wardens, but really wish I could find a source for a few used ones that showed the wear of use over time rather than needing to antique them myself. I quit smoking a year ago, and so now I'm not all that keen on smoking a pipe to antique it. I love the look of the clay pipes, but the fragility worries me for my projects.

Clay patinas exceptionally well and could look AMAZING in your projects. I would be more than happy to send you a couple that I've used (have patina) for your work. Though they aren't particularly robust, I imagine they should hold up just fine for your needs. And if they break, no worries at all. They aren't all that expensive.

Otherwise, there are the MacQueen pipes which mimic the styles seen in the LOTR movies. But they are made of various woods and could prove to be somewhat expensive.

Yes, I've seen some nice patinas on clay pipes. Sure if you have any spares like that it would be awesome, just what I need. Thank you!

I agree, you should put it there :) But I guess I could lol, I sent it to Rob just because I thought it was really cool

Back