Just Bought a 8cr13mov Knife - What's your take?

not a favorite. have many Chinese made in it as users, but rust spots easily when sweating like aus8 does in my pockets. usually if done well holds a decent edge so it isnt a deal breaker but I dont hunt for it.

If you like it who cares what other people think. Some of my favorites have steel others would turn their noses up at, but they’re missing out. Got lots of AUS 8, 1095, 440c. Love my SAK and many would say it’s junk steel. Thought about getting an atmos myself. (Also before someone hates on AUS 8, try a Moki fish owl.)

I haven't ever owned a knife with it. Probably never will.

The only run of the mill steel I've had would be D2, ATS-34, Aus-8, and VG-10.

So-called "super steel" doesn't do a whole lot for me. Ever since I bought my Manix 2 CTS-XHP, that's become my favorite. S35VN is a close second, and what I own the most of. The only super steels I own are S90V and M4.

I've had brief experiences with CTS-204p and S110V.

I loved my ZDP-189 Dragonfly 2.

I've own a lot of knives (at least 50 out of over 300) made by Kershaw, CRKT and Spyderco using 8Cr13Mov blade steel.

From what I've read, 8Cr13Mov is similar to AUS-8 and both of these steels have been in used reliably in making knives for many, many years.

So, for "normal" use, any knife w/a 8Cr13Mov blade should be able cut whatever you need to cut and should be easy to resharpen using just a pocket stone whenever it gets dull. Clean/oil the blade after you use/store it and don't leave it lying in a puddle of water, on the ground or in the mud and it should last forever.

Last edited:
99.9999% yes.
There is no reason to waste money on an 8cr13 blade when you can get Aus, Acuto, Sandvick and D2 for the same price or less. Unless it's a truly unique blade that you must have, leave the 8cr13 for the gas station mall ninjas

8cr13mov is tougher than, and holds its edge longer than AUS-8.

By your logic Aus belongs to the realm of gas station mall ninja knives then.

8cr is a pretty good steel. Ive had several kershaws with it. The cryo is one of my favorite inives,just hate its from china.

My anecdotal experience is contrary. The way the steel is treated can really alter performance.

8Cr13 is ok, so long as it’s priced accordingly. I avoid steels below this point (like 5Cr, etc.)

Let's be clear. I don't prefer 8cr13mov steel. It's not ideal. But in my experience, it holds up well if made and heat treated correctly.

Anyway, one of my favorite knife designs is the Kershaw Atmos. I briefly had it, loved it, but then gave it away because I don't like 8cr13mov.

But I missed it. It had amazing action, was light, and the overall design was beautiful. In short, it is just a great knife with less than ideal steel.

Yes, blade steel is 8cr13mov. Not the best. But you know what? Not the worst. I can sharpen the crap out of it, and it works fine for me.

Question is, is 8cr a deal breaker for any of you guys?
It comes back to razor sharp in a few minutes on my Sharp Maker and I don’t work in a environment where I’m cutting zip ties all day so for me, it works.

I approve of a blade made of real AUS-8 from Japan or Taiwan over 8Cr13MoV and here's why...

Now there's the thing...these are 3 different grades of Chinese steel so you should see a difference in performance.At this point I don't know if it's heat treatment related or a purity problem.I'd lean towards purity considering these are all different grinds and edge angles.China working with Sandvik steels reflects a better outlook on their heat-treating than their own steel as far as blades.

I wouldn't tease or pick on someone for carrying a Gerber or CRKT though.In some cases it's all they can afford in a design they like and the edge retention is good enough for them.

There’s nothing especially bad about 8Cr13MoV. It’s a notable step up from 440A or mystery stainless, and usually means the knife is $30 or less. If the manufacturer puts out a good design with equally good build quality and puts an 8Cr blade in it, I’m not going to complain about having to maintain the edge a bit more.

That said, I find it harder and harder to bother with those knives as D2 has begun to creep into that price range, and 440C / 9Cr18MoV have as well. I actually don’t see all that much 8Cr these days outside of Kershaw releases.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think I will enjoy using my Atmos. Again, love the design, and I have no problems stropping it regularly to keep it reasonably sharp.

One strange thing I noticed: I see guys raving about their traditional Case knives and SAKs and other traditionals with "tru sharp" and "surgical" stainless steel blades. In my experience, these steels are not particularly good in edge retention, although I haven't done any personal testing. But when someone mentions a modern folder with AUS-8 or 8cr13mov, they scoff. Just sort of funny. And by the way, I love my traditionals, including Case, SAK, Opinels, and others. Although Opinels have very good steel for a traditional knife, either in carbon or stainless.

LOL :rolleyes: both untrue and irrelevant, but allow me to educate you regardless.
Toughness index puts Aus8 above 8cr. But it also puts 8cr above s90, elmax, 110v, m390 which are all significantly better steel choices. Clearly 'toughness' alone means nothing.
mVoIwSx.jpg

Edge retention index puts Aus8 above 8cr.

u9yXIe7.jpg

Both untrue statements clearly flattened. Thanks though :D

By your logic Aus belongs to the realm of gas station mall ninja knives then.

I'd actually almost agree with that. Aus6 and poorly treated Aus8 used on gas station knives work exactly as well as youd expect. However properly treated aus8 and cryo treated aus8 are very different.

Facts > your feelings

LOL :rolleyes: both untrue and irrelevant, but allow me to educate you regardless.
Toughness index puts Aus8 above 8cr. But it also puts 8cr above s90, elmax, 110v, m390 which are all significantly better steel choices. Clearly 'toughness' alone means nothing.
mVoIwSx.jpg

Edge retention index puts Aus8 above 8cr.

u9yXIe7.jpg

Both untrue statements clearly flattened. Thanks though :D

I'd actually almost agree with that. Aus6 and poorly treated Aus8 used on gas station knives work exactly as well as youd expect. However properly treated aus8 and cryo treated aus8 are very different.

Facts > your feelings

So by this logic, properly treated 8cr is also decent, right? And it seems that the difference between AUS-8 and 8cr is basically negligible, in line with what I have been reading in other places. And where is "surgical stainless" and "tru sharp" on this graph :D

By the way, one of my favorite knives is my Dragonfly in ZDP-189. Love it, and the steel is as advertised. But it is a bit tough to sharpen. And S30V, which seems to be getting a bad rap these days because it is so common, is amazing. Keeps an edge, but so balanced in terms of ease of sharpening vs. edge retention. I actually have various knife steels and know a little bit about most of them, but I have had no knives in 8cr13mov, mainly because people have said so many negative things about it. Hence this thread. Once I test out my new Atmos, I will provide my input.

8Cr13MoV is a great budget steel, when properly heat treated. I have never used a Kershaw blade in it, but I do know that Spyderco/byrd does a great HT for this steel. Holds a great edge, very easy to sharpen, and is tough. I do prefer higher end steels, but for the price, it's a great steel!

Oh, rummaged through my stuff and found an old Kershaw made with 8cr13mov. I believe it is the Kershaw Hops. I had this before I was into collecting knives or even knew anything about different steels, etc. As you can see from the blade, I used it quite a bit. And I just ran it through my strop, and it is sharp again lol.

5f4iw2W.jpg

It's fine. Most knives that I give away are 8cr or in that same realm.

I have nice knives though, so an 8cr Kershaw in my posession won't get carried. If you've got a garage full of Porsches and Range Rovers you're not going to drive around in a base model Hyundai either.

Back