Just bought a black Osborne 943, how do you guys like yours?

First of all I bought a 940-2, then a 940-1, and after a few months it made sense to also get the green alu 940.

Yet for a year long I always kept looking at the 943. I love the 940 Rev tanto but.. Well I have nothing bad to say about it except for when I got an 0450. I love this knife so immediately bought the black cf one too.

Kept thinking to myself, how nice would it be to have this with an axis deployment?
'but you already have 2 0450s and 3 940s dont be silly' my inner voice said..

So I bought one today and I'll dollar sell my 940-2 to a friend who loves it.

Yet I never see it pop up here. Why is that?
Can't wait really it's become somewhat of a grail to me mentally!

I bought my 943 a week or so ago. I, like you, kind of waffled on the 943 for over a year and always felt that since I already had the 940-2, I didn't need the 943. (Interestingly, I always passed over the 531, since I already had the Bugout, but I'm glad I finally got the 531. However that's a whole other story.)

I also don't particularly like metal handles and that's why I bought the 940-2 over the green (yuck) handled original 940. Now that I finally bought the 943 I actually like the aluminum scales and the black texturing is nice. I like the blade shape better than the reverse tanto of the 940. I do like the 943 better than my 0450cf but since I am unlikely to sell any knives, they will all have to learn to get along and wait their turn in my pocket.

Oh, and I should add that I am not overly picky about centering, grinds, action, blade play and other F&F issues, my 943 is absolutely perfect.

I liked my 943 a lot with the exception that it was too thick behind the edge for my liking. I preferred the feel of the sheeps mini-grip in use which is why I got rid of mine. They should either use thinner blade stock or do a higher flat grind, IMO. A FFG would be great.

That said, I think the 940 felt like it had a little less behind the edge but that could easily be the difference of the knife i had and different tolerances. I know the 943 has a more stabby/tactical look which can be a turn-off for EDC use.

Very nice knives but I just like the feel of a mini-grip a little more. I also feel like 3.5" hits a no-man's land in folders for me as right around 3" is a great EDC length and then 4" is nicer for food prep and yard chores. Stretch that that out to 4" (roughly the disc'ed 710) and I would still have one and I would be separated from several other knives from other makers pretty quick.

I've considered the 943 for a long time...but have never been able to bring myself to buy one. I'm okay with aluminum handles, like the handle and blade shapes, and it's close enough to 3.5" that I wouldn't whine about it - but I've got a Rift and an Anthem, and I've been increasingly picky about what I purchase. (I just recently bought my first folder in a little over a year...and am slamming that door hard because there will be two others following). Maybe I'll find somebody that wants to trade one for a fixed blade.

I had a 943 and preferred it over my 940, just a personal preference thing.

Gifted the 940 to a friend when I got a 940-1.
Then my 943 got stolen :mad: :thumbsdown: and I've been waiting ever since for a 943 with something other than ali for the handle. Without me having to buy 2 knives to blade swap.

I think Benchmade could put 943 blades into 940-2 handles. They already make both. But they just haven't.
Maybe this change of management would consider it @Benchmade ?

Wow such good responses! Thanks guys I appreciate it when people take time to convey their reasoning properly instead of a simple 'I like the 940 more' or the likes!
I posted ithis before going to bed and I have to leave for a bit now. I'll get back to you champs when I'm at work. Glad to have more discussion on this model! I am surprised that not more of it occurs but it's hard when your brother takes the spotlight. I one thing I'll add quick before stepping in my car is that one of the biggest reasons I initially was attracted to it was the 710 and it being discontinued. I'll elaborate in a bit. Two day delivery time from the states to the Netherlands btw! It's here tomorrow already! Crazy stuff. Not cheap but still bout 100 eur less then buying locally. All black, sleek and engraved with the name of my black cat with a ' :3 ' (I know, I'm still 18 at hart, if only my receding hairline got that message too haha) so people won't be scared but instead find it a cute piece of cutlery heh

I didn't much like the blade shape on my 940-1, even though the CF scales were gorgeous, so I eventually sold it. I love my 943-1 Franken, and even though it's a little small for my hand it's a keeper that occasionally finds its way into my pocket.

lmiztKn.jpg

The market share for the 943 compared to the 940 is so slight that we're likely to never see any other iterations of the former knife, despite the desire of 943 fans for other steels or grips.

Last edited:
Sorry for the later then expected response.

I got my 943. What a beautiful thing. This might be my perfect knife.

Lemme back that up. I love the 940. I already have all three official models, and don’t regret it one bit, but there was always something about it that felt off to me and I couldnt’t put my finger on it. I prefer the design of the aluminum handles, and there is nothing more beautiful then a knife which has stood the test of time and has the badges of honor to prove it. The color palette felt way though, matte green I don’t mind, but then theres a pink shiny backspacer, a satin blade and then a black clcip? Haha, it felt kinda jumbled together and while I prefer the alu handle, I do prefer the 940-2 in looks because of it simple and straightforward look. The 940-1 is a great knife but again, I don’t fancy the color scheme but more importantly the cf felt too smooth for me and the extreme light weight and open back construction makes this gem feel a bit unsubstantial (but that’s personal though).

I love the rev tanto, and the way the blade is designed for maximum potential, nothing bad to say about it. However for me personally, I don’t need that crazy strong build or a superdupersteel in a folder meant for medium hard work that will also do the hard work to a degree, I carry a cruwear or m390 pm2 alongside for that kind of stuff. The 940 is the knife I carry everywhere and is on my person at all time, the ideal idc. I benefit more from a slim folder with a nice droppoint I actually dare using instead of my Sebenza which sits safely in its case and only rarely comes out.

So I kept thinking about this brother that nobody talks about, and boy am I glad I went for it.

First of all. Holy moly this thing is beautiful. All black in different textures with a elegant blue backspacer, that bladeshape is absolutely phenomenal. This is exactly what I look for in how a knife looks instead of a hint of pink, little black here, etch haha.

It’s super freedropping smooth, best edge I got out of the box from benchmade thus far, nice high (or in my eyes workable and normal) grinds as opposed to some factory grinds that are so low that slicing is hard because its so thick behind the edge. Perfectly centered, and it shows in it’s action. They even managed to get the grinds even!

I was expecting to like it but I think I found my new primary edc for the next few years.
5aWPKvj.jpg

gcue0tn.jpg

o62cHM9.jpg
3kkVozn.jpg

I might actually get a satin one lateron too and scaleswap with green backspacers and the carbon fiber scales!
It's so much better in hand then on photos and such even. Shame it'll never get the attention the 940 enjoys, and the perks of a variety of steels, different handles etc.
However, this looks like a 10/10 for me. don't need s90v or m390 to cut open a box, but we forget that s30v didnt become popular in good folders for no reason, we are spoiled nowadays. If it doesn't come in Cruwear, m390, m4 or s90v it's 'a shame of an otherwise good knife'. Caught myself thinking this too while at the same time my pm2 and older 940s have been through the ringer and held up like champs and are hairsplitting sharp haha. The hypocrisy of knifenuts, love it.

I'm gonna fidget with it some more now.

I had a 943 and preferred it over my 940, just a personal preference thing.

Gifted the 940 to a friend when I got a 940-1.
Then my 943 got stolen :mad: :thumbsdown: and I've been waiting ever since for a 943 with something other than ali for the handle. Without me having to buy 2 knives to blade swap.

I think Benchmade could put 943 blades into 940-2 handles. They already make both. But they just haven't.
Maybe this change of management would consider it @Benchmade ?
Ah that's such a scumbag thing to do. I think I'd rather have my phone stolen or accidentally broken by someone then one of my favorite knives. I don't care about my phone, it's just a replaceable piece of hardware which is more of an annoyance anyway but steal a man's knife and it's personal buddy :(

I carry my 943 more than my 940... especially after swapping scales for G10 (I use the black aluminum scales on the 940).

Much as I want to buy a 943, it's not enough of a priority that I'll pay the prices I've been seeing on the exchange lately. $8-17 off retail for a second hand knife that is still in production? (Some of them have even been missing original packaging items - I don't care about those things; but if you're trying to get every possible penny for a second hand knife, they've got to be there.)
I'm somewhat surprised that they're being snatched up at those prices; but maybe there's some quick behind the scenes negotiation happening.
I'll probably buy one before the model is discontinued - not rumor mongering, just not planning any more folder purchases in the near future - planning on going new unless I happen to catch a good deal on the Exchange.

Much as I want to buy a 943, it's not enough of a priority that I'll pay the prices I've been seeing on the exchange lately. $8-17 off retail for a second hand knife that is still in production? (Some of them have even been missing original packaging items - I don't care about those things; but if you're trying to get every possible penny for a second hand knife, they've got to be there.)
I'm somewhat surprised that they're being snatched up at those prices; but maybe there's some quick behind the scenes negotiation happening.
I'll probably buy one before the model is discontinued - not rumor mongering, just not planning any more folder purchases in the near future - planning on going new unless I happen to catch a good deal on the Exchange.
That's crazy indeed. I'll admid I wouldn't have gone for it if I didn't gift a 940-2 and sold a pm2 (of which I have too many anyway).

I have years of experience with 940s and I'm glad I finally stopped doubting my gut and went for the 943. I've been carrying it nonstop and I'm very impressed honestly.
Also surprised it hasn't gained more traction because it is quite honestly one of the most well balanced knives I've handled. The clippoint pierces excellent and it slices very well too, and I don't feel like it needs to be handled gently. I'm very impressed and after a week of carrying it it exceeded my initial expectations.

Very sexy as well. Ha!

You know I would put it past Benchmade to discontinue it seeing as the well received 710 also got the axe (why?). I'm glad I took the plunge and I can recommend it.

Mine is still as spotless as it came from the factory but I just want to take it to town and get some good wear on it already, I imagine it will look like a beast a few years from now!

I really like the 943 and been wanting to get one for a while. I was hoping there would be some black friday sales on them, but havn't seen any so far.

I got one off here used last week. It's sweet, I love it. I wouldn't mind the reverse tanto blade but I like this blade shape a lot better. More classic.

I got one off here used last week. It's sweet, I love it. I wouldn't mind the reverse tanto blade but I like this blade shape a lot better. More classic.
That's how I felt as well. One of the better clip point designs I've handled, excellent excellent piercing capabilities and well balanced in terms of thickness (if that is the correct term, English is my 3rd language haha). It strikes a good balance between strength in build quality, piercing capabilities and still a good slicer with a 15 degree bevel.
I'm debating whether to take the edge up by a degree or 2 less but I'm not convinced that it's worth the tradeoff in overall strength for a bit better slicing. Metal once lost is hard to glue back on.

If I got this before I got a fact I most likely would have passed on the fact. Main reason I kept that one around is because it's a serialized first run edition and I have nothing like it in my collection.
It's been a month now and I've carried it daily, it's only now that I'm carrying a 940 again because the 943 is still on the sharpening bench and I haven't gotten around to putting the thumbstuds back on because I misplaced my torx tools haha!

Back