Just curious..

What is your absolute favourite handle material?

• Wood

• TeroTuf

• G10

• Canvas Micarta Buffed

• Canvas Micarta Unbuffed

• Linen Micarta Buffed

• Linen Micarta Unbuffed

• Antique Micarta Buffed

• Antique Micarta Unbuffed

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like G10, the unbuffed micarta is nice too, never had the antique micarta but have a NASK coming with some antique.

Wood is quite nice but I always feel like I'm going to damage it.

It's entirely possible I am wrong, and Nathan has produced some flat cut antique micarta - and if so, perhaps he would have image comparisons between it and edgecut. Otherwise, you will probably never see any unless someone else shows them.

11.jpg~original

^ flat cut on top

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the only difference is the grain orientation :D

On a serious note, is the fourth edc down what you would consider "streaky"? If so I'm glad that's what I ordered. That one looks awesome.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the only difference is the grain orientation :D

On a serious note, is the fourth edc down what you would consider "streaky"? If so I'm glad that's what I ordered. That one looks awesome.

Yeah. We actually got into some really interesting stuff in the batch we processed for the pre-order. I think you're going to be really happy, it's gorgeous. Some of the best looking material I've ever used.

Yeah. We actually got into some really interesting stuff in the batch we processed for the pre-order. I think you're going to be really happy, it's gorgeous. Some of the best looking material I've ever used.

Are the edge cut and flat cuts different in that you cut with the grain as opposed to across the grain? Kind of like cutting wood down the middle with the grain, or batoning cross grain?

Thanks for that comparison image, Nathan. I knew I had seen a piece or two of it flat cut, but had no idea where I would find it to meet Mat's request. On a similar note, I think the size and shape of the FK lends itself more to a spread of edgecut pattern than a shorter frame does. But just IMO.

Personally, I think Nathan hit a home run for all of us when he acquired this more recent cache of antique micarta. It's just such beautiful stuff!

Are the edge cut and flat cuts different in that you cut with the grain as opposed to across the grain? Kind of like cutting wood down the middle with the grain, or batoning cross grain?

Yup. This is old material surplus to the boat building industry and was being used to make a bearing (a long time ago). It's not a sheet, it has to be slabbed. At first I oriented it in the normal way, but I realized the edge cut was a very cool look.

Yup. This is old material surplus to the boat building industry and was being used to make a bearing (a long time ago). It's not a sheet, it has to be slabbed. At first I oriented it in the normal way, but I realized the edge cut was a very cool look.

Very cool look indeed! Those must be some really thick slabs of micarta to be able to get an edge cut out of them!

Very cool look indeed! Those must be some really thick slabs of micarta to be able to get an edge cut out of them!

It comes as a solid cylinder designed to be bored out to create a seal around a propellor shaft. It's a way old method, designed to replace lignum vitae.

It comes as a solid cylinder designed to be bored out to create a seal around a propellor shaft. It's a way old method, designed to replace lignum vitae.

Ah, makes sense now. I had some old slip joints made out of lignum vitae, some beautiful wood! Thanks for the info!

I went with requesting the the darker hue on NASK because according to Mr. B and Justin, the lighter ones tend to darken with age due to oxidization.

Linen micarta. Strong enough and nothing beats its silky smooth, yet subtle, textured feel!

Linen micarta. Strong enough and nothing beats its silky smooth, yet subtle, textured feel!

Love linen! In particular when it's a bolster against wood.

So Linen is the best.

Well, unless it's Butterscotch. Then I PREFER it to be paper. Or Nathan's Vintage. Then it's gotta be canvas edge cut.

Here is an awesome example Mat. Canvas and paper Butterscotch micarta by Westinghouse. The more Orange colour is fresh cut, the outside is the final oxidized colour.

View attachment 768616

This is about as dark as Nathan's vintage micarta gets:

View attachment 768619

Man, I love those racing stripes in that butterscotch micarta! Is it all the way through or just superficial marking?

Back