Just finished my first knives (5 instead of 1) Gyuto & Petty

And my first time posting here after lurking through the forums for the past 6 months. First off THANK YOU ALL for the information you have consistently been providing here. I also posted over in the Gallery but figured I would hone into the direct experts by posting here as well.

I started down this rabbit hole with zero woodworking and metal working experience. The only thing I had to go off of was my experience using kitchen knives and a lot of YouTube/this forum research. I started with the idea of why make just 1 knife, then try and remember all of the details in who-knows-how-long when I am on the next. Instead, I went with starting 7 knives.

This way I could improve through repetition on each step of the process then and there focusing on the details, challenges, etc. After working an hour here, an hour there for the past couple months I am proud to say I finally have 5 knives nearing completion, 1 warped to hell blank and a petty in 2 pieces.

I wanted to share my work with the community and get any and all feedback from you all, as you all have way more experience than I do. I forced myself to learn every step including heat treating, etching and saya cover making.

The knives are a collection of fun handles, a set of Buffalo Bills Home and Away Jersey colors, a Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt and some wild ones. The blades are made out of 15n20 and 1084, handles are maple burl, ebony, g10, and resin, depending on which knife you are looking at. I would love to see what you all think and get as much criticism as possible for the next wave of knives. Already plan to soften the cutting edge arch a bit, I am 6'4 and kitchen tables are notoriously low so subconsciously I made a more aggressive arch. Additionally, I think the heel on the Petty knives is a bit too pokey.

Thanks!
MacKenzie

Attachments

• all.jpg
    all.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Bills.jpg
    Bills.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Black Belt.jpg
    Black Belt.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 44