Just got a new style updated Buck Strider BU880SP Review

I thought I would post a review of the new style Buck Strider Spear Point BU880-SP. I just picked it up today and these are my initial reviews and thoughts.
New features are totally awsome.
The G-10 scales are not as rough, more smooth but still very grippy like an Al Mar G-10 scale in comparison. The G-10 grips great in the hand even with a glove on very secure grip as the previous version had. Edges are still not rounded but with the smooth G-10 it seems to bite your hand less.

BIG IMPROVEMENTS are the pocket clip is reversable from right side carry to left side carry and there are DOUBLE thumbstuds!!! Cool feature for all you lefties out there.

Another big plus is in the bronze bearingS (washers)
The bronze washer on the non liner side is HUGE the surface area of the washer takes up all of the blade and wraps around the stop pin halfway. It is three times the size of the old washer. This dramatically improves the feel of the knife blade being very solid there is ZERO detectable blade play in this knife.

The blade just feels more solid. The other washer is a full washer not the three spacer style washers of old.

This is just my initial look over of the new upgraded Buck Strider

I will post pics soon

The slight design changes and addition of the double thumbstuds makes this knife even greater!

Buck/Striders are really doing a great job with these folders.

Forgot to add
Another big change and this one is really cool also is that the Ti-liner lock is flame treated it has the same color as an AR GB custom Strider liner. Meaning its heat treated and this will improve wear and eliminates any sticking of the liner due to the softer Ti against the hard ATS 34 blade.

All of these improvements and the same price point. This is a hell of a deal and with the upgraded features this one replaces my old BU880SP Strider Buck as my new EDC.

This is the sleeper knife of the year due to the great changes Buck and the Strider guys have made to this knife. IMO it brings it way closer to the actual custom AR and GB

After all this I still can't wait to get the new SBT Buck/Strider it will be the knife of the year IMO!!!

Looking closer at the new Buck Strider 880SP I notice that there is a slight bevel to the G-10 handle scales all the way around this is the reason the g-10 doesn't bite on the edges like the older models. A really nice touch.

I am so impressed with this newer version (if you guys can tell) ;)

Anyway if you were thinking about getting a Buck/Strider full size knife this is it with the upgrades!

Hey Josh,

Are these some of things I can look forward to seeing done on my 880 tanto that I sent in to be looked at? You mentioned the changing of the G10 scales, and heat treat on the liner. Sounds great, can't wait to have it back..

Originally posted by Gstop
Hey Josh,

Are these some of things I can look forward to seeing done on my 880 tanto that I sent in to be looked at? You mentioned the changing of the G10 scales, and heat treat on the liner. Sounds great, can't wait to have it back..

Yes sir, we'll give it a tune up. I will look into setting up a low cost system for anyone to send in and get theirs re-worked with the new scales. But for now, we'll take care of you.

SF

Josh

Awesome!!! Now thats what I'm talking about..Forgot to ask if it included addressing the washer issue and thumbstuds? I'm sure mine has the old style washer set-up and was non-ambi. If costs are involved let me know, might as well give it a real "tuneup" as long as it already in the shop...

Cory
Those pics are pretty much what I was going to post also
Thanks for posting the pics to back up what I was trying to explain.

Check out the bearing (washer) surface area!

My new Buck Strider has replaced my old one as my EDC and my old one rides in my truck.

This is the most solid lock up I have felt on a production knife. It is super tight and the blade is perfectly centered. I find this quality on oly the best custom knives and then occasionally not even on full customs!

Again get a Buck/Strider in the new updated configuration you will be amazed!

Very nice review, spartan_ajax. Thanks.

Mr. Rummerfield (or anyone else)
Where can you get the new version of the 880SP? I looked on the internet and could only find the older version being sold. I'm left handed so I would prefer the double thumb stud.

Thanks for your help.

TTQUAD

TTQUAD,
I was able to get the new style 880SP from knifeworks.com a week ago. Excellent price, outstanding quality.

Ajax, let me know what you think about the new SBT, I saw the picture today, I am going to have to get one as well.

Ranger757,

I just checked out a friends SBT today! He got it from a dealer.
I am waiting on mine because I can get Buck/Striders from a wholesaler here in CT area at or near cost. Even at full $150.00 retail or internet retail $135.00 or so, the SBT is one hell of a great knife.
The design inputs from Tarani and Strider really make the knife.
I especially like the roughed up top section for two hand openings very secure opening method. The thumb hole is perfectly placed and is easily opened left or right handed and I am not ambi oriented, I can imagine a lefty LOVING this knife.
One commendable additon to the Buck/Striders is the ambi studs and reversable pocket clips that they are using now.
I am thinking of setting my SBT up right side carry and setting my BU880SP up for left side carry, the knive are that good and I want both as my EDC. Like I said I am waiting to get one back channel from my source at cost so my wait might be a bit longer than some of the guys who are getting SBT's as we speak!
I was a bit sceptical of the Zytel handles, in the past having broken Spyderco endura handle scales, but these are thick and seem very heavy duty. The checkering on them is perfect and in the time I played with my friends SBT cutting a few things the knife held my hand great, no slip. It also has no give when gripped super hard in the hand, some folders I feel flex when gripped strong but no the SBT.

The finger choil area is great also something I wish the BU880SP had but it does take some blade away to be there.

The SBT blade is a thick spear point and I love the design. It mirrors the SnG so you know its got a great design and a heavily field tested past from Mick and Duane. I heard Mick cut a 6 inch tree in half with an SnG and a hammer on the spine, while the SBT might not make this test ( I think it would ) It is still a very heavy duty folder. Its hard to explain but holding the SBT today I got the feeling that its a real solid knife. You know its perfect when you pick it up.
Razor sharp out of the box, my friend was amazed at how sharp it is. Sharpen than my new 880SP out of box.
The liner lock is a bit thin or should I say thinner than the 880SP liner. But and this is a big BUT! Its not Ti and actually the steel version is stronger than Ti IMO. Ti liners need to be flame treated to hold up and not gum up on the harder blade steel. Anyway the SBT Buck Striders are way cool. I noticed ZERO blade play and it had a smooth opening.
I will be interested in seeing how the liner wears in.

I had a tough time giving it back!

I would also say that there are rumors of a version with G-10 scales and S30V steel that ones is on my list also to get but the current version is the knife of the year IMO meaning THE KNIFE OF THE YEAR for 2003 and 2004!!!!

Originally posted by Hotrod
So... can you pop these open? :cool:

Or flick, or whatever ya wanna call it!

Yes, the blade is heavy and allows a very smooth flick out motion. This method of deployment can be fun, however we recommend a controlled opening using thumbstuds to ensure proper deployment.

Thanks,

Josh

Back