Just got my Calypso today - Yippeee!

As I wrote to the Spyderco forum, I just wanted to share my joy with you all here...

I took delivery of the Micarta Calypso (full size) plain edge today that I've been waiting for. Is it ever nice. Oh yeah.

It seems rich, smooth and tight. The blade is razor sharp and brilliant to look at. it practically "falls through" an orange when slicing. It glides into and out of my pocket almost effortlessly, and pretty much "disappears" once stashed away. Man, am I impressed with this knife.

(cut and paste from other forum follows)

And you know, while I was buying this one I took a brief look at the Calypso Jr. Micarta plain edge that this fellow also has for sale... As I reminded myself that I had clearly decided to wait and buy a Calypso Jr. lightweight instead. Now that I'm home admiring the Calypso (Sr.) I think it's likely (inevitable?) that I will be back for the Jr. Micarta before the weeks out. AUS-8 steel was the reason I had made my mind up a week ago not to buy it too, which now seems silly. I have another knife in AUS-8 that is incredible, and the testimonial of others here who remind me that there is not a damned thing wrong with this steel. Just because VG-10 may be better in some respects doesn't mean that I should pass up the chance to buy this other discontinued knife while I can (for a really good price I might add) in the excellent AUS-8 steel.

Grinning like an idiot...Jeff/1911.

Congratulations!
You are clearly wise and handsome man as you picked the best user Spyderco around. Large Calypso has been my favorite since I got it. Only thing I would add to it is titanium handles (and maybe compression lock). After that I would like it more than any other knife I know.

Ti Calypso - AAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

------------------
"Good tools to sustain life, or at least make life more convenient"
-James Mattis

Tommi,

Thanks for the reply and your kind words. I agree completely.

I liked it so much that this AM I had to go back and buy the "little brother" to the Calypso model...a Micarta Calypso Jr. w/ plain edge.

I notice that this Calypso has no gold Spyder on the clip. I thought that they all did. Is this true, do you know?

Jeff/1911.

You forced me to get out of my chair on go check mine. It does indeed have a gold Spyder. Glad to hear you like your purchase.

I bought my sister the new lightweight Calypso Jr. for Christmas last year. I'm not much of a fan of plastic handles but that little knife was hard to give away. Wicked sharp, good steel, and incredibly light. I'll have to get one for myself one of these days.

Gregg

Tulsamal,

That's what I've heard about the lightweight Calypso...I'm planning to buy one too eventually.

I suppose I could get one of these and swap the clip with my Micarta model (the lightweight models have a gold spyder) because then it would match better with my full size Micarta Calypso.

Ahhhh, to have such problems...

Jeff/1911.

Back