Just got my first Spyderco. Already thinking about what one I'll buy next..

The title pretty much says it all.

It had been a few years since I purchased any folder, but the Tube's algorithm got me good with a video recommendation on the "Best New EDC's of 2020" blah blah blah. I opted to try Spyderco out, having already owned my fair share of BM, Kershaw, SOG, etc knives.

It was a remarkably tough decision on a model, but after finding a deal that seemed hard to beat, I went with a Manix 2 in S110V. It arrived in the mail and I played with it for hours (I had to get the flip down). All of this brings us back to the title..

If I didn't go with the Manix 2, I would have bought a PM2. And after searching through the first few pages of the forum, I've already found multiple models that seem worth of joining my collection. Most notably, the recently released REC in 10V. With that being said, I'd love to hear what other variants you guys would recommend. Or should I just suck it up and pay the aftermarket price on 10V?

Thanks for any help!

Congratulations on the Manix 2 S110V, A knife that will last a lifetime. I purchased the G10 version as my first Spyderco too.

There are so many nice Spyderco knives to choose from in different shapes, Materials, Lock types, And Blade steels. What I noticed from watching limited YouTube videos in the infancy of my Spyderco addiction, Was that most reviewers didn't really use the knives. So how do they give a informed review? Now I watch videos from GP Knives and other avenues that show me (overview )the knife I'm already interested in!

That being said, If your interested in a PM2 that's not a standard production model , There's ALWAYS the next sprint /exclusive in the pipeline. No need to fuel the ebay crowd IMHO. Enjoy your Manix 2 and your time in the Spydieverse!

Congratulations on the Manix 2 S110V, A knife that will last a lifetime. I purchased the G10 version as my first Spyderco too.

There are so many nice Spyderco knives to choose from in different shapes, Materials, Lock types, And Blade steels. What I noticed from watching limited YouTube videos in the infancy of my Spyderco addiction, Was that most reviewers didn't really use the knives. So how do they give a informed review? Now I watch videos from GP Knives and other avenues that show me (overview )the knife I'm already interested in!

That being said, If your interested in a PM2 that's not a standard production model , There's ALWAYS the next sprint /exclusive in the pipeline. No need to fuel the ebay crowd IMHO. Enjoy your Manix 2 and your time in the Spydieverse!

Yeah, it's a whole new world. It will take a while to familiarize with all the new acronyms, names, etc.

I signed up for emails from REC and followed them on FB. Any other pages to follow that get similar sprint runs?

In the meantime, I have a price in mind for the 10V and will be watching the exchange closely. If one pops up at the right price, I'll snag it.

CPM-10V is comparable to Bohler K390. Bento Box Shop has a production model of the PM2 in K390 — full disclosure I just bought one a few weeks ago and am absolutely loving it at work.

Thanks for the rec. I will look into that now. It has been a while since I've researched blade steels and it's safe to say I have forgotten what little I knew lol

The title pretty much says it all.

It had been a few years since I purchased any folder, but the Tube's algorithm got me good with a video recommendation on the "Best New EDC's of 2020" blah blah blah. I opted to try Spyderco out, having already owned my fair share of BM, Kershaw, SOG, etc knives.

It was a remarkably tough decision on a model, but after finding a deal that seemed hard to beat, I went with a Manix 2 in S110V. It arrived in the mail and I played with it for hours (I had to get the flip down). All of this brings us back to the title..

If I didn't go with the Manix 2, I would have bought a PM2. And after searching through the first few pages of the forum, I've already found multiple models that seem worth of joining my collection. Most notably, the recently released REC in 10V. With that being said, I'd love to hear what other variants you guys would recommend. Or should I just suck it up and pay the aftermarket price on 10V?

Thanks for any help!

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with Spyderco’s S30V steel. They do an excellent heat treat on all their steels.
With that in mind, here’s what I’ve learned about scumbag flippers. When a sprint is offered, it sells out in a matter of a couple of minutes. Then, the worthless flippers start listing them at or above retail prices. Some people want one badly enough to pay the lowlife flippers price. But if you learn to have patience, the price on the sprint will come down to an acceptable price.
I set the price I’m willing to pay for a sprint, start looking on the exchange for it, and wait until the price is within my set price. I’ve already seen a sprint manix 2 listed for a stupidly high price by a piece of crap flipper. Take the time to look at a seller’s profile page and you can see where they post at and you’ll know if they’re a flipper.
If you’re going to use your knife, the steel is secondary, they all get dull with use. If you want bragging rights and don’t want pay retail, be patient. Think about down the road if you decide to sell it and the loss you’ll incur if you pay way over for what they sold at.

At this point, I'm trying to collect knives of different steels. I have a BM in S30V and while I would like to see how the two makers compare using the same steel, I'm just not there yet.

I'm also willing to pay more than retail, but certainly within limits. What and/or how much I will use these knives may depend on that "feeling" you get (or don't) when it's just right.

Hi, bmilla35. You started with the Spyderco I was going to recommend, and the one that will most likely be my next Spyderco. I saw that you are looking to try different steels. Maybe try one of the Salt models with the H1 steel and the FRN grips. I have one of the old style Salt 1 models in all black with a black serrated edge blade that I've been carrying as a neck knife for years. Love it! I also like my recently purchased glow in the dark Delica as well. It's in VG10 steel and, like my Salt 1, very nicely sized for daily carry and smooooth to open and close. I also just got a Siren in LC200N steel. The knife didn't come well lubricated, but it's opening smoothly now. LC200N is supposed to be almost stain proof and holds and is said to hold an edge pretty well. The Siren is very ergonomic and just melts into my hand.

You need a Delica. Not everything has to be in unobtanium steel to be a really good knife! And "the flick" is equivalent to fidget spinners but each to his own in that regard.

Hi, bmilla35. You started with the Spyderco I was going to recommend, and the one that will most likely be my next Spyderco. I saw that you are looking to try different steels. Maybe try one of the Salt models with the H1 steel and the FRN grips. I have one of the old style Salt 1 models in all black with a black serrated edge blade that I've been carrying as a neck knife for years. Love it! I also like my recently purchased glow in the dark Delica as well. It's in VG10 steel and, like my Salt 1, very nicely sized for daily carry and smooooth to open and close. I also just got a Siren in LC200N steel. The knife didn't come well lubricated, but it's opening smoothly now. LC200N is supposed to be almost stain proof and holds and is said to hold an edge pretty well. The Siren is very ergonomic and just melts into my hand.

Hi Kelorgo, good to hear that you’ve got your Siren functioning properly, hope that was just some debris that got flushed out of there. I have a couple and I can assure you that they are VERY smooth so that binding you had going on was definitely not normal. Again, sorry you had an issue with your new knife but thanks for being able to look past that and still judge the design objectively.

Ive carried nothing but my shaman since getting it and enjoying the Rex 45....oddly enuff I'm eyeing up a spydie in k390 too....curious about that steel...manix 2, delica and shaman imo are all must haves

Welcome to the club and congratulations on your 1st Spyderco purchase, OP!

The 1st Spyderco that I ever purchased was a Gen 1 Endura that I bought in the 90's (that I still own) but that was long before I decided to start to collect knives just a few years ago. The 1st knife that purchased which started me on my new hobby was a Manix 2 XL that I spotted at a gun show.

The "problem" with collecting Spydercos is that there are so many interesting variations available. We each choose to buy/collect things based on our particular preferences. Blade steel isn't of great importance to me because I don't actually use any of my knives. So, while I own knives made w/almost every variety of steel available I have no specific suggestions in this regard.

The quality of the design/ styling/ergos and the uniqueness/rarity of a knife are what appeal to me most and there is no lack of such things in the Spyderco line (both past and present), which is why I own so many of them.

Good luck deciding on your next Spyderco purchase. ;)

Last edited:
Every self respecting spydie lover needs at least one Salt knife. I have my favorites but I’m biased. :cool:
I have somehow got up to 4 of em, but I do live 30 seconds from the lake and 30 minutes from the 'cific. Been carrying the Aqua Salt for my walk for a while now, can't wait to try it in the ocean as soon as summer comes.

IMG_4348.jpg

Back