Just got my Mackinac Hunter back from Steve.

Interesting work. I would like to see another view of the blade straight on from the side.

Interesting work. I would like to see another view of the blade straight on from the side.

IMG_20150520_152053.jpg~320x480
IMG_20150520_152130.jpg~320x480
IMG_20150520_152119.jpg~320x480

Looks great! All I did to my LSH was whittle out some wood and lacquer it, that looks much better! It inspires me to try again with some nicer wood and take my time to make it look more professional. Mine also helped to thicken up the handle as I wanted it to feel more substantial width-wise. Both models are just begging to have custom scales made for them!

Looks great! All I did to my LSH was whittle out some wood and lacquer it, that looks much better! It inspires me to try again with some nicer wood and take my time to make it look more professional. Mine also helped to thicken up the handle as I wanted it to feel more substantial width-wise. Both models are just begging to have custom scales made for them!

Nice!

Aesthetically, with the black polished G-10, it reminds me somewhat of the Black Rhino. But overall, I prefer the lines of the Mackinac Hunter over the Black Rhino. Both have some solid weight, but the MH has a narrower profile than the BR, making for a more comfortable carry.

I have had this knife for a couple of years. I often toyed with the idea of custom scales, but never was ready to pull the trigger, until Cold Steel discontinued the knife. Sad day, because the MH (And Lone Star Hunter) is a unique knife in their lineup. It is the Triad, in arguably it's strongest incarnation in the production line-the Triad, in a full on, thick slabbed, Stainless Steel handle. My MH is now broken in nicely, but damn the lockup is just balls on tight. Beyond no blade play, it feel like a full tang fixed blade, the lockup is so tight.

So with the scales on it, it is the ideal, sheeple friendly, gentleman folder (that can eat up the abuse).

Here is a pic of it with my SP101

IMG_20150520_165052.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
Custom scales completely transforms the look of this knife.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying it!
Seriously thinking of picking one of these up for myself.

I might have to buy one now just to get Steve to make me a pair of scales for it. I too am in Phoenixish (lol, love that term). Great work, Steve. :cool:

Your upgrade inspired me. Stopped by Cold Steel today and scooped up a Lone Star Hunter, the last one they had in stock. It is a large beast and this example is crazy smooth. Nice! The showroom is sweet and was pretty busy. Now to figure out what kind of scales to put on it.

17799497809_08a7e6cb54_c.jpg

17799498579_d98c0d4829_c.jpg

Your upgrade inspired me. Stopped by Cold Steel today and scooped up a Lone Star Hunter, the last one they had in stock. It is a large beast and this example is crazy smooth. Nice! The showroom is sweet and was pretty busy. Now to figure out what kind of scales to put on it.

17799497809_08a7e6cb54_c.jpg

17799498579_d98c0d4829_c.jpg
Gray g10 to match the back spacer, could be a way to go

Yeah, that would be cool. I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate orange. Thanks for the inspiration :thumbup:

Yeah, that would be cool. I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate orange. Thanks for the inspiration :thumbup:

Getting an orange backspacer made for it would look VERY cool. Not sure how easy it would be though. If memory serves me it is aluminum so it could be anodized, or since it is recessed a little, paint would probably hold up pretty well. That would be the easiest way to do it yourself for sure.

Has anybody figured out a way to add a lanyard to one? A lot of the "folding hunter" slip joints the LSH was based on had lanyard holes, it would be a nice added feature if Cold Steel were to ever bring it back..

Nice mods. I was initially put off by the weight of my Mack. Then after I got used to it I realized that I had a tank of a knife, which impressed me.

Back