Just got my Ontario RTak ii. Need advice.

Hi Guys,

Kshitij here from Mumbai, India.

I just now received my rtak ii that i had ordered online. Was damn excited to finally have it delivered to me after having had to wait for almost half a month.

When i opened the package i was immediately put off to find out that the knife had no edge sharpness what so ever. Anyways moving past that, what really has got me in splits is two things, (1) the knife does not have the triangular RAT logo with the OKC and ontario/rat top and bottom rockers etched on the blade. It only just has RTAK ii etched just above the handle on one side and OKC USA etched on the other. (2) the knife came in a black coloured box package that is very different to the white one (the one like the condor box) that i have seen in the online unboxing videos.

I request fellow member TOOJ to kindly confirm if the knife received by me is counterfeit. I would appriciate a quick reply since i have also ordered a tak1, ranger tfi and rat 5 from the same site and would like to cancel my order if there is anything fishy going on.

If this knife does turn out to be counterfeit, it would suck big time since i have paid close to 250 USD for this knife after customs and shipping!

Also please confirm what steel the rtak ii is made of since some places it says 5160 and other say 1095...

thanks

Kshitij,

Please post some pictures. Straight side shots next to a ruler; Both sides; Close ups of the logs.
Since you are only a registered user you will have to download the pictures to a photo hosting site and then link the urls to your Bladeforums post.
After you post the pics then we can look to see if it is a counterfeit.

The original RTAK had 1095 as the steel. About 3 years ago that was changed to 5160 steel.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Tooj,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Will post images shortly. An email id would help me do that faster since the process you mention seems to be tedious to do on a cellphone

Meanwhile can you atleast confirm if your newer rtak knives do or do not have the RAT logo.

Thanks for clarifying on the steel too.

-Kshitij

Kshitij,

Click on my name. You can private message me in my viewer profile site.
I'll check on what is currently logo'd

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Without seeing it, I ordered a rat 1 a few months ago and the logo looked different than expected. I contacted Ontario knife company and they confirmed that the knife was authentic. Apparently their rights to the old logo were up and they redesigned a new logo. Many people still use old stock photos though.

kshitij,

Your RTAKII looks good. There is no longer the RAT Logo on the blade as the licensing agreement between Jeff Randall and Ontario is no longer in effect. These look to be the ones made from 5160 steel.
Sorry about the edges. We took a long hard look at the sharpening operation and it has improved tremendously. However, yours was probably shipped prior to the sharpening change.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Wow! What a relief that is.
Dont stress yourself over the edge. I can put one on it just fine.
One suggestion though, do update the product images on your website, the mismatch in appearance can leave customers confused.
Look forward to receiving my other Ontario knives.
Thanks for clearing my confusion.
Cheers

Wow! What a relief that is.
Dont stress yourself over the edge. I can put one on it just fine.
One suggestion though, do update the product images on your website, the mismatch in appearance can leave customers confused.
Look forward to receiving my other Ontario knives.
Thanks for clearing my confusion.
Cheers

I'm the admin for the website. This has been one of the goals we have in mind for the site, and we've made some progress. Hopefully we'll have them all updated soon. Even in cases where the picture is accurate, as cameras and images get better over time, there's always that need to keep retaking pictures.

Great. The rtak is my first ontario knife. Got a few more coming in.

Last edited:
Back