Just got new Sebenza

I received my very first Sebenza today. I bought it without ever seeing one in person. When the package arrived I immediately tore into the box and carefully unwrapped the tissue paper from around the knife. Before doing anything else, I looked over the gentle curves of the knife and admired the finish. Then I opened it and experienced the finest lock I've ever felt on a folding knife. After soaking in it's beauty awhile I rubbed my thumb over the mirror-like edge. Then after running frantically around the house looking for a bandaid, I put it in my pocket and tested the new style clip. This is a very nice knife. I have one question though. The knife seems a little stiff while I'm opening it. I've seen reference around the forum to a break-in period. What can I do to loosen it up a little, while still maintaining the solid lockup?

I just received my first sebenza about 2 weeks ago and like you was experiencing some stiffness when opening and also my lock would stick when trying to close. Normally this would irritate the crap out of me, especially considering what you pay for a sebbi, but I did my homework way before my purchase so I kind of expected it. I used the search function to see what other sebbi owners had to say and they are basically split down the middle, those who like to take their knife apart right away and clean and those that prefer to go through a break-in period before cleaning. I opted to go with the break-in period before cleaning. Every chance I had I took the sebbi out of my pocket and opened-closed, opened-closed etc....etc...etc.... It took me about a week before I started to work out the kinks in the knife but now after 2 weeks it feels really smooth. I think I'll give it about another week then take it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube job.

Just my .02 based on my limited experience with my knife. Your actual mileage may vary.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by mojo jojo (edited 04-06-2001).]

Well, I went ahead and took it apart and cleaned it. Its a little smoother, but do they ever get so smooth that you could flip it open from a fully closed position. I would never do this with my new $300.00 knife, but I'm just wondering how loose it will get. I handled an Allen Elishewitz knife once that was truly smooth as butter and I'm hoping this one will be like that soon.

The "stiffness" that most people refer to when talking about Sebenzas has nothing to do with how "smooth" it is usually. (I put these words in quotes because they are somewhat subjective IMO.) Most people who are used to linerlocks and flicking open knives mention how much more resistance there is when opening the Sebenza. This is usually caused by the fact that the integral lock on the Sebenza puts more pressure on the blade than your typical linerlock.

When the Sebenza is open and you push the lock bar over far enough that it is no longer in contact with the blade, you will find that the action is indeed very smooth. Sometimes putting a dab of grease on the ball bearing detent will make the pressure from the lock less noticable. I actually like the little bit of resistance offered by the lock because it makes opening and closing the knife a little more controlled. If your lockbar is sticking a little then a tiny bit of grease on the end of the bar should lessen that. It won't take much.

I was bored tonight and disassembled, cleaned and lubed my Small Sebenza which I had not done in several months. I mainly did this so that I could soak the anodized spacer in Windex. My bronze washers are very polished now, so there might be some break in, but mine have all been smooth right out of the box. YMMV I suppose.

Paul

I would second the windex and then rinse
in water.A few weeks ago there was a great
post on cleaning your sebenza I tried it and
it worked wonders ,really improved the action.Try searching for it in this forum,
I hope this helps.

If you push the lockbar back so it's just barely not touching the blade, the blade should free fall from the open position. If it does, it's smooth. If not, take it apart, clean it, a little oil on the bearing, and it'll be fine. Tighten it up just to the point where any tighter, the blade won't free fall, as described. Don't worry, it's a great knife, it'll smooth out a little as you use it. The longer you have it, the more you'll like it. Trust me.

Pete

Back