Just got this Cold Steel

I've been looking at the KnifeMaker's Market here and there are some crazy good makers here. There were a couple of nice looking Bowies that left me wanting one. I saw this Cold Steel for what I thought was an exceptional price so I went for it.

I think it's pretty cool and it makes me want to get one of those Bowies I see in the Exchange even more. This might be the start of an entirely new part of my collection. For a long time, folders have been pretty much it with a few fixed blades thrown in but I'm really starting to look at fixed blades a little differently.

Cold Steel Natchez Bowie.jpg

I've got that knife ,it's pretty awesome. If I was going to quibble I might prefer the handle in kraton like the Trailmaster.

Nice! I love Cold Steel.

I own two of their Finn Wolf models and their AD10. The frames are very tough and they arrive razor sharp out of the box.

I've been looking at the KnifeMaker's Market here and there are some crazy good makers here. There were a couple of nice looking Bowies that left me wanting one. I saw this Cold Steel for what I thought was an exceptional price so I went for it.

I think it's pretty cool and it makes me want to get one of those Bowies I see in the Exchange even more. This might be the start of an entirely new part of my collection. For a long time, folders have been pretty much it with a few fixed blades thrown in but I'm really starting to look at fixed blades a little differently.

View attachment 1537125
Great fighting bowie , IMO . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a Natchez Bowie in O1 steel , Rosewood looking handle .

I keep it on my nightstand along with a Laredo Bowie . They comfort me and ease my beauty rest . :)

Nice CS. Here the closest knife I have to it. Black Jack 1-7.
51082440463_1eb5422082_b.jpg

Rich K.

Not sure what steel this is. I assumed O-1 but I can't find an image with this type of handle. No marking on the blade which seem normal.

View attachment 1537125

beautiful :thumbsup::cool: i'm impressed

SK5. All O-1 blades are marked O-1.

Even stranger. Seems like the san mai and O-1 steels are marked as such. I've briefly ooked at images and most of those looked like generic ones to announce its release, advertise and/or sell the knife and didn't have a stamped steel on them. The handle on mine is different than pretty much all I've seen also.

Looking around a bit more this morning, I think it has SK-5 steel for the blade. Very cool.

Even stranger. Seems like the san mai and O-1 steels are marked as such. I've briefly ooked at images and most of those looked like generic ones to announce its release, advertise and/or sell the knife and didn't have a stamped steel on them. The handle on mine is different than pretty much all I've seen also.

Looking around a bit more this morning, I think it has SK-5 steel for the blade. Very cool.
The first Natchez I ever saw in person was at the Cold Steel parking lot sale back in May of 2012. It had the same greenish/grey handle as yours and was SK5. It was about a year later when the O1 models were made available. I purchased a few of the SK5's when they went on clearance due to the new O1's. The handles were all reddish/orange in color. A short time after the O1's came out they changed handle material on the Natchez and Laredo to micarta. The red/orange O1 models went on sale and I purchased some of those as well.

Those were the days! Cold Steel would send a new catalog every year in addition to their Special Projects Christmas and Summer Sale flyers. Then every 3 or 4 years you could get a new Proof DVD or VHS video at no charge. There was even a time when they hosted their own forum. Twice a year they had parking lot sales and even a Cold Steel Challenge in September. The Cold Steel staff was always friendly and answered any questions you might have had. They even had a parking lot sale in October 2020. Little did anybody know that it would be the last one!

I didn't pick up on you saying it was SK5. Had to figure it out myself!

Everything you wrote about Cold Steel is why I didn't think too long about getting it. It looked cool and I knew there was a possibility there wouldn't be one like it again.

Back