Just how do I "fix" a Mora handle?

Based on the rave reviews of the Eriksson Moras, I picked up on of the classic red-handled examples. I've burned the paint off already, but one other modification I've seen mentioned intrigues me.

Several people have said that they fill the hollow in the wood handle with epoxy. Sounds good - but how do you get the stuff in there? The "bolster" fits quite tightly to the blade, and I see no way to inject epoxy into the small gap.

So, folks, how do you accomplish the feat? (Pictures always appreciated!).

-=[ grant]=-

I've redone a few Moras, the plastic handled ones . I stripped off the handle and replaced it with a nice hard maple ones which I carved. In that case the drilled out handle is filled as best you can, with epoxy .The handle is inserted onto the tang and excess that oozes out is removed.The epoxy is pushed into the hole with a long thin rod like a 6" wooden Q stick.

We started a new forum! :cool:

ThreadMoving.jpg

Why don't you try building a puukko from scratch with the mateial from
Northcoast knives?

http://www.northcoastknives.com/

Go to their Finnish knives page for blades and parts.

I also like the basic utility puukko from Ragweed Forge; an easy one to "pimp" :)

Rich S

There are two ways to do it. Take the blade apart and fill the handle with epoxy and then re-insert the blade (wipe of excess). Or if you have a big enough space use a syringe without the needle.

Aside form that you could make a handle out of another peice of wood, or bone, antler, etc. Or you could take a piece of pvc pipe and rub vaseline on the inside then put the blade in (using a home made jig of carboard to stabilize the blade) and fill it with epoxy and make your own handle. Ive done this before with screwdrivers and tools. I even would write my name on a piece of paper and put it inside the handle (I did this at one of the jobs I use to work at as sometimes the tools wandered off).

The wood handled Mora's make neat little "mod" knives.
I took mine , sanded off the paint (handle is Birch I believe) , sanded finger grooves , stained it and sealed it lightly with Tung Oil.
Also you can blue the metal cap in between handle and blade for a neat look.
As far as epoxy in the handle , I just used a little a time in the hole and let it sink in and set , then did it over again until it was full and sanded it flush.
I also made a nice leather sheath for one of my Mora's.

rev_jch said:
There are two ways to do it. Take the blade apart and fill the handle with epoxy and then re-insert the blade (wipe of excess). Or if you have a big enough space use a syringe without the needle.

That's what I wondered...does the handle come off easily? (I'm imagining clamping the blade - with suitable protection - in a vise, and yanking the handle off. Is that how it's done?)

-=[ Grant ]=-

yes, you can. Just "ease" it a little at a time. Sometimes these are pinned on, but that is rare. Usually they are either glued, burned, or pressured in. Unless there is a visible pin in the handle it may be pressured on. If your not sure (and you thin its glued) you can heat it in an oven to about 275 degrees. Then when the glue begins to get hot and break down you can wiggle the blade off (but use gloves so you do not burn yourself).

Great! I'll give it a try.

Also, thanks to all the people here whose posts led me to Mora knives and Ragweed Forge. I'm actually enjoying these knives more than the far more expensive folders I own!

-=[ grant ]=-

Hey, nothing worng with that! Some people think you need to spend 300.00 on a knife to enjoy it. Some of the best using knives are the in-expenisive ones (but not always of course). Take for example, SAk's, Opinels, etc.

rev_jch said:

Aside form that you could make a handle out of another peice of wood, or bone, antler, etc. Or you could take a piece of pvc pipe and rub vaseline on the inside then put the blade in (using a home made jig of carboard to stabilize the blade) and fill it with epoxy and make your own handle. Ive done this before with screwdrivers and tools. I even would write my name on a piece of paper and put it inside the handle (I did this at one of the jobs I use to work at as sometimes the tools wandered off).

The PVC pipe is a great idea. I'm going to try it with auto body filler. I've used it before for modeling and it works well

Back