Just ordered a Chokwe!

The design of the Chokwe always sorta spoke to me. Today I just got tired of wanting one and waiting for a great deal on the forums. So I bit the bullet and ordered one. What does everyone think of this knife? I really love the way it looks.

Good for you! You will love it. I got mine last year around this time and it is the sweetest/fastest opening Spyderco I've ever owned. Super sharp and you gotta love the framelock on it. I think more people should give it a go. It really grows on you.

Yeah, I always feel the chokwe doesn't get the credit it deserves. I got one and to be honest I wasn't expecting much and only got it because it was a good offer. When it came I was totally
shocked at how good the quality was. It looked much better in person than it did on screen to me and I have loved it ever since. It's an amazing slicer, super smooth and like hiredgun says,
it has a great frame-lock. It is also alot more comfortable than it looks, to me anyway. Can't go wrong with the chokwe IMO.:thumbup:

It's made in Tawain right? I've noticed the Spydercos coming out of there have all been ridiculously smooth. The Sage 1 and Gayle Bradley I had were both that way. Really looking forward to it. Merry Christmas to me.

Since this thread is about the Chokwe, do any of you know how to pronounce the name?

Is it:

"Chalk we,"

"Chalk weigh,"

"Choke we,"

"Choke weigh,"

Other?

I think it is abeautiful design - slim, light, strong, and sharp. It isn't a chopper, but it is ideal for everyday tasks, and would make a nice kitchen utility. As a framelock, it even cleans up nicely.

I like Spyderco's ethnic knives. They give us an alternate outlook on how knives are seen elsewhere. Ironically, the Chokwe looks very "modern".

Greetings:

I've had one for a while and am very happy with it. I read a review somewhere that described it as a stunning display of fit and finish, and indeed it is meticulously constructed. Just looking at all of its precise details is gratifying, as is its striking design. Lots of folks have lots more Spydercos than I, although the two examples I have from Taiwan (the Chokwe and the Silver "S") generally have better fit and finish than the ones I have from Japan (e.g., the Lum Tanto Sprint and the J.D. Smith Sprint) and the U.S. (e.g., the Manix 2). All of the Spydercos I have exhibit pretty dang good fit and finish, though.

I agree with the other posters about its super sharpness and fast deployment.

Despite its materials and frame lock and aggressive looks, however, it strikes me as somehow delicate. Not that it is fragile in any way and I'm sure it wouldn't fail in any kind of reasonable use. I think it's just that a lot of frame-lock knives are beefy and this one isn't.

Cheers,
Isaeus

I like mine, although it's a bit of a safe queen for me. It's nice I never wanted to mess it up.

Love my "ethnic" Spydies, including the Chokwe.

Chokwe_0007.jpg

Chokwe_0005.jpg

Spyderco-Persian-Zulu-01.jpg

I bought a Chokwe and had problems with the blade locking open when I flicked the knife open kind of fast. I was hard to release the lock to close the knife. I was told by a few members of the forum that it was normal for a frame-lock to do this and not to flick it open like that. So I returned it and am happy flicking open my Endura's, Pacific Salt, Military, and Resilience.

I like a lot about mine. I like the look, the opening action, the locking mechanism, the titanium scale, and the way if feels in my hand. The only thing I don't like is the way it feels in a pocket because the odd shape makes in an awkward carry for me.

I really want one, I've loved the design since I first saw it. I just wish it was a little longer, or used different steel, the usual things that get me to buy another Military.

Back