Just Received my first Civilian G-10 and large Calypso Plain edge

Cobalt

Gold Member
I was quite impressed with both. I heard mention that the civilian's blade is thin and not suited to utility. But that is not true. Although it may be thinner than say the military or wegner, it is still as thick a blade as most of the competition. It looks about 0.12 inch thick which is what BM makes their std. one out of. I also liked the case it came in. I may just get another one. The calypso is a handsom knife and appears to be a perfect benign looking knife whith a hell of a lot of belly for it's size. Good job guys.

Cobalt, wait till you do some cutting with the Calypso, the steel is just plain awesome.
My only complaint about this model is that the handle is starting to get a bit beat up looking (micarta). Ah well, I guess ALL handles can't be G10.

Hello Cobalt,
I just finally popped for a Civilian also, (got a great deal from a forum brother). Mine is the aluminum handled one with the rubber inserts on the scales and clip and ATS-55 blade. I also like the included case, a nice touch. This is a "must have" for Spyderco lovers, just for the "fun factor" alone.

This blade though has the thinnest tip I have ever seen. The blade below the tip is fairly normal thickness as you noted but the tip is REALLY thin and delicate. I can see why Sal says to keep it SOLELY for it's intended purpose and that is for emergency defense.

For some reason I expected it to be bigger than it is but I guess it's big enough. All in all another quality, super sharp, great product from Spyderco.

Cobalt,

Congrats! Can I ask where you got your new knives? Did you buy them online or from a storefront?

Titan, I buy 80% of my manufactured folders from Skylands cutlery. His prices are good and he has always been there to answer any questions and put up with my ramblings. I have had a chance to buy my folders cheaper, but the few bucks isn't worth the the lack of service.

I've been considering the aluminum Civilian, too, just from a collecting point of view. What's so special about the box?

The box is not a box at all, but a Taco shaped, padded zipper carry soft case with the spyderco logo on it. Very nice.

Back