Just scored a big box of leather, now what?

Just bought a printer box, (about 15 lbs) of different grades and sizes of leather for $10, now what do I do with it?

Pieces vary in size from strips 3"X10" and some 3'X2' and even a few pieces
5'X3'.

Some as soft as a baby's bottom and some as thick as a light weight sheath, now my wife wants to know what I'm gonna do with it?

I'm open to suggestions folks, any advice?

Buy a stitching awl and get to work. :D

I have made pistol holsters, knife sheaths, carry bags and other things. As I have noted elsewhere, almost everything I make is ugly, but works. ;)

What yablanowitz said.

I have made some sheaths and one pouch myself , it's really not that hard , there are dozens of places with tutorials on making a sheath and bear in mind it may not turn it out 'professional' but it will be functional and the more you try it the better you become. :D

Now you need some needles , waxed thread , saddle soap , hole punches and rivet kit and dye and tooling pieces and and and..... :D

Excellent info here http://www.ragweedforge.com/sheath.html

http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_tutorials_LeatherSheath.htm

Good luck !

Well I got lots to practice with, I'm gonna try some one piece drawstring pouches first and see how the come out.

Thanks for the links.:thumbup:

:D No problem

when I first saw your thread title , it reminded me of 40 Year Old Virgin and the "giant box of pron" line. Maybe you have to be inside my mind to see the humor there.... :D hehehe

No T. Erdelyi , I do not want your giant box of leather and for the last time I will not watch "how to make a leather mocassin" with you !
:D :p :D

doing functional leather work is pretty easy. Making it look good is the hard part. Do you have any idea of what you'd like to make? It sounds like you've got some good material for some pouches and sheaths. Maybe leather covered wooden sheaths with some of the softer stuff? I've made a bunch of draw-string pouches and a couple of sheaths, and I'm working on a couple of bags for Native American style flutes. At the bare minimum you will probably want to pick up a punch and some heavy needles and waxed thread. The more elaborate and professional you want your pieces to look , the more tools you will need. Tandy Leather used to have a selection of beginner's kits, but it's been quite a while since I checked out their sight or catalog.

It was a good yardsale, I also got a $75 Oregon Scientific weather station for$5, a great 6 qt. Reverware Cast Aluminum Pot for a $1.

I love this time of year, Flea Markets, Yard Sales, people cleanin' out garages and basements, women sellin' ex husbands stuff and not carin' what they get for it.

Last year a woman sold me her husbands Big Bang Cannon, the big one that sells for about $140 and a gorgeous 12"X4" black waterstone in a hickory box all for $3.

Just bought a printer box, (about 15 lbs) of different grades and sizes of leather for $10, now what do I do with it?

Pieces vary in size from strips 3"X10" and some 3'X2' and even a few pieces
5'X3'.

Some as soft as a baby's bottom and some as thick as a light weight sheath, now my wife wants to know what I'm gonna do with it?

I'm open to suggestions folks, any advice?

Cool score!! :D :D I'm hurting for leather myself. I'm currently looking into recycling old leather purses. The wife is starting to look at me kinda funny now. :eek:

`Love to see some pics.

Jim L.

Buy a bare blade and put a leather handle on it?
stromengdone1.jpg

Make a sheath?
eyejayeightO.jpg

I'm no expert, I'm learning...that's handle job #4, first in leather and sheath #18 or so.

If I can do it, so can you!
Go for it :D

Buy a bare blade and put a leather handle on it?

Make a sheath?

I'm no expert, I'm learning...that's handle job #4, first in leather and sheath #18 or so.

If I can do it, so can you!
Go for it :D

Nice work. Both the handle and sheath. Stitching looks good, nice and clean.

I'm always skeptical of the leather I get in bundles. I've bought a couple of bundles from the local leather store. Some of it's usable but often its the scrap of larger pieces. Not to bad for small things, leather coasters (make great Christmas gifts), Trophy buckle covers, etc. I did get a pack that had a few pieces large enough to make a notebook cover.

I'd take the 3X10 strip and glue it to a nice piece of hardwood and make a great custom strop.

Back