Just Threw My Money Away

Ordered the cold steel Filipino Boxing dvd set. Pure junk. 90% just dojo non-realistic training exercises that one would be extremely hard pressed to ever make work in the real world. Zero insights into any thing useful or thoughtful. I actuallyw as not able to get anything out of this which is unusual for a dvd set, I gues no one worth anything would do a dvd series for Cold Stell, what else can I say. Cold Steel promotes this as anything but route boring dojo stuff which is all it is. Shame on Ron Balicki for lending his name to this garbage and he I believe studied under Dan Inosanto who studied under Bruce Lee. Shockingly awful material for people with a pedigree of teachers.

Shame on Ron Balicki for lending his name to this garbage and he I believe studied under Dan Inosanto who studied under Bruce Lee. Shockingly awful material for people with a pedigree of teachers.

Sorry to hear it. Ron is a pretty thorough teacher and not only did he study under Danny, he is also his son-in-law. The boxing lineage came via Manong Lucky LucayLucay who was a pretty intense guy himself, coming out of the Filipino boxing stables in Hawaii. Ted, his son did a nice overview of the system for Unique Video some years back and that might be worth a look, and is also of the "original" curriculum taught at the Inosanto Academy back in the early 70's. Over time, and with the passing of the LucayLucay's it looks as though something might have been lost or altered. If you are looking for the original LucayLucay lineage, I'd suggest looking for and contacting Leonard Trigg, the heir of the LucayLucay system. I'd also suggest contacting Ron at RonBalicki.com to address any issues you might have.

Matador-

You'd do well checking out the instruction of Kelly Worden for some realism with anything Filipino.

I talk to Kelly on myspace alot and have a few of his video's .He is a great instructor and a great guy . I would like to see the cold steel video though. I train Kali Sayoc Kali Altienza and good old stick fighting . I love any thing Kali .

Gene Talbert

and he I believe studied under Dan Inosanto who studied under Bruce Lee. Shockingly awful material for people with a pedigree of teachers.
correction: lee jung fan and inosanto were more or less peers, one learning a heap from the other and on the whole were good friends.

Yes I guess I was a little hot. Cold steel touts this video a bit too much and was surprised Ron went for this but he probably had no editorial control over any promotional material.
I have had some older Kelley Worden stuff and enjoyed it and learned much. Maybe time to try some of his newer dvd's.
Some things from cold steel are good but when they drop a bomb, they really drop one. Guess they are a knife company not a martial arts company.

I would have to disagree. I watched the video and thought it was very well done. Lots of good material, lock flows, take downs, footwork, variations on Hubud. I really liked this video and would recommend it to anyone who wants to build good fighting attributes.

Ray Smith

This might be a valid question, maby not, I'm not quite sure.

Would this somehow be worth getting from somebody who is new to the system, and just on the fence about getting into it as compared to learning something else?

(I think that makes sense, but basicly, is it good for a non FMA guy to get.)

It's well worth the money you could learn alot from this video. It's all empty hands no weopons. Maybe panama would sell you his since he doesn't seem to like it much.

Ray Smith

I'm on the line with Ray Smith here... I liked the DVDs, especially the fact they Mr. Balicki organized them as sort of a lesson plan. BTW, with regards to his stuff being unrealistic, there a re quite a few clips in the material that show him using some of those things in his sparring sessions, or even in some of the Shooto fights he had in japan way back.

OK, I am not too fond of Cold Steel's advertisement approach, but that does not take from the quality of some of their products. My guess is that many people are having trouble with liken the company president Lynn Thompson, but that should not cloud one's reasoning about the products.

i also was very dissapointed with the videos(my buddy's dvds, i didn;t waste the $) especially taking into the consideration the training he has had and who it has been with.

I thought that this DVD along with all the other Cold Steel ones I have seen was pretty well done. Lyn may be a bit too much but he is highly trained and very knowledgeable. Ron Baliki is one of Americas major trainers who always delivers.
--ho

I was just on their website for the first and last time ever. I don't know that I would buy anything from what appears to be an online flea-market. I know little about the quality of their gear, I'll admit, but most everything I saw looked like it belonged in a BudK catalog...

Back