JWS New York Special Folder

Jon Brand

Gold Member
Heres something I just picked up. Things have been very slow and the only knives ive been buying are those that i intend to pocket and carry. While id prefer not to hard use this, it will cut light things like wrappers and plastic, and be there for emergencies I suppose. I prefer damascus to this material but I think this combo is very pretty. Mokuti and westinghouse micarta with hand rubbed 3.5" blade of CPM s45vn. Picked up from Mark at Knifeology after consideration for many months. Thoughts, positive or negative welcome. I suppose this is the middle size as i've seen him do blades in 3.25, 3.5 and 4.

IMG_20240308_215509_598.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_648.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_673.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_823.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_808.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_773.jpg

Heres something I just picked up. Things have been very slow and the only knives ive been buying are those that i intend to pocket and carry. While id prefer not to hard use this, it will cut light things like wrappers and plastic, and be there for emergencies I suppose. I prefer damascus to this material but I think this combo is very pretty. Mokuti and westinghouse micarta with hand rubbed 3.5" blade of CPM s45vn. Picked up from Mark at Knifeology after consideration for many months. Thoughts, positive or negative welcome. I suppose this is the middle size as i've seen him do blades in 3.25, 3.5 and 4.

IMG_20240308_215509_598.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_648.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_673.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_823.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_808.jpg

IMG_20240308_215509_773.jpg

Stunning! Can't stop looking at it.

Agreed on this combination. I don't know that I've seen micarta given a diamond texture like that before. How does it feel in hand?

And I really like how they treated the backspacer. That looks great.

Agreed on this combination. I don't know that I've seen micarta given a diamond texture like that before. How does it feel in hand?

And I really like how they treated the backspacer. That looks great.
Feels great. You can kind of imagine how it would feel with your trigger finer in that groove and thumb resting on the curved part of the bolster. Definitely has a defensive feel to it... tho I will just be opening wrappers and easy things like that. :)

The handle is big, but the knife is NOT heavy for some reason. I also carry a Don Hanson which I absolutely love but the damascus in the backbar makes it a much heavier folder. This micarta is very light.

There's a couple things that aren't my cup of tea.

But there is a lot to like about this knife, including some very obvious details and some very nice subtle ones.

It looks extremely well made.

There's a couple things that aren't my cup of tea.

But there is a lot to like about this knife, including some very obvious details and some very nice subtle ones.

It looks extremely well made.
Is it the mokuti and the rope back bar? If so, those aren't mine either. Despite those I liked the piece enough to lust for it. Normally I would want a more traditional non dagger grind for carry, but this knife just called my name so exceptions had to be made. Id be curious what you think, as I don't mind differences. BTW been following your work on here for years, good stuff! Most of the names I know are gone.

Feels great. You can kind of imagine how it would feel with your trigger finer in that groove and thumb resting on the curved part of the bolster. Definitely has a defensive feel to it... tho I will just be opening wrappers and easy things like that. :)

The handle is big, but the knife is NOT heavy for some reason. I also carry a Don Hanson which I absolutely love but the damascus in the backbar makes it a much heavier folder. This micarta is very light.
Interesting. I've never thought of the backbar making that much of a weight difference.

Looks like that handle pattern is something of a signature of his.

Is John W Smith's work something you've been after for a while? Or did this particular one just capture your fancy?

The mokuti is a little bling for me, I think it would be striking in black. But overall tremendous!!!

Ive owned 6 or 7 JWS knives so I am always sort of on the look out for them. I love how they feel and function. The mokuti is a bit bright for me as well, and would prefer if it were damascus. On this particular knife I like how it looks and it did capture my fancy. Normally I don't go for those materials. I wanted one of his NYS models for some time.

Is it the mokuti and the rope back bar? If so, those aren't mine either. Despite those I liked the piece enough to lust for it. Normally I would want a more traditional non dagger grind for carry, but this knife just called my name so exceptions had to be made. Id be curious what you think, as I don't mind differences. BTW been following your work on here for years, good stuff! Most of the names I know are gone.
Yes, I'm not crazy about mokuti. I don't mind a rope backspacer and use it myself at times but I don't love the type of cuts on that one....or the color.

I think a carbon fiber bolster/ backspacer would look really good. Black/White is so classy.

But I don't mean to criticize the artists choice in materials.

I'm a huge fan of the synthetics for a backspacer because I love the light weight as you mentioned and also that they are forever color stable and maintenance free.

I love the checkering on the scales and also how the backspacer comes up to the bolster joint exactly. That's a super nice touch.

Love the anodizing with the white(ish) scales. Clip is nice and it's really cool to see that classic design I'm a folder. Handle ergos look spot on.....so much so that I'd happily pocket that even though that blade shape isn't my personal favorite. Overall, it's a really great piece.

I appreciate your words Jon. I've always admired your taste in knives and enjoy seeing your pics.

Pros - I like the blue/ white contrast, I love the pattern, it's nice to see this as a folder.

Con - I hate the clip. I'd go with a lanyard and be done with.

While I really like the white scales and diamond pattern I think that actual checkering would have taken this to a whole other level. And a really good checkering job, say a fleur d lis, would have been a world beater.

Back