Jyh

Any one been using a junkyard hammer in their shop? I know several blacksmiths using them. I got bit by the bug to build one. I have built an air-hammer, treadle-hammer, and purchased hydraulic press so far. They all work great for what I use them for.

I hope to get away from the air-compressor (it takes to run the air-hammer) with the new JYH. As of today my JYH is 90% built and 98% parts/materials gathered while only spending $100 out of pocket. I expect to finish the JYH for another $50 out of pocket at the most.

Some of the details: 3/4" steel plate base - free for hauling off, 8" square tube with 1/2" wall for main colunm - free for hauling off, 574 pound anvil material - $19 at scrap yard, old cast iron (real) 1hp electric motor - $15 at yard sale, 1.5" dia drive shaft, pillow blocks, & 14" pulley - $15 at second hand store. I do love hunting and gathering!

Rick,

I'm intrigued by the idea of a treadle hammer. What do you use yours for?

I had a jyh made from a ford rear end. it went mental on me the fall before my shop caved in from the snow. I aint had one working since.

I use the treadle hammer mainly for a hard single controled accurate blow. It takes the place of a striker when one is alone in the shop. Also nice for hot cutting leaf springs to usuable pieces, again while working alone. All my tooling locks onto the hammer so I always have both hands free to control my work.

Back