K-9 Saddle bags(added dog pics)

im thinking about taking the g/f and dog backpacking up in Northern PA but the problem i have is that my g/f has back issues from a previous car accident and my dog eats a lot ..........so im thinking of getting one of those K-9 saddle bags for my dog so he can carry his own food and few other things

-Anybody ever used one??
-how much weight can a large dog realistically carry??(155lb Doberman)

http://www.gundogsupply.com/ruff-wear-palisades-pack.html

Last edited:
Yes, I have used them, well OK my dogs have used them.
Not that brand however.

Couple things I found out.

Get your dog used to the pack around the house or yard first, then slowly add weight over a period of time. The animal will adapt to them pretty good but will bump into things for awhile until he gets used to the width. Make sure they are loaded evenly and straps are adjusted properly too.

Also, anything you don't won't wet, crushed, or is perishable (dog food, etc.) put in tupperware.
Before we did this we found at camp mice would chew through the pack and zip lock baggies.

Our field bred Goldens can carry a surprising amount of stuff which means less for you... also slows them down a bit on the trail to more our pace.

One of my favorite sites for dog stuff:
http://www.lcsupply.com/
:)

You have a 155lb Doberman? What the heck do you feed that thing? Any pics? Sorry to derail, but I have never heard of one being that big.

You have a 155lb Doberman? What the heck do you feed that thing? Any pics? Sorry to derail, but I have never heard of one being that big.

here he is back when he was on a diet lol ....130lbs..15 months old i think..Natas V. Altobello, Yugoslavian Doberman
P1010002.jpg

natasandAMD.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010003.jpg

fullbite.jpg

thats a 4 foot fence!!!
P1010013.jpg

here he is currently ...........6 yrs old, 150+- a few pounds
tasbyself.jpg

meantasgoodpic.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking dobie, my dad had one years ago that was in the 125lb range, called him Panzer :)

Back