K-BIT Design Thread - input welcome!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a continuation of this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689170

Here's the latest drawing:

attachment.php

I went ahead and decided to put in some hook into the blade. I figured out how to grind it and should work for me and my tooling.

The one nice thing about this design is that the handle is symmetrical. It will feel the same whether in forward or reverse grip.

The intention for this design is to bring some utility into a traditional karambit design. So, there is a swedge behind the tip to strengthen it. There is a slight guard as well as some jimping to feel more like a regular knife.

Attachments

• k-bit22.gif
    k-bit22.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 599
Oooh, this is more like what I was wanting when you started the other thread. I would be in for one of these as it is here. Me likey.

Last edited:
Should I do a passaround on this one?

Dan

What thickness on the steel?

Hollow grind or flat grind?

I'm thinking hollow.....with 3/16" thick steel. Stout but still somewhat lightweight.

Dan

I needed a way to be able to cut the ring *exactly* like I want it. Fortunately, I've found a way.

If you guys are interested, I'll get a prototype cut out and we'll set up a passaround.

Sound good?

Dan

I needed a way to be able to cut the ring *exactly* like I want it. Fortunately, I've found a way.

If you guys are interested, I'll get a prototype cut out and we'll set up a passaround.

Sound good?

Dan

First I would say YES I want to be part of this passaround!
Second let me say Flat grind. Should prove a bit more reseliant.

I also initially fell like the two points on the back of the blade would cause some issues in a sheath. If one rounds them a bit more then might be able to have a kydex sheath and not have issues with drawing. But there is no way to tell till its done.

What steel you planning on using? Size over all? Oh man am I excited!

all suggestions are welcome - let's hear 'em!

:thumbup:

Dan

Flat grind.

I also initially fell like the two points on the back of the blade would cause some issues in a sheath. If one rounds them a bit more then might be able to have a kydex sheath and not have issues with drawing.

What steel you planning on using? Size over all? Oh man am I excited!

I agree.........You could just leave the material above the two points in place, and have a smooth curve?

Ideally I'd like a fully 3D-modeled grooved handle. Hey, I can dream can't I?!?

:D

Dan

Hollow grind seems nice, flat grind for the swedge of course.

The curved portion, do you guys think it's better sharpened? Cause when using my karambits the backswing is really important aspect to me. The curve will help to somewhat cut better.

Back