K5 vs. Hays Tomahawk

Wow. $65/ft.

I'll bet those who buy quantity will get it for less.

Maybe talking with Mr. Hays ain't such a bad idea.

Call it "retro fusion: the hybrid".

You know, Ross, I never thought about that: just a good hardwood prefab hammer handle. Could work great.

Would one fit (maybe with some whittling)? Only problem I see is, you'd have to use wedges on the top, and - if I'm reading right - wedges aren't the best option for attaching a hawk head. (I may be totally off base there, says the total hawk novice.)

Anybody got recommendations?

If it will work, and given the price of the SOG and that a good hammer handle wouldn't be very expensive, one could wind up with a nice 'hawk for not a lot of money.

If you guys are looking for spare wooden hafts, take a look at this site: Ragweed Forge. I've bought spare hafts from him in the past and they are good quality. If the SOG head is similar to the Cold Steel products, he sells spare wood that fits Cold Steel.

RE: Hays Montana Hunter

I am interested in purchasing one of these as well, as an alternative to my ATC Next Gen Ranger (practically the same thing, design-wise and no spike - which I don't care for). I plan on using and abusing it to see how well it holds up to field use, to see if it can make the cut with the rest of my kit.

Anyone know the contact information or when they will become available again?

RE: Hays Montana Hunter

I am interested in purchasing one of these as well, as an alternative to my ATC Next Gen Ranger (practically the same thing, design-wise and no spike - which I don't care for). I plan on using and abusing it to see how well it holds up to field use, to see if it can make the cut with the rest of my kit.

Anyone know the contact information or when they will become available again?

I don't know about availability, but here is Vic Hays' email. He's usually quick to respond: vicandsue AT blackfoot.net

I realize that this thread is several years old now, but I only recently discovered it. Does anyone know if Vic Hays still makes these hawks? I like the looks of them a lot and wondered if they are available anywhere anymore. The urls in this thread are no longer working.

Thanks in advance!

i think the consensus is no. Many have tried to find info of late and haven't been able to.

I guess in the meantime I'll try to find a source for some delrin that I can hopefully cut and shape to make a new handle for mine. If all else fails, I can get a good quality replacement hammer handle and fit it to shape.
I would urge you to find something other that delrin. It is an inferior handle material. Check out the wikipedia link that gsonnen has attached. Delrin has a lot of problems when used as a tool handle, especially when that tool is something that you are going to possibly rely upon with your life. Hickory is superior.
Edited to addJust noticed the dates. Well, my info still stands.

Back