Ka-bar bk9, vs. ka-bar lrg hvy bowie?

I'm leaning towards the bk9. I need it to use as an emergency survival Knife, to keep in my pack. I usually only go on day hikes , so I'll probably only use it if I get lost. To process woood , at least. Which Knife would be better for that Purpose?

For a day pack knife, I'd say those were both way more than you need. To the point where they would be left behind because of the weight.

But you would get better answers if you posted in the Wilderness and Survival Forum instead of the Traditional Forum.

BladeForums.com > Community Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors > Wilderness & Survival Skills
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=692

Hit the exclamation button on your post and ask a mod to move this.

I vote the BK-9. You can put on the Mircata handles for a more solid grip (I like the look, too), and i like the straight blade shape and point better as well. Both would be good choices, though.

Kabar designed the Heavy Bowie to compete with the Becker BK9 when it was still being made by Camillus. Now that Kabar makes the BK9 I think they have stopped making the heavy bowie (didn't see it on their site the other day when I was there). So finding a Heavy Bowie might be harder then finding a BK9.

I have both and use both. I prefer the tip on the Heavy bowie more then the one on the BK9. Both are good knives and will serve you well. You need to deside which style handle and tip you like better. One of them is normally strapped to my leg or pack when I hike and backpack. A Bowie knife is a usefull think in the wilderness IMO.

Kabar designed the Heavy Bowie to compete with the Becker BK9 when it was still being made by Camillus. Now that Kabar makes the BK9 I think they have stopped making the heavy bowie (didn't see it on their site the other day when I was there). So finding a Heavy Bowie might be harder then finding a BK9.

I have both and use both. I prefer the tip on the Heavy bowie more then the one on the BK9. Both are good knives and will serve you well. You need to deside which style handle and tip you like better. One of them is normally strapped to my leg or pack when I hike and backpack. A Bowie knife is a usefull think in the wilderness IMO.

Ok , cool, you have answered a few things I'v been wondering about, thanks! I also checked the ka bar web site, and found nothing about the heavy bowie. you can still find it , and for $20 cheaper too, and lighter. Man the more I learn, the tougher my choice seems.:confused:

Ok , cool, you have answered a few things I'v been wondering about, thanks! I also checked the ka bar web site, and found nothing about the heavy bowie. you can still find it , and for $20 cheaper too, and lighter. Man the more I learn, the tougher my choice seems.:confused:

Since you can get a good deal on the Heavy Bowie (make sure it's the Large) I'd say get it. I think the BK9 is a slightly better chopper, but the Heavy bowie is IMO better in the kitchen. So as soon as I make a leather sheath fro my Heavy Bowie, I'll carry it more.

Either knife is a good choice. Personally, I prefer the BK-9. I find the handle more comfortable, also the tang is even more solid, stronger and extends beyond the handle-scales (making it even more useful).

The bk9 is way lighter and swings and chops with almost no effort I'd change the handles for sure though.

Back