KA-BAR D2 Extreme Chronicles

Well,
Apparently KA-BAR does listen to me!!

Well maybe me, and hundreds or thousands, of other fans.
Either way, at least they are listening!

Thank You KA-BAR!!!

There is a D2 Extreme "Plain Edge" headed my way.

***Full Disclosure
It is new, but it is arriving here via the secondary market. All the dealers seem to be out of stock. At least they were when I checked.

It comes to me from a fellow member here.
If you are reading this, Thank You Kindly Sir!
Feel free to chime in or remain anonymous, your call.

I haven't been around here much lately.
House sale, New job, New state, New Pandemic, Geo-Political Strife, Climate Change, North Korea, and Dirty Socks have all contributed to my absence.

With the list above;
What better time to purchase, and learn to use a KA-BAR.

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty Excited!
I have owned a lot of KA-BAR products. Beckers, Eks, and KA-BARs.

I possess a low Beckerhead number. Ironically, not from my prowess with a knife, but rather from my keyboard expertise.

I actually developed quite a relationship with a Dog's Head.
No, not a beagle skull, a knife.

That whole experience is here somewhere. It's a fun knife and I still enjoy it.

Much of the reason I have a D2 Extreme headed my way, is due to how well the Dog's Head has performed for me. If the D2 does as well, we will have a long and happy life together.

Today's knife enthusiast is presented with a myriad of choices.
Powdered Steels, Full Tangs, Cosmic Coffee Bag Micarta all taken from Area 51, or Studio 54, I always get those two mixed up.

Both house freaky looking humanoids who really shouldn't exist.

Then there is You Tube. You Tube scares me to death!
Part of the reason I'm typing right now is You Tube.
I have heard Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook are merging.
They will call the new site, "You Twit Face" and rightly so.

You should have to take a test to post on youtube before you can review a knife.

I watched four, D2 Extreme Reviews last night on the tube.

One guy couldn't even remember what the handle material was.
For the record, It's Kraton G. at least according to KA-BAR's website.

Enough about YTF. This is Blade, a knife site.

That folks is about all the specs you will get out of me. If you want to see a knife taken out of a box. Change the channel now!

If you want me to take a tape measure to it. Brace yourselves for a let down. Life is like a roller coaster. There are ups and downs. Expect both here. It's life with a knife.

To ease the minds of those who have to know everything about everything. Here is a link to the D2 Extreme web page.
Study all you like.
https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1292&rv=true

Why so much chat and no knife pictures??
For starters, the knife isn't here yet.

Plus, I thought it wise to set the tone of this thread early. and get the BS out of the way.

Last edited:
Much like Homer's Iliad, this may run long, it may ramble at times, and possibly even bore the carp out of you at times. Sounds fishy doesn't it??

Most of life happens during the boring times. In between those flashy moments you see on television.

***Full Disclosure;
If you think Homer Simpson wrote the Iliad.
This may not be the thread for you!
Log off and proceed to a Library.

Like Achilles, one of the main characters in the Iliad. I have character flaws. They will become brutally obvious. I will apologize now! I'm Sorry.
I feel better already.

I used to be almost immortal, relatively bullet proof and favored by the gods. All that seems to be behind me these days. Age is a brutal mistress. Maybe Achilles lucked out!

Last edited:
1st Quiz,
(Extra Credit Points)
How many of you thought Trojans were just Condoms???

Ever read the warranty on a condom package???
Me neither!!

Why not??
Because if you're ready to use a condom, warranty is the last thing on your mind.

I believe knives should be the same way. Use the knife. Don't worry about the warranty.

Like a condom. Learn how to use the knife properly.
Properly placing said condom onto the gear shift lever of your F150 while you and Helen are going at it will result in new knife customers. I'm not horsing around. Learn proper technique!

Here is KA-BAR's Warranty
https://www.kabar.com/customer/warranty.jsp

This is the first paragraph, there are five.
KA-BAR Knives, Inc. (the "Company") warrants, to the original purchaser of the product only, that this product will be free from defects in material and craftsmanship under normal use and maintenance for the lifetime of the original purchaser. This Limited Warranty does not apply to any failure of, defect in, or damage to the product caused by neglect, normal wear and tear, or by improper use, including throwing the product, batoning with the product, using the blades as a can opener, chisel, pry bar, screwdriver, digging tool, or for any heavy work for which the product was not designed.

None of this matters to me for several reasons. First I tend to take my knives further than their design parameters.
Secondly, I am not the original owner.

Warranties are like traffic lights. They are there to guide you. They will not protect you from stupidity.

If you walk out in front of a loaded dump truck the light won't help you.

Common sense folks!

Use the Knife. Be reasonably smart about it.

Last edited:
You guys jonesing for some phots and action yet???

Me too, here is my older D2 Serrated,
IMG_2994.jpg

Above is a good shot of the D2 pommel. Nice for cracking Walnuts

Here it is with a few friends for size comparisons.

A BK-5, KA-BAR Tanto (Lone Ranger Unavailable) and the D2 SE
IMG_3004.jpg

My new D2 will arrive sheathed in a Glass Filled Composite. see middle below.
IMG_4239-X2.jpg

Last edited:
You guys jonesing for some phots and action yet???

Me too, here is my older D2 Serrated,
IMG_2994.jpg

Above is a good shot of the D2 pommel. Nice for cracking Walnuts

Here it is with a few friends for size comparisons.

A BK-5, KA-BAR Tanto (Lone Ranger Unavailable) and the D2 SE
IMG_3004.jpg

My new D2 will arrive sheathed in a Glass Filled Composite. see middle below.
IMG_4239-X2.jpg

I'd be interested in learning that paracord weave pattern.

I have some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is, this has been the hottest summer I can remember, and I was trapped on a heavily built one acre piece of property.

So knife use was limited. What use there was, was basic picnic knifecrafting. Shavings, carving, and the like.

The good news is, I was just blessed with an offer to take a position out west managing a large chunk of wilderness property. It is a bushcrafter's paradise. Rough, rugged country totally situated inside a national forest.

So, as fall approaches, I will be moving. After the move my Extreme will be of much more value.
If you can't tell, I am extremely excited! The opportunities for knife and tool use are boundless.

Be patient, and stay tuned, the old D2 will be put to use. It will be worked, it may possibly be abused, and generally applied to some fun woods tasks.

This should include, locating, clearing, and constructing, a minimalist woods camp. This should be loads of fun.
I'm sure I'll learn a lot along the way. I'll share as much as I can. It will be a learning experience for me. I come from a predominately hard wood forest, located in a cold, wet, snowy environment.

The new location is drier, higher, and warmer, with mostly pine and evergreen forest.

Fun times ahead folks!

Hello, ive been using a Kabar D2 extreme in the smoky mountain area of Tenessee for a couple of years. Im happy to report that this knife is great!I have an ATV trail on my property that this knife helped make. it goes through 37 acres of land. Ive cut small stumps down to ground level ,cut many many branches which grow into the trail, ive done alot of cutting with this knife. I like the serrations; theres still plenty of plain edge to use.The handles are very comfortable to use. I recommended one of these to a friend a few years ago hes been using it camping.I actually have 2 of these knifes ,one is still brand new. Its such a great blade shape and size along with a light weight. Your gonna really have a good time with this knife.I think this knife gets overshadowed by all the other offerings out there. Kabar does this knife well. Ive been thinking about the dogs head knife for a long time. i should just get one already. Good luck on your move.I removed the nylon, moto'd off the plastic carefully and added a teklock.

Last edited:
My serrated D2 Kabar been just seeing minor duties as it retaught me, I HATE SERRATIONS WITH A PASSION! Not knocking the knife pattern or materials, I JUST HATE SERRATIONS! Well...I have one weird knife with serrations on the back of the spine...it works ok for that. But I still the D2 Kabar for netting season, and globs of fishing line knots idiots throw out in to the water. And hating of Serrations made me also get a 1211+2, I guess the its a +2 bonus with the hard sheath, that gets a decent work out as a nice light utility trail/pack knife. Things it was put through would of broke any knifes with Serrations, one of the main reasons I HATE SERRATIONS!

Now the Straight Edge KABAR D2 one knocked the Turok down on my list to get. BECAUSE IT HAS NO SERRATIONS!

I really like KA-BAR’s, wish a had a USMC one (like the brown sheathed ones you own), but they are so expensive. :oops:

Back