Ka-bar fighting/utility knife problems/ new grind??

MIL-DTL-20277/1 from 2007, which I believe is still the most current version of the specification for the "Fighting Knife", still calls for the forward top edge to be sharpened. IMHO I think most of the examples of these knifes with false edges are most likely commercial examples. There is a marketing consideration to be aware of that many states will require that part of the top of the knife to be made with a false edge in order to not be considered a banned knife.

Last edited:
Over 25 years ago I paid to have that high grind done on my KaBar.
Edge was thicker'n it needed to be.
I just may pick up a new one, now.
Denis

A few years ago my son gave me a KaBar 1211. He helped a woman clean out some stuff after her husband died and he had this KaBar replica which she gave to him & he (since I'd been in the USMC) to me. I didn't save the box but the knife must have been one if the earlier replicas because it has a sharpened clip. I worked on the leather sheath & stacked-leather handle and got them looking so good that I wasn't willing to take the knife hiking and risk scratching it. So I bought another which I received a couple of days ago. As the OP indicated the grind goes all the way to the fuller unlike my earlier 1211 which had a space between the grind and the fuller, but unlike his mine was razor sharp. My old one seemed sharp but the new one was sharper and seems to hold a sharper edge; which is logical since the new one looks and is shaped more like a slicer. If you were going up behind an enemy sentry to cut his throat, you'd want the new one rather than the old.

To my surprise the handle on the new one fit my hand better than the handle of the old. The old one was a bit too fat and never felt right, but the new one feels good. I have several knives that I alternate taking on hikes. The 1250 is a favorite but I really like this new 1211.

Lawrence

Back