KA-BAR Fighting/Utility Knife

I have watched/read mixed reviews of the Foliage Green Fighting/Utility knife that resembles the USMC style. Moose suggests it can take a beating and is comparable to the Becker BK7. I was wondering if there are any members out there who have a decent amount of experience with this knife. Can you attest to its durability and/or ability to perform under demanding conditions? Based on the steel and blade shape, it seems it would do fine as an all-around utility knife. How does it do with bushcrafting tasks such as batoning or light chopping? Thanks!

Mine is my favorite mid-sized fixed blade. Chops, cuts, stabby enough for stabbing things. The 1095 Cro-Van gets nice and sharp easily and holds it well, and (for me anyway) doesn't rust as much as SK5 or 1055 (Cold Steel Recon Scout and machetes) or regular 1095 (Old Hickory).

It's not a great chopper, but if you back up on the handle and hold the butt it'll do ok. I've chopped through some green stuff while hiking and some dried hard wood (guava) and if you need to, it'll do it. The Kraton-handled version you're asking about will probably be more secure doing that; sometimes my leather-handled one feels too slick. Haven't done any batoning with this knife but others have and like them and I've done it with other Kabar products. It'll take it.

Get one. You won't regret it.

I just did an initial review of mine that might help out a bit. I don't have much experience with it, but at least its something.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Bar-USMC-and-KaBar-ZK-War-Sword-(PHOTO-HEAVY)

I can agree with hawaiianhawk on most of his comments. It is a nice size, is really comfortable to hold and use, and is pretty good all around. Its not a great chopper, and I wouldn't say that it is quite as durable as the BK7 is, but they are quite tough. For what its worth, there was a thread lately where someone asked about the kraton handled USMC's tang width, and toooj mentioned that the tang is slightly larger than it is on the leather version. The design is the same though.

I know moose has broken a few of his... but he is harder on knives than anyone I know other than noss. I think it should hold up fine for you.

Back