Ka-Bar Impact Series

I recently picked up a 1461. I've been looking for something stain resistant to carry on the river when kayaking, boating, etc. I love my BK24 and it will always come along, but I need something a bit more substantial.

After a bit of research I found out about this...the Ka-Bar Impact series 1461 spearpoint in D2

I really like the feel of this. The handle ergos are OK, I'd like more palm swell. The guard area is very secure feeling, I don't think it'd ever slip. The solid tang gives it a lot of heft. Overall when holding and using it, it really feels good in the hand.

Whoever had it before really put a nice edge on it. I really like the Ka-Bar D2 and am so glad I found this to have as my river Blade...

Too bad these are discontinued...
Yesterday a stranger at the tool store offered me $100 for it lol. I declined, although it would have been a nice profit, it just took too long to aquire and spring is close.

There were others including the warthog, Tanto, and clip. I believe only the spear point and clip point came in 1095cv and D2. Only the D2 was offered with micarta I believe.

If you guys have any, let's see them and hear your thoughts.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I miss the impact series. That was a good find and should make an awesome river blade! Don't you have a 1273 as well?

Yeah, the 1273 was my last most recent addition. Thought I over paid for it but another popped up recently and went for a bit more.

These pop up now and then. I think there's a couple of 1460 1095cv available now. Of course, now I want the complete set lol.

How does the spine feel when in use? it looks like the grips don't extend to cover the full tang, does that present any ergonomic issues?

None at all. I'll admit to light or moderate use so far, but I've noticed nothing in that regard. The aggressive jimping works well without being abrasive. I could nitpick different parts of the handle and ergos but altogether it works very well for me. Example: I'd like more palm swell, and the front guard area (dunno what to call it) feels kinda big, but when in full grip, it all adds up.

I'm still considering making some Becker like scales or maybe modding something I have to fit. That will be down the road, I'll give this a chance and some work time. The more I use it the more I like about it. Of course the real thing will be when I start my kayak adventures. I don't foresee any issues that would force a change, if anything it would just be personal preference or chits and giggles.

that's a good looking knife Boss..... I really like it. what's the blade and overall lengths on it?

no, it's not helping at all LOL.... now it makes me want one to replace the knife in my bug out bag with one... its like a perfect cross between a BK16 and a BK7...in a weird funky way. How did I miss these?!?

I guess sometimes ppl call it Ka-Bar Eagle because of the sheath. There may be a 1095cv version available for around 80.

Yeah...no help at all!

I have never seen these before yours now I want one. I really like the look of that. I think you chose the best tip. That would be my choice too.

the new Turok looks to be VERY close to the same pattern outside the secondary grind on the tip.... with some quality Micarta handle scales it might serve as a decent replacement.

I have never seen these before yours now I want one. I really like the look of that. I think you chose the best tip. That would be my choice too.
Thanks! The D2 was no compromise so it was this or the classic clip point. I may have gone with the clip if I couldn't find this, but its def my preferred style.
the new Turok looks to be VERY close to the same pattern outside the secondary grind on the tip.... with some quality Micarta handle scales it might serve as a decent replacement.
I thought the exact same except the Turok is a bit more Blade than I was looking for. I mentioned in the Turok thread if a mid sized D2 Jarosz Blade was available I'd be all over it! If one comes out, I'll certainly be interested even still.

Sweet find! that's one fine looking knife!

Thanks TBL!

Got a 1461 when they came out. Had for 10 years or more. Stays in my car. Ready to go. Nothing much hurts it. Good dependable usable knife for a multitude of tasks.

I do not understand how the excellent Impact D2 series did not last long before being discontinued. I had TWO 1461's. The full tang and excellent micarta handle all D2 steel was in my opinion some of the best fixed blade Kabars ever made. The two 1461s I had were stolen along with the rest of my $25,000 knife collection not too long ago. I am very much looking for Impact Kabars again as I slowly rebuild my collection.

Back