Ka-Bar Modified Tanto, #1266

Just oredered the above, based solely upon photos, as well as Ka-Bar name.

Anybody have one? What's the gouge?

Thanks!

Received my new Modified Tanto, #1266. I'm immensely impressed not only with the blade itself, but also with the included scabbard. Both are the height of Ka-Bar design, quality, and value.

This knife is amongst the best designs I've seen, re: tantos. If you want to punch holes in car doors or hoods, don't think of this. This is purely a killing blade, more versatile by far. Thank God it doesn't have a serrated edge. Likewise, the long, graceful cutting edge of this 1095 CroVan blade will do whatever is necessary- from game, cooking, to dispatching irritating sources of social difficulties.

I only wish Ka-Bar would come out with an "improved" version, that would have an inch longer handle, and ability to attach a lanyard for retention. Otherwise, everything about this blade has made it my EDC personal favorite.

The sacabbard is superb. No need to heat and mould it, to make access swift, silent, and sure. The fact that it's ambidextrous is a bonus. I'm a short old geezer, now down to 5'5", so I've had to buy shorter slacks, or have them taken care of by a tailor. I wear Wrangler cargo pants- slacks and shorts, and from my waist/belt to the outside pocket thoughtfully provided for cell phones, the #1266 rides comfortably. Wrangler cargo pants, long and short, as well as the #1266, make a great pair.

At 70, my mind is still made-up. Ka-Bar and Company makes the finest blades I've ever owned. I'm never without a Ka-Bar, Becker, or EK blade on my old carcass. If your life is on the line, and firearms are not an option, Ka-Bar is the answer to likely social difficulties. Why? Because with a Ka-Bar, soon, the cause of the social difficulties won't be needin' his own gear. Think battlefield resupply...

Well, it's feedin' time here at the Home...

Y'all take care...

exRonin1949, out...

There’s something unsettling about your repeated use of the phrase “social difficulties”. I’m not asking for an answer, but, my mind is certainly wandering on where you could possibly reside. :confused:

Edit: fixed the spelling of “unsettling”

Last edited:
So, did you write the review on KA-BAR's website referencing "social difficulties", lift the term there from Carter, or was it just a random coincidence? Nice knife.

I have the standard Kabar Tanto, and I use it as my camp knife... it batons light branches and breaks down fish decently well. It seems to be more novelty than I expected but it is a workhorse nonetheless. I'v never used the standard Kabar so I can't compare but it seems the Tanto has it's purposes.

Received my new Modified Tanto, #1266. I'm immensely impressed not only with the blade itself, but also with the included scabbard. Both are the height of Ka-Bar design, quality, and value.

This knife is amongst the best designs I've seen, re: tantos. If you want to punch holes in car doors or hoods, don't think of this. This is purely a killing blade, more versatile by far. Thank God it doesn't have a serrated edge. Likewise, the long, graceful cutting edge of this 1095 CroVan blade will do whatever is necessary- from game, cooking, to dispatching irritating sources of social difficulties.

I only wish Ka-Bar would come out with an "improved" version, that would have an inch longer handle, and ability to attach a lanyard for retention. Otherwise, everything about this blade has made it my EDC personal favorite.

The sacabbard is superb. No need to heat and mould it, to make access swift, silent, and sure. The fact that it's ambidextrous is a bonus. I'm a short old geezer, now down to 5'5", so I've had to buy shorter slacks, or have them taken care of by a tailor. I wear Wrangler cargo pants- slacks and shorts, and from my waist/belt to the outside pocket thoughtfully provided for cell phones, the #1266 rides comfortably. Wrangler cargo pants, long and short, as well as the #1266, make a great pair.

At 70, my mind is still made-up. Ka-Bar and Company makes the finest blades I've ever owned. I'm never without a Ka-Bar, Becker, or EK blade on my old carcass. If your life is on the line, and firearms are not an option, Ka-Bar is the answer to likely social difficulties. Why? Because with a Ka-Bar, soon, the cause of the social difficulties won't be needin' his own gear. Think battlefield resupply...

Well, it's feedin' time here at the Home...

Y'all take care...

exRonin1949, out...

Wow. That's, ummm.... well that's really something...

"Social difficulties." When law and order are either not available, or one must do what is necessary to protect self or others. In this ever more unstable world, violence happens, often without rhyme or reason. Look at Europe and England. Those people have given up their God given rights to defend themselves, over to politically irresponsible "law" enforcement. Result? Innnocents are wounded or die. Is this preventable? Yes. All it takes, is a man or woman who will not allow evil to triumph, without the scum of the earth paying a price. Peace has NEVER been free, and it has always required precious treasure- blood and lives, to maintain it's presence within any society or civilization.

Nobody is a helpless victim, if they're willing to expend their lives in doing what is right. A man or woman armed with a Ka-Bar, for example, can always "requisition" other weapons from those who seek to do wrong, as they will no longer be needing what they have.

Always do what is right, and let the Devil take the hindmost.

"Social difficulties." When law and order are either not available, or one must do what is necessary to protect self or others. In this ever more unstable world, violence happens, often without rhyme or reason. Look at Europe and England. Those people have given up their God given rights to defend themselves, over to politically irresponsible "law" enforcement. Result? Innnocents are wounded or die. Is this preventable? Yes. All it takes, is a man or woman who will not allow evil to triumph, without the scum of the earth paying a price. Peace has NEVER been free, and it has always required precious treasure- blood and lives, to maintain it's presence within any society or civilization.

Nobody is a helpless victim, if they're willing to expend their lives in doing what is right. A man or woman armed with a Ka-Bar, for example, can always "requisition" other weapons from those who seek to do wrong, as they will no longer be needing what they have.

Always do what is right, and let the Devil take the hindmost.
Why not just say it's a good knife for killing people?

Zieg

The Zieg,

You are correct. It's a superb blade for taking out the trash. Should things go pear-shaped, it shall accompany me with my brace of Ruger Super GP100's in .357 Magnum. To me, these are my favorite tools for EDC. No point in going poorly equipped...

All the best,

exRonin1949

Tip geometry looks like it trades a little durability for the ease of penetrating softer material. Not necessarily a "survival" knife, but looks to be an excellent companion for a feral hog hunt. The 8" blade is plenty long to reach the "boiler room" of a large oinker stubbornly refusing to become bacon.

Back