KA BAR Rust removal

I am trying to restore an old Ka Bar combat Knife for a friend who left it out in an old car and let it get soaked more than once:mad: Can anyone give me any useful tips on how to remove the rust from the blade without destroying the finish? I am not sure if the blade is Parkerized or not. But i wanted to know what you guys think before I break out the Dremel tool he he.

Try some Corrosion-X on it, I have found nothing better at getting rid of rust.

i will try it. I had tried simply using 3 in 1 oil with superfine steel wool ( works great for removing small rust spots on my shotguns) to no avail. My buddy wanted it to "look nice" without removing the finish. I told him the best way to ensure that was to not leave it laying in the back of a rusted out car in the first place!

Thanks for the info Mike!

I am not positive it will work as that all depends on the level of rust, but for surface rust it works great.
If the rust is bad you will have pitting in the metal which nothing can remove other than polishing the metal and refinishing it.

You can read more about Corrosion-X on their website here:
http://www.corrosionx.com/

a weak acid solution followd by the oil and steel wool might work. just make sure to get all the acid off and probably shouldn't get it on the handle.

I got on their website last night and read a little about the product. It seems that is mainly for "preventative" use, but I did read that they had certain cases where it removed rust as well. I am going to give it a try, seeing as how you recommended it, and even if it doesn't work on this particular knife, it looks like a great product to use on my shotguns and rifles, as well as my knives for rust prevention. (better than rem-oil or wd-40). I appreciate the help:D

Tripletash,

I thought about an acid solution. I Just worry about the finish. It is Parkerised I believe, and I know that is used in many military applications as a better finish than blueing, but I didn't know exactly HOW strong it is. I have used blue/ rust remover on my rifles to some good, but If it removed the finish, I wouldn't be able to repair it like i would if it were simply blued. I am probably getting a little anal about it, but I love restoring old knives (even though I have done it alot, still consier myself a newbie compared to most on this forum), and I want to get it right. Thanks for the help!

CEALLAGH said:
I got on their website last night and read a little about the product. It seems that is mainly for "preventative" use, but I did read that they had certain cases where it removed rust as well. I am going to give it a try, seeing as how you recommended it, and even if it doesn't work on this particular knife, it looks like a great product to use on my shotguns and rifles, as well as my knives for rust prevention. (better than rem-oil or wd-40). I appreciate the help:D

I would agree my friend.
I have used this product for years now and totally believe in it.
I once lubed a squeeky hinge on a door with Corrosion-X over a year ago and it is still quiet. This stuff is amazing at it's penetrating abilities and corrosion protection.
I am not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever, but I do like to pass on products that I believe in.
Keep us informed as to how it goes with this knife blade please.

Try WD 40 and steel wool. WD 40 is not a particularly good rust preventative, but it will break rust down better than oil. If you have stubborn rust spots, you can scrape them with a piece of sharp brass, then WD 40 and steel wool again.
Bill

MikeV said:
I would agree my friend.
I have used this product for years now and totally believe in it.
I once lubed a squeeky hinge on a door with Corrosion-X over a year ago and it is still quiet. This stuff is amazing at it's penetrating abilities and corrosion protection.
I am not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever, but I do like to pass on products that I believe in.
Keep us informed as to how it goes with this knife blade please.

I will Mike, and thanks again! I have been lurking around this site for a while now, and joined because of all the great advice everyone at this forum give on a regular basis.

Fine steel wool and a light lubricant (like some recommend above). Eezox or corrosion X is best, but anything light will work. You can also use bar keepers friend and the water hose if the steel wool isn't enough by itself (then dry thoroughly, apply the lube and let set for a couple of hours, then clean per next step).

Clean the blade thoroughly with lighter fluid. Mineral spirits will also work but takes a longer dry time.

Tape the handle off and give the blade a good shot of Rustoleum Hi-temp Bar-B-Q black. A couple of light coats is best.

Will look good as new.

Have you thought about naval jelly? It takes rust off....I don't know what it might do the the blade coating though. You might try it in one little spot next to the sharpened edge first to see if it has any effect on the blade finish.

If it is too far gone I would use a wire wheel on the grinder and give it a complete brushed look. If you wanted to make it black again you can get cold bluing solution from any good gun store in black or blue color. The wire wheel should cut any corrosion and give it a decent finish.

Evapo-Rust
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3073702&postcount=12

<:)> THEY call me 'Dean' <>
dean-sp-sm.jpg

<:eek:> Caution: Not all ideas vented from this brain are entirely based on empirical data. JMO-M2C-fWiW-iIRC-YMMV-fYI-TiA-YW-GL
<:D> Noobee <> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

Back