1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

KA-BAR Tanto

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by pbcg, Nov 2, 2010.

1. pbcg

pbcg Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2009
    I've had my eye on this KA-BAR Tanto for some time and would truly appreciate any feed back from anyone who owns one or has some experience with it. Also the price I'm looking at is $54.95. Do you think this is a good deal? Spes below:

• 12 7/8" overall length.
    • 8" black Epoxy Powder Coated 1095 High Carbon Steel blade.
    • Blade Edge: Serrated
    • Blade Style: Tanto
    • Tang Stamp: USA
    • Edge Angle: 20 Degrees
    • Grind: Hollow
    • Rockwell Hardness: 56-58
    • Weight: .66 lbs
    • Glass filled Nylon handle with Black Epoxy Powder Coated Carbon Steel guard and butt.
    • Black Kydex belt sheath. Sheath includes a friction guard lock to hold the blade, plus a nylon retaining strap to secure the handle. Grommets and slots for tie-downs allow a variety of carrying options.
    • Made in the U.S.A.
    • Engravable

2. pbcg

Oct 20, 2009
    Really trying to get some feed back here. Just experiance with KA-Bar in general would help

3. sharp lupo

sharp lupo

Oct 11, 2010
    My friend is an NCO in the Army and will be leaving for his third tour this Jan, this is the knife he carries and he says he loves it. Id actually like to pick one up myself. Id say its good to go.

4. pbcg

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks!

5. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    It's a good knife, especially for the money. It's not full tang, so not as strong as it could have been. Not a real problem though.

It might not be very sharp, be prepared to sharpen it.

Personally I prefer the classic USMC over the Americanised tanto design.

6. Hoodcanal5

Hoodcanal5

Sep 6, 2010
    I have that knife and I hate it. But i hate tantos so my opinion is biased.

7. r-winter

r-winter

Oct 9, 2008
    lol i used to carry a tanto folder, i hate tantos. I still carry the same folder but it is now a drop point. go for the regular ka-bar i own one and love it.

8. Happy Face

Happy Face

Jul 4, 2010
    It really depends on what you're going to use the knife for, of course.

For example, if you're using it as a camping knife or a utility knife, go for the original Bowie shape. It's more useful in those roles because of the blade's sweep.

If you're getting it as a fighting knife... it really does depend on what type of knife fighting style you use. I see a Bowie and a Tanto as equally good in a fighting role, but they are used differently.

9. pbcg

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for all the feed back