Ka-Bar USN MK1 First Impressions

It's times like this that it's nice to have friends with Blue Ridge accounts.

The handle looks short. Does the buttcap feels uncomfortable in large hands?

I think that it's more fat than short, though at 4 inches the handle is a good bit shorter than a standard KA BAR. Laid flat my palm is 4.25 inches at the widest point (crook of thumb to edge of palm) and it's comfortable to me.

I didn't like the coating. :)

000_0039.jpg

Last edited:
i reallly like the look of this knife
is it rat tang like the kabar? or full (hidden tang)??

think this would make a nice lighter alternative to the bk2 as a hiking knife

if you guys want a tweener of sorts RIGHT NOW, this is pretty darn close to the tweeners in size and form. course, there are some differences, but not many. give them a try. the price is right too...

This was perfect timing I was just thinking I would like a good all around knife on the smaller size...my only question is the tang as stated above. That stripped one would look nice with some forced patina.

a little file work on the spine would make that pop. Looks like a great knife for the bugout bag, might pick one up for the GF too, as Moose says that LadyMoose is very fond of hers.

My wife latched onto mine as well. For some reason the ladies seem to love this knife. Maybe the grip or the overall light weight, don't know. It's a great little knife and a great bushcrafter.

Reactions: vab
Stick tang isn't much of an issue on knives like this. Use them to cut, carve, and only baton when necessary, they are tough and can take it. Just don't use it to process your ironwood for the fire, and that knife will last.

Moose

When I was in the Army, I carried a Case XX version of the Kabar for 7 years. What I had done was have the edge regound to more of a flat grind, as well as had the leather handle treated with some secret mojo sauce that some swamp rat from FLA developed that rendered it virtually corrosion and waterproof..

It served me well, and never jumped onto the kraton/rubber grip bandwagonas so many others did at the time they were hitting the market. To me a knife should be made of natural materials when it comes to the handle, so I never felt the need to change to one..

Cheers,
Serge

It's times like this that it's nice to have friends with Blue Ridge accounts.

I think that it's more fat than short, though at 4 inches the handle is a good bit shorter than a standard KA BAR. Laid flat my palm is 4.25 inches at the widest point (crook of thumb to edge of palm) and it's comfortable to me.

The handle is a little short for me, but not enough to make it uncomfortable or unusable.
OTOH, once the tweeners are here, I can give the Mk1 to SWMBO and it fits her skinny little hands just fine.
handle is MUCH more comfortable - to me - than the OKC FF17 (quartermaster knife) I picked up right before these were released. THAT thing has a fat grip!

if you guys want a tweener of sorts RIGHT NOW, this is pretty darn close to the tweeners in size and form. course, there are some differences, but not many. give them a try. the price is right too...

I want to.. as soon as the leather handle ones appear.

This is the knife the Navy should issue at BUDS rather that the SRK. Similar overall dimensions and basically the same knife issued to the UDT in WWII.
Carbon steel blade (1095) so the same "attention to detail" can be inculcated by the instructors :) I like it!

Kinda looks like the Mora of KA-BARs.

Also, mist, your big manly man-hands make this thing look like a neck knife. :)

good photos.

Back