Ka-Bar ZK Durabilty Test question

I am interested in these knives. And I have found plenty of reviews. I know its a newer knife but I am looking for a good durability test video.

Anyone know of one. Thank in advance.

I am interested in these knives. And I have found plenty of reviews. I know its a newer knife but I am looking for a good durability test video.

Anyone know of one. Thank in advance.

No, I don't think anyone's done a vid yet, that I know of.

There are a few guys here that have them, and use them, perhaps they will pop in and let us know. I know a guy, I'll email him and get his ass in here, he beats everything like it owes him money.:D

Moose

No, I don't think anyone's done a vid yet, that I know of.

There are a few guys here that have them, and use them, perhaps they will pop in and let us know. I know a guy, I'll email him and get his ass in here, he beats everything like it owes him money.:D

Moose

Appreciate it. I am all about the cool reviews. But nothing compares to a good proper smashing.

just buy one. who cares about videos? :) not us!

I'd be interested in a good video, but before the destruction test, I'd rather seem them compared to other popular blades. I've seen lots of reviews that just tell about what they think about them (generally before they've been out and used much). I want some reviews of the war sword against a BK9 or a Heavy Bowie kind of thing. Chop-offs, baton-offs, fuzz-offs, etc.

Hopefully we can get some sweet comparison reviews going, that would be awesome.

I'd be interested in a good video, but before the destruction test, I'd rather seem them compared to other popular blades. I've seen lots of reviews that just tell about what they think about them (generally before they've been out and used much). I want some reviews of the war sword against a BK9 or a Heavy Bowie kind of thing. Chop-offs, baton-offs, fuzz-offs, etc.

Hopefully we can get some sweet comparison reviews going, that would be awesome.

Yep that is what I am looking for. The Becker line sold me based on the durability tests. And countless in field videos. Lets see these ZK blades doing some work lol.

Sweet, I'm glad to see that the desire for a durability test wasn't just because we wanted to see something break, but to see how well it stands up to things. I mean, the thread about the BK2 batoning through a lawnmower and not getting damaged (that was awesome), and helped me buy a BK2 because it gave me confidence in the blade. Now we just need someone to help us out on the whole testing part of things.

I've been eyeing the ZK war sword for a while, and might end up pulling the trigger on it. If I end up getting it, I will review it for sure. I just don't have anything to compare it to. There are two things that are kind of stopping me from buying one though. The first is that I think I want a BK9 instead, and second that I think I have some kind of mental block about owning more than one blade of the same size and style. Because I somehow think that by owning a ZK war sword, that I can't get a BK9. I'm pretty sure thats not a normal issue around here though...

i think the BK9 is going to out chop the ZK war sword. just saying. it's a matter of mass and such.

the ZK tanto is THICK. thicker than i would have believed. it's HEAVY.

the ZK chopper model is thinner, and way livelier than the BK9, and probably your best bet for yard work and all kinds of non lumber processing duties. yah, it'll baton, i'm sure, and do some thicker saplings, and even a tree, but let's be real: it's a WONDERFUL small machete basically. shaving sharp, and look out hedges. the BK9 could do those chops, but it's just not as *fast* if you get my meaning. the curved blade of the ZK chopper will "pull" thin whippy things well.

1085 and good heat treat, they're going to be tough, and ballsy. just buy some :) if you hate them, give them away :> or sell them :>

me? i just bought two more of the ZK folders. they make great gifts. full size, steel liners, sharp, tough, solid lockup. what's not to like?

also snagged some tshirts and FIN folders, and ... yar. heh heh. i have friends with birthdays coming up.

brains

Bladite, I appreciate the thoughts, thats actually one of the first real comments I've heard on how the ZK knives feel when out working with them. I think I would mostly use the war sword when out camping to baton the larger logs, and then around the apartment helping trim down unruly plants (took out a 6ft tall bush today with the BK2 that was blocking my walk path to school and was wishing for something with a bit more reach).

Do you think the war sword would baton better than the BK9? Its a bit thicker (says .20in), but it also looks like a full flat grind, so it seems like it might be a toss up.

We'll see, I may fold and end up buying the war sword soon. I ended up getting some surprise money for something that would just about cover it.

the Tanto would be my first choice as a camp tool of death. batoning and digging and hacking and rough chores.

the war sword i'd probably treat more like a knife... sure, it'll baton, but i don't quite see it as a hard core wood processor. it's not something i do a lot with any knife.

so, on my "get around to it", i'll be buying the other full length blades soonish.

I've got a ZK War Sword, but haven't had a chance to take her out and get choppy. As my large-blade arsenal is pretty low at the moment, I don't want to try any destruction tests, I'd hate to lose one of the few large knives I own. It definitely feels like it could baton most stuff, but I wouldn't try to hammer it through any nails or lawnmowers... It feels like it would be best suited as a camp knife. It will chop up enough wood for a shelter, and will process your kindling, and perform all your bushcraft needs, I just wouldn't do the things to it I would do to a Becker. I'm sure it would do most everything a BK9 could do (maybe not quite as well) but I simply wouldn't bet my life on it the way I would with a BK9.

Yea, I don't think I'd kill any lawnmowers with mine either (thats what the BK2 is for :p), and I sure wouldn't try to destroy it. It sounds like its a pretty sweet blade, especially for the price... I need to buy a few more textbooks soon, so I might go ahead and throw a war sword and a new EDC folder in on the order for good measure. You know, to keep the books company and defend it from anything...

Rationalizations eh...:rolleyes:

Back