Ka-Bar's new Fun stuff: Zombie Killers

Well, I know why it concerns me. The desire to create new knife designs that "fit" new trends and surge sales, over taking the standard designs that have consistant sales. Basically, creating flash in the pan knives for rapid sales surges, then once the new is worn off, create another new knife, for a rapid sales surge, all the while, a 'ol standby knife that has been a consistant seller, is bumped in production, for a the new trendy knives that sell faster, but don't sell consistant.

Its happened to some companies, that have well over 200 designs, they make but none of them are the "bread winner", just so much flash and bang, the fizzle, on to the next one.

Moose

well, that. if a company pushes something that pushes aside proven money makers, and then neglects those further, they've got nothing to complain about when those sports liquidators come along and buy out the stock for pennies on the dollar. seen random examples of that happen from time to time.

then again, a company has to take risks. some risks just seem bizarre taken up front :)

now, i wonder, if these had been released as "bushcrafter bob's bugout blades" if they wouldn't be more accepted? perhaps it's all in the name.

well, that. if a company pushes something that pushes aside proven money makers, and then neglects those further, they've got nothing to complain about when those sports liquidators come along and buy out the stock for pennies on the dollar. seen random examples of that happen from time to time.

then again, a company has to take risks. some risks just seem bizarre taken up front :)

now, i wonder, if these had been released as "bushcrafter bob's bugout blades" if they wouldn't be more accepted? perhaps it's all in the name.

I really don't think the name has much to do with it. Companies should take risks, I am firm believer in that. What I was referring to is a change in marketing mentality as a whole. Some companies, can do both, and I have not doubt that when they do manage to have creative, exciting new ideas, as well as still be consistant producers of solid proven designs, that is what a success is called. I honestly like new, creative ideas applied to proven designs, it gives new feel to an old friend.

Either way, we are not there yet, these are new, exciting design that could or could not take off. Its in the hands of the buyers now.

Moose

I wonder if its the same thing that Gerber did with their Bear Grylls survivor line. Some people may purchase the knives for the sheer novelty of it or they may actually use them. Not sure if they're big sellers but it sure is getting their name out there.

I can understand that Moose.

BUT

A company HAS to keep introducing new models. Some even outrageous to our eyes. As we (as in the guys who like the line-up now) age, the new market that will follow behind us isn't going to be content with the same blades that we love.

You can look back over the last 50 years and see that trend. If it wasn't so, all of the companies would still be producing plain carbon steel blades less than 3/16" thick, with leather washer, wood, and stag handles, in leather sheaths.

There would be no so called super steels. There would be none of the modern handle materials like Grivory, Micarta, G10. There would be very few full width tang blades. That's just considering fixed blade knives.

Could you imagine how the folding knife market would be? That's where all of the innovations are really directed at.

I don't think that there are any concerns that Kabar will lose sight of the customer who've really made them what they are today.... Those of us who demand hard using, durable, quality knives at good prices.

At the same time, if they don't introduce products directed at tomorrow's consumer, those people who will eventually take over OUR role, then that is a major market share that they will lose.

Why did the old companies like Marbles and Queen disappear? They didn't adapt to ever changing market conditions. You simply MUST have new product lines to supplement current product line sales.

I guarantee, there are going to be people that aren't really interested in Kabar at this time, but when they see the ZK line, they will think "Awesome!". They will buy one and love it. They will try another product from Kabar. They will become addicted to the company and will buy more from them. Beckers, the traditional combat line, folders. Just like we all did.

As dumb as it is, Zombie stuff is a RAGING market at this time. I don't blame Kabar one bit for trying to get some of that market share. Who knows? Those dollars may be used to get products that are styled to us to market soon than later. Can anyone say Tweener?

Couldn't KaBar brought back the brute instead? I think that would have been better :confused: I do kinda like some of the ZK blades but....I just don't know :confused:

no, the brute is dead dead dead dead dead. DEAD. like zombies. except the brute will not rise again. dead. DEADDDDDDDDDDDDDD. stop asking. it annoys the mighty one (that would be Ethan :>)

KaBar just needs to make a few thousand new Machax knives... and then we're good. they can go back to making mummy slayers, and hydra hackers, and tomb bladers, and captain morgan specials :)

oh, they should make me a few patrol machetes too.

yar

With the exception of the tanto designs, I like them. We all know Ka-Bar's not going to make a bad knife, so quality's not a big concern for me. Is the name somewhat gimmicky? Yes, but I like zombie-related stuff, so again, not a big concern. Those who don't care for the toxic green color will have black scales included to soothe their burning eyeballs. Both the big choppers look purty damn useful, IMO. Certainly just as useful as a BK9 or Junglas, which are the two most common measuring sticks for blades in that niche around here. Looks like the folder comes in a clip point as well as the tanto, so that gives me a folder I can like. I think they'll sell very well. I certainly intend to buy a couple.

I agree with you on all points (even liking zombie stuff;)). Well put.:thumbup:

My objection to them isn't the name - I kind of like zombie themed stuff for some reason. My objection is that to me, they look like crap. A previous poster opined that the ZK choppers would chop as well as a BK9 or Junglas. Looking at them, I can't imagine how that could possibly be so but sooner or later, someone will probably do a side-by-side.

In any case, I won't be buying one. The folding ESEE-3 that they were showing at Shot, on the other hand... I'd very much like one of those. I'd rather have a folding Becker, but KaBar appears to be ... otherwise engaged at the moment.

---

Beckerhead #42

I love the Potbelly. I love the Baconmaker. I love the handles. My favorite knives. :thumbup:

For a $45 street price, in 1085 carbon, I'm gonna buy all of them. I even like the green handles. :p

I might buy the folder. I wish the baby Baconmaker was in 1085.

3cr13 steel sucks. The Piggyback is 5cr13 steel and it sucks too.

That's a low price. They will sell.
Pic is a copy of a copy, but I'll put it up anyway.

photo1.jpg

no, the brute is dead dead dead dead dead. DEAD. like zombies. except the brute will not rise again. dead. DEADDDDDDDDDDDDDD. stop asking. it annoys the mighty one (that would be Ethan :>)

KaBar just needs to make a few thousand new Machax knives... and then we're good. they can go back to making mummy slayers, and hydra hackers, and tomb bladers, and captain morgan specials :)

yar
Green handled machax would be an acceptable zombie slayer --- just sayin'... :D

That's a low price. They will sell.
Pic is a copy of a copy, but I'll put it up anyway.

photo1.jpg
Ya' know, the more I see it the more I like the 'dagger', too (in a totally 'just for fun' sorta way):D! Basically, the only one that really seems stupid is the tanto. I still like the two choppers the best.

The recurved chopper that looks like the Brute is a beast. Everything else just looks too gimmicky or impractical for me.

Why does it concern you? Just curious.

I knew someone would ask about this. Honestly, I can't say. I think Moose got close to how I feel about it. Basically, I don't like the idea of a bunch of mall ninjas buying these knives and then risk me looking like as big of a douche as they are for buying or recommending the same knife for its obvious utility value as oppose to its cool look or name. It's the same reason why I will never wear an Ed Hardy shirt. I don't want to be seen as "one of those guys."

KA-BAR was doing fine making knives for soldiers, hunters and outdoorsmen. They didn't need to invite the zombie-tards to the party or pander to such a low common denominator.

Again, I like the knife designs plenty. I don't even have a problem with the color. While I find zombie talk all in good fun, and one could argue that preparing for zombies does nothing more than prepare oneself for ultimate deterioration of society (which isn't a useless exercise), the whole scene has become played out.

I'd be saying the same thing if they were making a Chuck Norris line of knives.

I love the Potbelly. I love the Baconmaker. I love the handles. My favorite knives. :thumbup:

For a $45 street price, in 1085 carbon, I'm gonna buy all of them. I even like the green handles. :p

I might buy the folder. I wish the baby Baconmaker was in 1085.

3cr13 steel sucks. The Piggyback is 5cr13 steel and it sucks too.

I just think of those dinky little additional blades as a firesteel striker.

The Piggyback does throw a good spark off of a rod.

The recurve and the hooked one should be great choppers. The dagger, I can see that becoming popular with the guys who hunt boars with a knife. It's gonna be a hell of a sticker. Actually, the recurve might work well for that too.

"KA-BAR was doing fine making knives for soldiers, hunters and outdoorsmen. They didn't need to invite the zombie-tards to the party or pander to such a low common denominator."

The problem with this is that the next generation isn't like us, it's the zombie killers. For better or for worse.

I have mixed feeling about the ZK knives. I might get one if the price is right. I see the Warthog was updated. I would have liked to see the Impact line brought back.

yar

The Brute (or its facsimile) don't look so dead to me....... just not the same name, or model designation..... perhaps.

A good design, apparently if called for enough, will be revived, even though "some" would like for it to stay dead!

Ha! It may well turn out to be a true "Zombie" the un-dead brute!!!!!!!!!

Back to haunt!!

That would tickle me to no end!!!

I am getting fairly excited to handle one of these "Brutish" versions to see how well it compares, in the flesh, so to speak. Pictures can be tantalizing, but also can be misleading as well.

I can even start to visualize my "00 rings" modded on to it!

Am I the only one who thinks this line will make KABAR the butt of many jokes in the knife biz over the next year? I mean, when I saw the first pictures I said "This has got to be a joke..". I'd hate to see KABAR be the laughing stock.

Am I the only one who thinks this line will make KABAR the butt of many jokes in the knife biz over the next year? I mean, when I saw the first pictures I said "This has got to be a joke..". I'd hate to see KABAR be the laughing stock.

I don't think people will laugh long once they see the quality of the knives. Given my limited experience with the JAB Potbelly and knowing what I know about other KA-BAR products, the quality and design should be nothing to laugh about. I think some people are just going to have a hard time taking it seriously, while others like myself will take the knives seriously, but shy away at risk of looking like a mall ninja.

Despite my misgivings about the zombie line, I am starting to think that KA-BAR should give us some Becker scales with the JAB Adventure Grip texture in neon green. My BK3 would be all over that! :thumbup:

Stop and think about all the free press and buzz over this small grouping of knives. Ka-Bar is definitely getting attention with these new blades and they sure sound like a good value price wise. My take on this is: 1. There is an element of ''tongue in cheek'' fun with this release and that we don't always have to be heart attack serious. 2. Some of the big chopper specs are interesting to the big knife guys, like myself. 3. There would likely be much less buzz if this line came out with the chocolate brown grips like the Potbelly. I have never pretended to be any type of knife authority. I am just a Joe lunch bucket dude that enjoys knives and the outdoors. From this perspective, I find some of the ZK series to be interesting. And the low base price makes them much more accessible for everyone.:thumbup:

Why is everybody so into zombies nowadays? I mean even National Geographic is showing this program on sunday called "The Truth Behind Zombies" :confused: No wonder Kabar wants to get a piece of the cake.

There are forums where people discuss how to survive a zombie attack (those guys are gonna go ape over ZK knives) and where they study zombie movies to "learn" from the main characters faults. I mean they dont even friggin exist!

I bet that if you google pics of any of the ZK knives one year from now, most will pictured indoors and with a keyboard/rug/bed in the background next to a sh*tload of tactical gear. I dont think its the hikers, anglers, hunters and backpackers who are going to rush at ZK's offerings.

Back