Ka-Bars?

Help!

I've been looking at Ka-Bar knives, specifically the original USMC and the new Next Generation series. However, I have heard mixed reviews on these knives. On one hand, I've heard that their great but on the other hand I've heard stories of them breaking when they are needed most. I would appreciate any and all honest and forthright opinions on the matter.

Thanks,
Michael

I have a normal leather handled USMC Ka-Bar fighter I bought when I joined the Marines. It looks and feels like a tough knife, but Busse and Strider make tougher. It is also not a pretty as a Busse or Strider, mine came with stamp marks, and uneven hand gaurd. It has full tang construction, but the tang is not nearly as wide as the blade. It Marines and Navy Seals say the handles used to rot, so dont take it to any rain forests. The Ka-Bar is like an M-16 or AK-47. Its not pretty, but its cheap and gets the job done. :)

Originally posted by Toolin
I have a normal leather handled USMC Ka-Bar fighter I bought when I joined the Marines. It looks and feels like a tough knife, but Busse and Strider make tougher. It is also not a pretty as a Busse or Strider, mine came with stamp marks, and uneven hand gaurd. It has full tang construction, but the tang is not nearly as wide as the blade. It Marines and Navy Seals say the handles used to rot, so dont take it to any rain forests. The Ka-Bar is like an M-16 or AK-47. Its not pretty, but its cheap and gets the job done. :)

Just wanted to drop in and say that I love that sig that you use.

My oldest son has used a Kabar Warthog for three summers of scouting in the Canadian bush...works very well and I hope I will have to sharpen the sucker one of these days. I have used a Kabar USMC as a beater around the cottage, again in the Canadian bush for the last 4 years. I have had to sharpen only once a year or so. It is a tad colder than a rain forest up here but the knives are a good tough bush knife and a good value for the money. Neither of the above are stainless...1095 all the way.

Your tag line hosed me. I was looking for a closeout $89.00 Microtech Mini Socom (still think that would be a bargain) when I read your tagline on a different thread. I finally held a Sebenza and understand. Now I got one (small one). It's the most amazing knife I've ever owned. But damn they're expensive!

Not sure if I should thank you or not.

jmx

Thanks GaRebel and Lead_the_way. That Microtech would have been a great deal, but nothing beats a Benza.;) I should know, I almost sold mine.....:eek:

The Kabar are a fine knife out of 1095 carbon steel The next generation knives are stainless if I am not mistaken. The leather sheaths on the orginal suck IMHO, but a custom one of kydedx would be fine. As its not an extremely thick blade, I am sure they do snap when someone uses them as a prybar. I suggest using a prybar as a prybar and not screwing up the edges or snapping knives in half doing so. The Kabar fixed blades are a solid value. Really have your heart set on prying open things. Better buy a Busse of Infini steel. Or better yet a Kabar and 20 prybars from the hardware store and still spend less money.

Back