KaBar built cedar bow drill kit

The other day as he was dropping me off at the casa Moose asked me to get him a chunk of cedar next time I cut wood.I ran up to the carport and grabbed a nice wrist sized piece about a foot long and give it to the hooved bastard.

Today he sent me a pic of a bow drill set he made using a USMC fighting knife.

Pretty neat looking setup maybe if y'all pester him he will post it here.

Post some pics Moosez45 the little cell pic you sent me did not do it justice.

No need to pester me, you doin' its bad enough. :D

So, like willis said, he gave me a piece of cedar, about as big around as your wrist, and about 15" long. And damn, was that stuff seasoned. I was going to try to use my SAK on it, but not a chance in hell of that happening. SO, I whooped out my 1217, and commenced to create. Bowdrill kits are one of my favorit things in the world to make, and for me, I consider it a good test of a knife's capabilities.

Enough gilding the lily, lets get to the pics.

I didn't take any pics of me making it, sorry, but I wasn't planning on posting it up. :D

100_2943.jpg

Cedar is my favorite material for a bowdrill, and as I see it, its my 99.999% guaranteed wood for getting a coal. My success rate with cedar is pretty high, say, around 95% of the time, I'm getting a good solid coal.

Basic components of a one stick bowdrill kit, hearth, spindle, bearing block, and coal catcher. All made from the same stick.

100_2944.jpg

About a finger's thickness wide, squared up and carved smooth. Like I said, I was drinkin' and whittlin' when I made this. :D

100_2945.jpg

100_2946.jpg

100_2948.jpg

My spindle is a little thicker than I normally make, but I wanted to give a larger diameter a shot this time. Mostly, because with friction, more surface area, the better.

100_2951.jpg

Points looked pretty cool, as I used the inner rings of the wood, as a guide when I was shaving off planks from the outside.

100_2949.jpg

100_2950.jpg

And one of the reasons why I like cedar is the smell. My whole living room smelled of cedar, which is a good smell. Another reason why I like cedar, the savings burn like hell's fires when they catch, so it makes for a good transition from tinder bundle to larger fuel. I try to use everything I carve off when I make a kit, for my ingredients for my fire.

100_2952.jpg

The whole family and the critter what made'em

100_2953.jpg

Moose

Very cool. I really need to try this.

And I can't believe I don't have a stacked leather kabar yet.

:eek: WHAT!?!?!?!?

You don't have a stacked leather Kabar? Cripes man, get on the interwebz, go to Tomar's Kabars and get you one on the way, STAT!!! Pay for overnight shipping, early AM and make sure you have that guy before the fat man in red shows up. You never know what that guy is up to.

:D

Moose

Jan 1 I will be ordering one. I dont know if I can wait... I ordered the Ka-Bar Cutlass machete from tomars, too bad that thing doesnt have a stacked leather handle! It is comfy but still.

I have never had a leather handled Ka-Bar either. In fact, I don't think I have handled a leather handled anything! Sad huh... I need me a Ka-Bar 1217. Probably gonna order one soon, never know. Economy sucks.

So, where's the fire? ;)

Nice looking Hearth board and spindle. My neighbor who teaches kids primitive wilderness skills showed me his setup the other day. He gets a coal with a Sagebrush Hearth board and spindle in seconds. :eek: Yet all that I have gotten so far is a sore arm and blister. :foot:

Back