Kabar Commando

B4F0E7F6-489E-4905-8D48-5A776ADF66D2.jpeg Came across an article about Kabar Commando...Do any of you own one? Why hasn't Kabar re-introduced this model since it seems so practical?

Looks like no fullers on some and flat ground on the black ones. The handles seem more oval and apparently the blades are shorter....I’m guessing closer to 6 inches.

The "commandos" were 6" blades, available in a flat ground parkerized blade or a saber ground fullered chrome plated blade. No real need for them to make re-issues of the model, they have made plenty of 6" blade hunting knives in the last 50 years and still do. The MK2s were all 7" blades and derived from the pre-war KA-BAR model 471-7. I love my old KA-BARS!!

I never knew KA-BAR made deep sea dive knives. I’ve always been fascinated with the screw in dive knives. Never seen a KA-BAR

The 6 inch commando is a lot like the PAL RH36.

To me the only similarity between a KA-BAR commando and the PAL RH36 is that they have six inch blades and leather handles. The KA-BAR is so much better made than the PAL. Pal has a zinc pommel, KA-BAR commandos steel pommels, PAL smooth leather handle, KA-BARs grooved leather handles, better grip. There were some parkerized PAL RH36s but they are pretty scarce, most are plain steel while all the KA-BAR commandos are either parkerized or chrome plated for corrosion resistance. Ed, I have the Union Cut dive knife, will try to remember to post photos tomorrow.

What's interesting about these hardhat diver knives is that the Kabar and Vince Forge versions have that square ricasso. All the other manufacturers (that I've seen) of the USN MK 5 Deep diver knife had the grind go all the way to the front of the handle.

MK 5 manufactures over the years were (and still are for a couple of them)
Batteryless Telephone Equipment Co.
Bomar
Craftsweld
John Date
DESCO
Fischer Spring Works
Morse
A.Schrader & Son
Union Cutlery Co. (Kabar)
Vince
Wenoka (1983 commemorative)

Back