1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Kabar Dozier Longevity

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by LegendTeller, Nov 23, 2020.

1. LegendTeller

LegendTeller

Jan 25, 2013
    Does anyone have any experience with how well the kabar dozier folding hunters hold up to long term edc? I’m confident in the back lock and blade steel but I’m curious about how that zytel holds up over time with normal use. I really like the blade shape, weight and price but I want to be confident that, if this is ever my only knife, that I’ll have a tool I can depend on.

2. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I bought one when they were first introduced, years ago. It's held up great and still functions as when new.
    The Zytel scales have not deteriorated at all.

I have knives with Zytel scales that are 40 years old and show no sign of ever wearing out.

3. DMG

DMG Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2005
    They seem pretty tough. I wouldn’t worry about it. I would avoid only having one knife, regardless.

4. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I don't think zytel is biodegradable.

kylemiller and marcinek like this.
  5. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    The zytel will probably outlast the blade. It's incredibly tough stuff, ideal for its purpose in knives and a lot of other applications.

kylemiller and marcinek like this.
  6. Onies

Onies

Apr 29, 2006
    I picked up one each for my sons who at the time were 13 and 11. My youngest was particularly hard on his over the last 4 years, throwing it, batoning etc. He beat the crap out of it and it still bounces back for more. The orange faded a little, or it could be old fish slime from the 100 or so rock bass dispatched without it. These are good folders, and represent awesome value. I even keep 2 as back up in my hunting day pack.

7. LegendTeller

LegendTeller

Jan 25, 2013
    Thank you all for your replies, I feel more confident that I can count on it if I ever need to now