Kabar Kukri-I think I have to have one!

6thtexas

Gold Member
We did some clearing yesterday at the deer lease and I got to use a friend's Kukri along with my Imacasa machete. I have to get me one now! For the type of brush we have in this area, the Kukri was a much better chopper on everything but the prickly pear. I'm thinking that the Kukri could replace both the machete and small hatchet I keep in the truck.

Fanastic!! Its a helluva blade for sure.

If you got some photoshop skills, I have a contest going right now, where you could win one. They don't cost much, but this one has some Toxic green handles, and is free, for the winner.

Moose

I have 3, actually. I got one, loved it, and wanted to get another, but my wife said I wasn't allowed to get another unless she got one too. So, I bought two; one for me, one for her.

I've been wanting one. But I'm torn between getting one or a bear grylls parang. I don't really need a machete where I go hiking. So something light and small would be ideal. 12-14". I've read mixed reviews on Ka-bar machates. There supposedly made in China, have worse fit and finish then their American made knives, and have terrible sheaths. I was looking at getting their 14" blade grass machete, or the Cutlass. But we'll see. Glad to hear you like Kukri though.

Cutlass I know is Taiwan, which in no way is China. Seen nothing but positive reviews of them. Sheaths look appx the same as the Warthog sheath, which I have and don't like (the hog sheath, not the hog itself). When (not if) I get a Cutlass, I'll get a custom sheath for it.

I'm not all that drawn to khukris as an object of desire, but people seem to love them for their functionality.

The Kabar Kukri is made in Taiwan. It's fit and finish is fine and it chops like a maniac - takes and holds a great edge. The sheath is functional - it's a bit awkward but that is a function of the size of the knife. Get one - you'll be happy you did.

---

Beckerhead #42

I've been wanting one. But I'm torn between getting one or a bear grylls parang. I don't really need a machete where I go hiking. So something light and small would be ideal. 12-14". I've read mixed reviews on Ka-bar machates. There supposedly made in China, have worse fit and finish then their American made knives, and have terrible sheaths. I was looking at getting their 14" blade grass machete, or the Cutlass. But we'll see. Glad to hear you like Kukri though.

the BG Parang is for sure made in China. the quality is acceptable. the steel is unknown to me, and i haven't tested one as yet. don't know the hardness. gerber/fiskars are known to err on the side of being softer/tougher than hard. sheath is amusing, and seems adequate. didn't seem as sharp as it could to me, and during sharpening, seems typically soft for gerber/fiskars product.

the Khukri is made in Taiwan under USA quality contraints/specs. blade is 1085, has a stellar heat treat per Tjooooooj. same for the cutlass and other related models. solid construction. sheaths are acceptable. could be better (various leather and kydex sheaths for large blades), but you can't beat it for price. overall fit and finish is flawless, and the blade are RAZOR sharp.

many American companies would have a hard time meeting and beating the quality of many (most?) the taiwanese made KaBar blades i've seen. seriously.

What has two thumbs and is going to be able to comment on the Cutlass' fit and finish in 5 to 8 business days?

This guy.

Just got the Kukri in. Went out back and trimmed a few cedars, then broght it back to the house and hit it a lick or two on the stone. It popped hair off my arm.

This is a fine tool!:thumbup:

Where are your pics? I did a comparison at one point between an HI WWII and the Ka-bar kukri machete. Wonder where I put that...

I bought a Ka-bar kukri a few months back. Quality of fit and finish is very good and I have no complaints about it at all. The only comment I would make is that it weighs more than the average machete and if you really want a machete then the kukri might not be the best choice. As a chopper it is very good.

I had a 7" heavy bowie from them, and that thing was indestructible. They use the same steel, so I automatically give it my thumbs up.

I would really like to have a kukri, but I don't want to buy a CS Kukri.
I'm gonna wait for the machax or the Kabar USMC Kukri! (if thats what its called??)

-orangish ducktape

I would really like to have a kukri, but I don't want to buy a CS Kukri.
I'm gonna wait for the machax or the Kabar USMC Kukri! (if thats what its called??)

-orangish ducktape

Think I heard 'combat kukri' and dang if it doesn't look good. Toooj outdid himself on that one - or so it seems to me. :D

---

Beckerhead #42

Back