Kabar MK1 leather handle - stripped

Well I'd intended to do this even before I bought my MK1, but never got around to it.... until today when C_Tanner brought it up in the Becker forum. I decided today was the day :D

I put a nice thick coat of Klean Strip gel on the blade and guard and then checked off a couple boxes on my honey-do list.... 26 minutes later the coating came right off with a razor blade. The guard was a little more stubborn and needed some sanding.

Next I put another coat on the pommel and the black part just underneath the guard that fits right next to the leather handle. The pommel literally wiped off with a towel, but the black strip above and below the handle was untouched :confused: Not sure if it's a different material or coating or what... oh well..... I really like the way it turned out. Not 100% finished yet but here's my MK1 so far:

IMG_39172.jpg

IMG_39262.jpg

Reactions: vab
I'm 99% sure that black material between the butt and guard and the leather is plastic of some sort. Thus the lack of stripping. Looks really nice, man. :thumbup:

Looking real good, which handle would you say would be the most comfortable for prolonged usage? I'd like to pick one of these up, not sure on leather or plastic though.

Looking real good, which handle would you say would be the most comfortable for prolonged usage? I'd like to pick one of these up, not sure on leather or plastic though.

The leather handle comes out from the factory "slick-as-glass."

Combined w/ the handle-heavy balance, you have to hold it firm and handle it w/ care.

Wire-brushed and then treated w/ multiple coats of Sno-Seal onto the heated leather...?

It feels like waxed spun fiber that is extremely tactile, comfortable, and water/chem. proof.

Really like this knife.

P.S. After a few trips into the field, the handle is now the same color as the treated sheath... an even, rich, chocolate brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: vab
I'm 99% sure that black material between the butt and guard and the leather is plastic of some sort. Thus the lack of stripping. Looks really nice, man. :thumbup:

Yeah, pretty sure you're correct. I've heard this elsewhere since I posted originally. I just assumed it was some kind of epoxy/paint coating, but nope.

Thanks though, I like the look as well.

Yeah, pretty sure you're correct. I've heard this elsewhere since I posted originally. I just assumed it was some kind of epoxy/paint coating, but nope.

Thanks though, I like the look as well.

Would like to do this as well.

How did you strip it?

EDIT: "...Klean Strip gel..."

I heard the Simple Green takes the epoxy off... but have yet to try it.

Thanks.

GR

Is it just me or does the stripped blade seem longer than the coated one?
Good job on the leather

Back