KAI Collector's do you have this from Williams-Sonoma?

cchu518

Basic Member
I was shopping at the mall and some other places for new flatware and had picked up a nice 18/10 set. We then decided that we needed some new steak knives. Anyhow I was looking at the knife section and found this sitting in the display case.

It is a KAI lockback gent's knife marketed as a Shun however the only marking on it is KAI, made in China. I couldn't identify the steel. It was $30 on sale.

img41o.jpg

Gentlemens 1993-2, same knife, vg10 steel if I remember correctly. Thought it was made in Japan though?You got it for a steal man! I'd pay that in a haeartbeat.

It would not surprise me if Kershaw is having another run of these made in China, as exact clones of these have popped up from one of the Chinese knife companies, under different branding but obviously the same knife.

I had let it pass but I handled it. Really sharp and the tolerances were very tight. The leafspring was very strong as well. If I had k own it might have had better steel I would have scooped it up. Can anyone identify the steel? I felt like I didn't need another 8cr13 blade.

If its chinese I would assume 8cr13mov. I just know the previous Japanese ones were vg10, Kershaw and KAI both.

Takefu, the manufacturer of VG-10, has started allowing some for export. It is entirely possible to have a KAI knife made in one of their China plants using this steel. I have a knife that is Ti and VG-10 and the consignor told me it was made by a Japanese family living in China. So if it says VG-10 on it, I would venture a guess this is correct.

I just looked at mine and its marked Kershaw on one side of the blade and 1993-2 VG-10 Japan on the other. I should add this is an excellent piece. The polished G-10 gives the knife a very classy look. The edge was perfect out of the box and VG-10 will accept a really sharp edge. The lockup is very stout, and when opening the blade you can hear and feel a strong "snap!" as the lock engages. To the OP, if you can get one of these I would offer that you could do worse...this is an excellent example fo KAI's Japanese production capabilities.

Last edited:
Its not a friction I played with that one too. Its a liner lock, little overpriced since its trying to copy a peasant knife design!

The build quality was definitely up to spec if it was vg10 and at its 30 price I would have jumped on it. The scales are micarta btw.

It was 119 bucks and labelled a KAI higo nokami aka friction folder yet it was a liner lock...

You can find the original one on that bay place if you search. And its less than the price you mentioned.

I understand but after eating at Palm, Smith and Wollensky, Capital Grille, Keen's, Del Frisco's, Old Homesteak, Wolfgang's even J&R steak's I've never had to have a personal steak knife. That said I'm ok with it being VG10 and a pricey "personal" steak knife. I do find it ironic that if you can afford a personal steak knife would you really be eating at steak joints that have bad flatware.

Anyhow the original higo nokami is a simple folder, carbon blade, cheap. This thing for $119 is far too refined to even come close to being a higo nokami except for the protruding lever that opens the blade.

Its not a friction I played with that one too. Its a liner lock, little overpriced since its trying to copy a peasant knife design!

It was 119 bucks and labelled a KAI higo nokami aka friction folder yet it was a liner lock...

I understand but after eating at Palm, Smith and Wollensky, Capital Grille, Keen's, Del Frisco's, Old Homesteak, Wolfgang's even J&R steak's I've never had to have a personal steak knife. That said I'm ok with it being VG10 and a pricey "personal" steak knife. I do find it ironic that if you can afford a personal steak knife would you really be eating at steak joints that have bad flatware.

Anyhow the original higo nokami is a simple folder, carbon blade, cheap. This thing for $119 is far too refined to even come close to being a higo nokami except for the protruding lever that opens the blade.

The HIGO NOKAMI PERSONAL STEAK/GENTLEMAN'S KNIFE is more an elegant Gentleman's pocket knife. It's very well-made and a joy to hold. With the liner lock it's safe too. The whole personal steak knife use is a stretch specially and downright silly if dining at Mastro's, Cut, Ruth's or Morton's nearby.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Hand-sharpened 16° double-bevel blade (32° comprehensive)
  • Steel: VG10
  • Handle: Ebony PakkaWood® with inlaid mosaic crest
  • Blade length: 3 1/2 in. (8.9 cm)
  • Handcrafted in Japan
  • Includes leather sheath and lacquered presentation box

dm5900_1__760x298.jpg

Forgot to mention that my Shun Higo Nokami cost me under $95 delivered.

I'm only familiar with Morton's and Ruth's, having had their steaks as well (I remember Ruth's doing the drowned in butter thing like Luger's) their steak knives work fine too!

I didn't mean any disrespect to the Shun Higo owners. It's a fine gent's knife of really nice production quality! It shouldn't be marketed as a personal steak knife or a higo however which is all I was trying to say. Maybe higo inspired, as real higo's sell for $30, but again, its too nice of a knife to be called a higo which is a peasant friction knife.

Yes, it's neither a personal steak knife nor a peasant's knife. A unique niche as an elegant Gentleman's pocket knife.

It's like an Opinel, which also started as a peasant's knife in 19th century France and goes for less than $10. However, you can fancy beautiful ones with horn tip handles for $140.

PS - I forgot Palm and Capital Grille nearby.

The $30 William Sonoma folder has been around for a while and I don't think anyone has been able to get a clear answer on the blade steel. I think that if it was vg10 they would advertise it as such instead of just calling it high carbon stainless steel. I think there have been two previous versions of this knife that were made in Japan. The original #1993 had brass bolsters, polished micarta, and a vg10 blade and the other was the #1993-2 which looks identical to the Williams Sonoma knife. I think they were limited edition knives but I havent been able to find a whole lot of information on these. If anyone knows anything else please share.

I forgot to mention that there is the Navy k611 which looks identical to the Kai folder. I wonder if Kai had them made by the same Chinese factory?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 22
Back