KakBritva Luch, Hapstone R2, TSPROF K03.........looking for a fixed higher end "complete" sharpening system. Need advice

I found this forum as I fell into the rabbit hole of sharpener systems. I thought for sure I was going to buy a KME, but then postings in this forum have changed my mind. As I read posts from others, there appeared to be much better/refined options out there. I somewhat settled on the KakBritva, Hapstone and TSPROF brands as these brands have been brought up the most. I looked at the Kazak but that brand always showed up less in searches. Being new, I have looked at all the "Black Versions" on Gritomatic.

With some of the brands I mentioned, availability looks to be an issue. To my untrained eye, the KakBritva Luch seems to be a great product but I can find it nowhere in the US. I even enlisted my Russian son in law to review the KakBritva website and let me know if I can buy one. His response was it would be a risk to send any money to a Russian company right now. On Gritomatic the Hapstone R2 Black is out of stock. Though it does look like I can buy the R2 directly from the Ukraine (or at least from their website).

Speaking of Gritomatic, I have used the "Contact Us" tab and have yet to get a response after 2-3 business days. I also called them but have yet to get a live person on the phone. Might they be closed or just overwhelmed with business as we enter the new year? Maybe they are on vacation.

I would appreciate everyones advice on the following.
1.) Are some of these out of stock/unavailable sharpeners worth waiting for?
2.) If something is not available, might they not be available for months or years? I ask knowing I just waited 11 months for a shotgun to show up in the US that I just bought
3.) Are there other vendors I should look at outside of Gritomatic
4.) My sharpening needs are smaller folding knives along with kitchen knives. Nothing crazy in size though I do have an old butcher knife that is approx. 10 inches in length

To all of you with your vast knowledge, if you could take all that you know and buy one system today (or next month if it is out of stock) what would it be?

Thank you!!

I use and recommend Wicked Edge sharpeners. If you're on a tight budget they have the new WE60. It is also the best for smaller knives.

I do not have vast knowledge. I have 1 'real' sharpening machine, a Hapstone R2. To be fair, I snagged it off a popular auction site, which shall remain nameless in accordance with the terms and conditions here at BF. I'm very happy with it, and can tell you that it will handle everything from a folder with about a 3" blade to a 7" kitchen knife. I'm sure it will handle more, but that's all I've used it on. Unfortunately, I don't have any other systems with which to give you a good comparison.

I do not have vast knowledge. I have 1 'real' sharpening machine, a Hapstone R2. To be fair, I snagged it off a popular auction site, which shall remain nameless in accordance with the terms and conditions here at BF. I'm very happy with it, and can tell you that it will handle everything from a folder with about a 3" blade to a 7" kitchen knife. I'm sure it will handle more, but that's all I've used it on. Unfortunately, I don't have any other systems with which to give you a good comparison.
i second on the hapstone r2 great sharpener and to the OP amazon has in stock delivery 1/11-1/17 ((i didn't compare prices) fwiw

I'm still a KME fan. It looks a bit outdated compared to some of the others out there now, but they all basically do the same thing. There's a little learning curve to all of them, and you can get good results with any of them.

Has anyone ever placed hands on a KakBritva? It looks so well built, I just wish I knew when it would be available again.

Try a search here, or wait for 777 Edge to chime in. He's seemingly tried every system that Gritomatic sells and is very knowledgeable about them.

I also have a couple Filet Knives, might I be able to use the Standard R2 clamps along with the Filet Clamps at the same time or might these 2 different clamps not be useful at the same time?

I bought it through gritomatic. I actually have the r1. So from what I can tell my clamps are a little different, but I've done a filet knife with it. For pocket knives it's normally just the older version of the center clamp. For bigger stuff I add a side clamp or two. On smaller stuff I have to get creative with the clamping at times. It's rare that I find it easier to just do it by hand though. It's normally a coworkers traditional with tiny blades.

Just to muddy the water....could not be happier with my Kazak.
-Mark
I do not think things could get muddier. To my newbie mind it is like comparing Toyota vs Honda vs Subaru. I just wish some of the systems that are sold out would return soon. But then again, what is the time frame for soon?

Any of the 3 are excellent systems and made to very high standards. They should all last a lifetime and will all get your knife as sharp as it can be.

The KakBritva "Luch" is a great machine and unbeatable value for money with lots of upgrade options but in the current political environment you may find it hard to get hold of one and even harder to manage after sales support. TSProf K03 are also excellent, but a little more pricey than the rest. Upgrades for the K03 are also very expensive.

I have, and use all of them and I keep falling back on recommending the Hapstone R2 "Standard" version that Gritomatic sells. There really is no need to get the "Black" version as you don't really need 2 sets of Universal angled clamps. Pair it up with a set of Venev stones, a digital angle cube, a Hapstone fine tuning adapter and a set of spring stoppers and you have an unbeatable system. I typically recommend the Hapstone system because of its versatility, modularity, upgrade-ability and extremely good value for money.

Personally, I would buy from Gritomatic. They are a USA based company with great values and excellent after-sales support.

Has Gritomatic gotten back to you yet?

To add some confusion - if you're willing to wait a little while, Gritomatic will soon sell the Kazak "Mosquito" system for (I'm guessing) around $200. It is also a great system and very cool looking sharpener.

Here is a Gritomatic stock photo of the Kazak "Mosquito" :

Mosquito.jpg

Last edited:
Hapstone R2 "Standard" version that Gritomatic sells. There really is no need to get the "Black" version as you don't really need 2 sets of Universal angled clamps. Pair it up with a set of Venev stones, a digital angle cube, a Hapstone fine tuning adapter and a set of spring stoppers and you have an unbeatable system.
Just got this (I may have forgotten the spring stoppers), and can't wait to get it out of the box. Any tips? The Venev stones I got are double sided and a little different thickness than the strop stuff. Any issue finding the right stropping angle with the fine tuning adapter? Any thing else I should know?

Any of the 3 are excellent systems and made to very high standards. They should all last a lifetime and will all get your knife as sharp as it can be.

The KakBritva "Luch" is a great machine and unbeatable value for money with lots of upgrade options but in the current political environment you will find it hard to get hold of one. TSProf K03 are also excellent, but a little more pricey than the rest. Upgrades for the K03 are also very expensive.

I have, and use all of them and I keep falling back on recommending the Hapstone R2 "Standard" version that Gritomatic sells. There really is no need to get the "Black" version as you don't really need 2 sets of Universal angled clamps. Pair it up with a set of Venev stones, a digital angle cube, a Hapstone fine tuning adapter and a set of spring stoppers and you have an unbeatable system. I typically recommend the Hapstone system because of its versatility, modularity, upgrade-ability and extremely good value for money.

Personally, I would buy from Gritomatic. They are a USA based company with great values and excellent after-sales support.

Has Gritomatic gotten back to you yet?

To add some confusion - if you're willing to wait a little while, Gritomatic will soon sell the Kazak "Mosquito" system for (I'm guessing) around $200. It is also a great system and very cool looking sharpener.

Here is a Gritomatic stock photo of the Kazak "Mosquito" :

View attachment 2043469
Gritomatic never did respond to my online inquiry. I have not followed up with another call either. Thank you for the feedback. I am fine with ordering the Hapstone R2, but I hesitate hoping the KakBritva shows up somewhere. Thanks again for your insight

Gritomatic never did respond to my online inquiry. I have not followed up with another call either. Thank you for the feedback. I am fine with ordering the Hapstone R2, but I hesitate hoping the KakBritva shows up somewhere. Thanks again for your insight
777 Edge 777 Edge
Last week, I also sent Gritomatic an inquiry about future availability of the KakBritva "Luch", as well as the LeadingEdge V-Sharpener.
No response.

Has anyone ever bought directly from Hapstone?

I bought directly from Hapstone from their listing on an auction site. The listing indicated 3-8 weeks for delivery to US. It took 10 days. I bought in late August last year.

Ukranian tracking showed when it left Ukraine, but no tracking after that. (I have seen the same from Germany for a different product.)

Everything was well packed and looks great. Work got busy, so I haven’t used it much yet. I should be able to get the sharpening going in the next few weeks.

Just got this (I may have forgotten the spring stoppers), and can't wait to get it out of the box. Any tips? The Venev stones I got are double sided and a little different thickness than the strop stuff. Any issue finding the right stropping angle with the fine tuning adapter? Any thing else I should know?
If you don't have the spring stoppers, just be careful not to run off the end of the stone and scratch your blade or slam into the edge. You can use some small rubber o-rings as stoppers to start with.

Some quick tips to get started :

1 - If you want to keep the angle the same as the factory angle, use a black sharpie to mark the edge and adjust your angle until you grind off the sharpie ink. Measure the angle and take note of it for the rest of your sharpening & future reference. I really recommend not going with factory angles as they are almost always off. Pick a decent edge angle (depending on the use of the knife) and re-grind the edge to this angle. Initial edge bevel setting / regrinding with your coarse stone will take a while but it's worth doing. For most modern steel knives with good heat treats and for every day use blades used for slice cutting - go for around 15 degrees sharpening angle per side of the blade. For chopping blades or more hard use edges, go for a higher angle.

2 - Always try to clamp your knives in the same spot - take a photo and keep it as a record for future use. Try to clamp the blade with the heel-to-tip line approximately perpendicular to your clamps (as far as possible).

3 - Make sure the insides of the clamps are clean, so no grit particles from previous sharpening scratches your knife when clamped. It's normally not necessary if your clamps are clean inside but if you want to be sure not to leave any scratches / scuffs on the blade then use some painters tape on your blade. Make sure the knife is securely clamped and does not rotate up and down at all inside the clamps. As far as possible, use 1 clamp on the flat ricasso area or a flat part of the landing on the spine if the knife has a flat section. This will stop any up and down rotation of the blade. Use the second clamp closer to the tip (about an inch back) to stop any up & down flex of the blade. If the knife has a thumb stud, remove it if possible or clamp the knife off to one side of the clamp bar so you miss the thumb stud while sharpening.

4 - Use a digital angle cube and always measure your sharpening angle on the same side of the blade and in the same spot of the blade and with your stone touching the blade on the same spot. Make sure the angle cube is perpendicular to the clamps / sharpening plane. Regular digital angle cubes cannot measure the correct angle if they are angled & rotated at the same time. If at all possible, use the middle of the rotating clamp unit as the line of measurement, not the extreme sides. If you're off to one side for whatever reason (knife clamped off to the side) then make sure the angle cube is perpendicular to the sharpening plane. This is very important. There will almost always be very slight differences in primary bevel angles / clamp asymmetry / bar asymmetry etc. Don't be too overly concerned about the slightly different angle you'll invariably get when measuring the opposite side of the blade. Don't re-measure and re-adjust the angle every time you flip the clamp bar around or you'll be chasing your own tail down a rabbit hole. I typically always measure my angle with the knife handle facing to my right and with the middle of the stone resting in the centre of the blade. Only ever measure and adjust your sharpening angle using the same consistent spot and same side of the knife.

5 - Use lubrication when sharpening with any stone, even if the manufacturer states it can be used dry. Soapy water works perfectly fine in most cases. Just a couple drops of plain old liquid dish soap and water in a dropper bottle will be fine.

6 - Don't use force when sharpening, just the weight of your hand is already almost too much. When finishing on your final stones and strops - don't use any pressure at all, just the weight of the stone and stone clamp bar is about enough as finishing stokes.

7 - Make sure you grind all the way to the very apex of the edge, especially on your coarse stones when setting a new edge bevel. Check and feel for a burr on the opposite side of the blade. Use a magnifying lens / USB microscope / loupe and a good light source if you want to visually keep and eye on it too.

8 - Don't grind down one side of the edge to much more than the other side, or your edge bevel will be wider on one side than the other side of the blade. This also means your edge will be out of alignment with the centre of the blade. If your edge bevel is smaller on one side of the blade, spend more time with your coarse stone on the narrow side until it is even with the opposite side.

9 - Before swapping stones, flip the knife over to the start point again, slide the burr off with a light pass of the coarse stone and re-measure your angle. Wipe all the previous stone particles and metal swarf off of your blade with a clean part of a damp cloth and be careful not to scratch your blade - loose diamond / abrasive particles wiped over the blade with a dry paper towel can easily scratch your blade. Swap stones to the next finer grit you want to use and adjust the angle to hit the same angle as before. With stones manufactured the "same thickness" - even with diamond plates there will mostly be a tiny difference in stone thickness that will affect your sharpening angle if you don't adjust for it.

10 - After initial bevel setting you won't need too many passes of your finer grit stones when you progress up. The Venev stones cut well and will remove the scratch pattern of the previous stone in no time at all.

11 - At the end of every stone use and before progressing to the next stone, flip the blade back and forth and do a few very light push strokes on each side (push strokes / leading edge strokes work well for burr minimisation during progression in my experience). For final finishing - edge trailing does a good job, but for progression and burr minimisation I find edge leading final strokes best.

12 - If for some reason you have a blade that struggles with microscopic edge chipping (and I mean microscopic - only visible under magnification), then raise the sharpening angle by about 0.2-0.5 degrees for the last while of sharpening with your final stone. Using very light strokes and creating a microbevel will often finish up a "challenging" steel quite well. Some people adjust the angle up a fraction every time they go to the next finer stone - this is also worth experimenting with and tends to speed up your sharpening a lot.

13 - Always strop with trailing edge strokes or you'll cut into your strops. When stropping with a soft substrate like leather, its worth dropping the angle lower by a tiny bit (up to 0.5 degrees sometimes) in order not to round the edge. If you're using loaded strops then only do very few light stokes. Start with only 5 strokes or so. If you do too many stokes, your edge could start to dull again.

14 - For an EDC edge, I personally prefer finishing with the Venev F400 grit and no stropping. It leaves a screaming sharp and very "sticky" edge on EDC knives.

15 - When you're done, clean up your Venev stones with a nylon brush / old toothbrush with dish soap and water. Rinse properly and let dry before storing them. After many sharpening sessions if you feel your stones are starting to load up or drop in performance, then use a conditioning stone to rub over the surface of the stones under running water for a minute or so until the surface is nicely reconditioned and clean again. I find the "King Nagura" #8000 stone works very well for this purpose.

16 - Don't obsess too much about stone "flatness" with your new set of Venev stones. They are good to go just as they are (brand new) and they don't really require any preparation when new. There are a lot of rumours about initial preparation but this has more to do with old generation Venev stones. After hundreds of sessions, you might want to flatten your coarse stone again with some silicon carbide on a flat surface, but it won't be necessary for a long time. Your finer grit stones will likely never need flattening unless you're a professional sharpener using them every day.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you don't have the spring stoppers, just be careful not to run off the end of the stone and scratch your blade or slam into the edge. You can use some small rubber o-rings as stoppers to start with.

Some quick tips to get started :

1 - If you want to keep the angle the same as the factory angle, use a black sharpie to mark the edge and adjust your angle until you grind off the sharpie ink. Measure the angle and take note of it for the rest of your sharpening & future reference. I really recommend not going with factory angles as they are almost always off. Pick a decent edge angle (depending on the use of the knife) and re-grind the edge to this angle. Initial edge bevel setting / regrinding with your coarse stone will take a while but it's worth doing. For most modern steel knives with good heat treats and for every day use blades used for slice cutting - go for around 15 degrees sharpening angle per side of the blade. For chopping blades or more hard use edges, go for a higher angle.

2 - Always try to clamp your knives in the same spot - take a photo and keep it as a record for future use. Try to clamp the blade with the heel-to-tip line approximately perpendicular to your clamps (as far as possible).

3 - Make sure the insides of the clamps are clean, so no grit particles from previous sharpening scratches your knife when clamped. It's normally not necessary if your clamps are clean inside but if you want to be sure not to leave any scratches / scuffs on the blade then use some painters tape on your blade. Make sure the knife is securely clamped and does not rotate up and down at all inside the clamps. As far as possible, use 1 clamp on the flat ricasso area or a flat part of the landing on the spine if the knife has a flat section. This will stop any up and down rotation of the blade. Use the second clamp closer to the tip (about an inch back) to stop any up & down flex of the blade. If the knife has a thumb stud, remove it if possible or clamp the knife off to one side of the clamp bar so you miss the thumb stud while sharpening.

4 - Use a digital angle cube and always measure your sharpening angle on the same side of the blade and in the same spot of the blade and with your stone touching the blade on the same spot. Make sure the angle cube is perpendicular to the clamps / sharpening plane. Regular digital angle cubes cannot measure the correct angle if they are angled & rotated at the same time. If at all possible, use the middle of the rotating clamp unit as the line of measurement, not the extreme sides. If you're off to one side for whatever reason (knife clamped off to the side) then make sure the angle cube is perpendicular to the sharpening plane. This is very important. There will almost always be very slight differences in primary bevel angles / clamp asymmetry / bar asymmetry etc. Don't be too overly concerned about the slightly different angle you'll invariably get when measuring the opposite side of the blade. Don't re-measure and re-adjust the angle every time you flip the clamp bar around or you'll be chasing your own tail down a rabbit hole. I typically always measure my angle with the knife handle facing to my right and with the middle of the stone resting in the centre of the blade. Only ever measure and adjust your sharpening angle using the same consistent spot and same side of the knife.

5 - Use lubrication when sharpening with any stone, even if the manufacturer states it can be used dry. Soapy water works perfectly fine in most cases. Just a couple drops of plain old liquid dish soap and water in a dropper bottle will be fine.

6 - Don't use force when sharpening, just the weight of your hand is already almost too much. When finishing on your final stones and strops - don't use any pressure at all, just the weight of the stone and stone clamp bar is about enough as finishing stokes.

7 - Make sure you grind all the way to the very apex of the edge, especially on your coarse stones when setting a new edge bevel. Check and feel for a burr on the opposite side of the blade. Use a magnifying lens / USB microscope / loupe and a good light source if you want to visually keep and eye on it too.

8 - Don't grind down one side of the edge to much more than the other side, or your edge bevel will be wider on one side than the other side of the blade. This also means your edge will be out of alignment with the centre of the blade. If your edge bevel is smaller on one side of the blade, spend more time with your coarse stone on the narrow side until it is even with the opposite side.

9 - Before swapping stones, flip the knife over to the start point again, slide the burr off with a light pass of the coarse stone and re-measure your angle. Wipe all the previous stone particles and metal swarf off of your blade with a clean part of a damp cloth and be careful not to scratch your blade - loose diamond / abrasive particles wiped over the blade with a dry paper towel can easily scratch your blade. Swap stones to the next finer grit you want to use and adjust the angle to hit the same angle as before. With stones manufactured the "same thickness" - even with diamond plates there will mostly be a tiny difference in stone thickness that will affect your sharpening angle if you don't adjust for it.

10 - After initial bevel setting you won't need too many passes of your finer grit stones when you progress up. The Venev stones cut well and will remove the scratch pattern of the previous stone in no time at all.

11 - At the end of every stone use and before progressing to the next stone, flip the blade back and forth and do a few very light push strokes on each side (push strokes / leading edge strokes work well for burr minimisation during progression in my experience). For final finishing - edge trailing does a good job, but for progression and burr minimisation I find edge leading final strokes best.

12 - If for some reason you have a blade that struggles with microscopic edge chipping (and I mean microscopic - only visible under magnification), then raise the sharpening angle by about 0.2-0.5 degrees for the last while of sharpening with your final stone. Using very light strokes and creating a microbevel will often finish up a "challenging" steel quite well. Some people adjust the angle up a fraction every time they go to the next finer stone - this is also worth experimenting with and tends to speed up your sharpening a lot.

13 - Always strop with trailing edge strokes or you'll cut into your strops. When stropping with a soft substrate like leather, its worth dropping the angle lower by a tiny bit (up to 0.5 degrees sometimes) in order not to round the edge. If you're using loaded strops then only do very few light stokes. Start with only 5 strokes or so. If you do too many stokes, your edge could start to dull again.

14 - For an EDC edge, I personally prefer finishing with the Venev F400 grit and no stropping. It leaves a screaming sharp and very "sticky" edge on EDC knives.

15 - When you're done, clean up your Venev stones with a nylon brush / old toothbrush with dish soap and water. Rinse properly and let dry before storing them. After many sharpening sessions if you feel your stones are starting to load up or drop in performance, then use a conditioning stone to rub over the surface of the stones under running water for a minute or so until the surface is nicely reconditioned and clean again. I find the "King Nagura" #8000 stone works very well for this purpose.

16 - Don't obsess too much about stone "flatness" with your new set of Venev stones. They are good to go just as they are (brand new) and they don't really require any preparation when new. There are a lot of rumours about initial preparation but this has more to do with old generation Venev stones. After hundreds of sessions, you might want to flatten your coarse stone again with some silicon carbide on a flat surface, but it won't be necessary for a long time. Your finer grit stones will likely never need flattening unless you're a professional sharpener using them every day.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!

Back