Kapara or Advocate

Long time Spydie fan currently using an Endela (stellar knife Sal). I have owned the PM2, Shaman and GB1. I would like to upgrade my edc and have narrowed it down to the Kapara or Advocate. I do not have access to a retailer to try first hand. Blade steel, action, build quality and visuals on both are appealing. I am more concerned with ergo's for my medium sized hands. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I like the Advocate; but it's been discontinued, and is likely to be out of stock at retailers.
ClyXbN4.jpg

Last edited:
Kapara. The Kapara is a very special knife. Perfect in so many ways.

Both are great knives, but I prefer the Advocate. I have large hands and just find the indexing on the Kapara a little funky. The Advocate, on the other hand, is pretty much ergonomically perfect. Both are nice and slicey, but the Advocate’s M4 will support a pretty acute edge. I sharpened mine at 14 degrees, and it’s just a crazy good cutter.

Another apples and oranges comparison.

I own 135 Spydercos, including the Advocate which is one of my favorites because I like flippers and I like the way the Advocate looks and feels in my hand and pocket. It's thin and textured Ti scales provide a firm grip and a unique look unlike any other knife that Spyderco makes. The M4 blade is popular but really doesn't matter to me because I don't use my Advocate to cut anything.

I have thought about but have never chosen to purchase a Kapara because I already own other Spydercos like it and it is not unique enough to compel me to buy it.

One of the knives that I consider similar to the Kapara is the Amalgam, which I prefer over the Kapara.

The Amalgam and Kapara both have compression locks and S30V blade steel (so no difference there) but the Amalgam blade is longer (a preference of mine) and better shaped for general use (another preference of mine). The only other difference is that the Kapara has solid CF scales and the Amalgam only uses CF lam scales (but this difference doesn't matter to me). So, this is why I prefer the Amalgam over the Kapara.

The Kapara was also supposedly created by the designer so that it could use it for food prep; see the product description.The sheepsfoot design of the blade reflects that.

So, if you need a pocket knife for food prep, the Kapara would be one to consider but, if that's how you plan to use the knife, I'd recommend the SpydieChef over the Kapara because the SpydieChef comes a LC200N blade which should be impervious to any use you put it to; not so the Kapara which comes w/a S30V blade.

Also while the solid CF scales of the Kapara are nice, I think that the Ti scales of the SpydieChef would be more durable. Lastly, if you gunk up your knives, the SpydieChef w/its standard lock would easier to clean than the Kapara w/its compression lock.

This is why the SpydieChef gets the nod from me over the Kapara for food prep.

So, OP, whether you "should" choose the Advocate or the Amalgam strictly depends on your preferences. If you are not clear about what those preferences, then I suggest you buy BOTH of the knives from a dealer who will allow you to return one of them after you have had the chance to actually hold them in your hand.

Good luck in making a decision that makes you happy. :)

BTW, I own all of the knives mentioned in this discussion, except the Kapara.

Last edited:
I own them both and while I liked the Kapara enough to have REK do this to it...
3q3CKWH.jpg

I say get the Advocate while they are still in stock at a discounted price. Can always pickup the Kapara later. Both are excellent.

Back