1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Kapara Upgraded

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by BilboBaggins, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I recently finished up a collaboration with Josh @razor-edge-knives on a Spyderco Kapara. When I say a "collaboration", I mean that Josh and I agreed at the beginning that we would each work on the parts of the knife that fell most in our wheelhouse. Josh wound up doing most of the easy stuff like making new scales from OD Green Micarta, putting a thumb ramp in, giving the blade a heavy working stonewash finish, adding a sharpening choil, sharpening it to a nice 15 dps, and tuning the lockup and action.

I had to do the really difficult stuff. I ordered a clip from Spyderco (same as the one from the Spydiechef) AND I installed it AND I rubbed a little oil into the Micarta to darken it up a bit. I'm pretty damn pleased with the results. What say you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you Josh!!!!!!!!!

2. Eljay2

Eljay2

Sep 25, 2018
    I say: freaking gorgeous! Congratulations!

BilboBaggins likes this.
  3. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    I'd certainly use this kapara as an EDC more than the OG one, which seems like a nice classy out on the town knife cuz of that CF. :D

BilboBaggins likes this.
  4. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    Really nice.
    That looks awesome.

BilboBaggins likes this.
  5. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Not a fan of stone/acidwashing blades, but it really adds to the theme you settled on. I would've had Josh blast the torx while he was at it, however if it were mine. Maybe tumble the hi-polish shine off the clip too.

I like the CF on the stock Kappy, but I L-O-V-E love the Micarta you & Josh crafted. :thumbsup:

Clutch job on the clip >>> those clip change-outs can be very high difficulty...rivaled only by the dreaded backspacer swap...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Im not really sure what you paid Josh for, seems like you did all the work. But anyway, it turned out really nice. Love the scales.

7. mitch13

mitch13

Nov 3, 2004
    Nicely done.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mitch

8. BilboBaggins

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I fell in love with the Kapara almost the day it showed up, but I could just not get my big, fat hands to hold onto it well while I disengaged the compression lock. The stock CF scales are certainly beautiful, but they were slick as snot and there is not a huge area to grab hold of since the lock area is the narrowest part of the knife. Josh does stellar work, and the knife is now one I will have (and use) for forever.

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  9. V-1

V-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    That looks amazing! Great job, takes the Kapara in a new direction.
    I've been carrying my Kapara for a few months now. I really like it's ergonomics and blade grind. Carries like a smaller knife and cuts like a laser. I think mine needs this treatment now...

BilboBaggins likes this.
  10. BilboBaggins

Feb 14, 2016
    I'm quite pleased with it and I'm sure Josh could take care of it for you!

11. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    WOW. Home run!