Kapara Upgraded

I recently finished up a collaboration with Josh @razor-edge-knives on a Spyderco Kapara. When I say a "collaboration", I mean that Josh and I agreed at the beginning that we would each work on the parts of the knife that fell most in our wheelhouse. Josh wound up doing most of the easy stuff like making new scales from OD Green Micarta, putting a thumb ramp in, giving the blade a heavy working stonewash finish, adding a sharpening choil, sharpening it to a nice 15 dps, and tuning the lockup and action.

I had to do the really difficult stuff. I ordered a clip from Spyderco (same as the one from the Spydiechef) AND I installed it AND I rubbed a little oil into the Micarta to darken it up a bit. I'm pretty damn pleased with the results. What say you?

3q3CKWH.jpg

yT145Jn.jpg

8QM2slv.jpg

rKcGU8S.jpg

NbOnTK6.jpg

Thank you Josh!!!!!!!!!

I recently finished up a collaboration with Josh @razor-edge-knives on a Spyderco Kapara. When I say a "collaboration", I mean that Josh and I agreed at the beginning that we would each work on the parts of the knife that fell most in our wheelhouse. Josh wound up doing most of the easy stuff like making new scales from OD Green Micarta, putting a thumb ramp in, giving the blade a heavy working stonewash finish, adding a sharpening choil, sharpening it to a nice 15 dps, and tuning the lockup and action.

I had to do the really difficult stuff. I ordered a clip from Spyderco (same as the one from the Spydiechef) AND I installed it AND I rubbed a little oil into the Micarta to darken it up a bit. I'm pretty damn pleased with the results. What say you?

3q3CKWH.jpg

yT145Jn.jpg

8QM2slv.jpg

rKcGU8S.jpg

NbOnTK6.jpg

Thank you Josh!!!!!!!!!

I say: freaking gorgeous! Congratulations!

I'd certainly use this kapara as an EDC more than the OG one, which seems like a nice classy out on the town knife cuz of that CF. :D

Not a fan of stone/acidwashing blades, but it really adds to the theme you settled on. I would've had Josh blast the torx while he was at it, however if it were mine. Maybe tumble the hi-polish shine off the clip too.

I like the CF on the stock Kappy, but I L-O-V-E love the Micarta you & Josh crafted. :thumbsup:

Clutch job on the clip >>> those clip change-outs can be very high difficulty...rivaled only by the dreaded backspacer swap...

R9Qb7A4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments everyone. I fell in love with the Kapara almost the day it showed up, but I could just not get my big, fat hands to hold onto it well while I disengaged the compression lock. The stock CF scales are certainly beautiful, but they were slick as snot and there is not a huge area to grab hold of since the lock area is the narrowest part of the knife. Josh does stellar work, and the knife is now one I will have (and use) for forever.

That looks amazing! Great job, takes the Kapara in a new direction.
I've been carrying my Kapara for a few months now. I really like it's ergonomics and blade grind. Carries like a smaller knife and cuts like a laser. I think mine needs this treatment now...

That looks amazing! Great job, takes the Kapara in a new direction.
I've been carrying my Kapara for a few months now. I really like it's ergonomics and blade grind. Carries like a smaller knife and cuts like a laser. I think mine needs this treatment now...
I'm quite pleased with it and I'm sure Josh could take care of it for you!

20201217_223252.jpg 20201217_223414.jpg

Hey man just wanted to say I found this thread a while back and got a little inspiration. I love the Kapara but those stock scales are way too slick. Here's mine, with the Cuscadi 'vintage' micarta treatment, just received today.

Last edited:
I had originally followed up with Josh, who said he would announce on the site if he was doing any more scales. I wasn't that patient so went looking elsewhere and Cuscadi has them, although the exchange rate to Germany didn't help. I later found a few people on IG that will do Kapara scales too.

Back