1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Karambit-like object in forged ti alloy

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by Mecha, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:45 AM.

1. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello all,

I have here a strange knife that is sort of a straight karambit-like object.

This was made a couple years ago for a boat captain to give as a gift to another boat captain who liked karambits. Well, turns out the captain who was to receive the knife turned into a big asshole, and boat captain #1 rightly decided to keep the knife for himself.

Eventually the knife was given back to me because boat captain #1 had no use for it! It has sat since around in a drawer for a couple years until I happened upon it recently. It was never used.

This knife was forged from 90Ti 10Nb titanium alloy bar stock that I normally use for swords. The material does not forge the same way steel does, which accounts for the straightness of the karambit. It was impossible to get the blade to arc downwards more than it does. However it does work, and has a nice big hole for your booger hook, and a weird oval handle wrap made of rubber, nylon, and leather. The leather can be taken off without disturbing the handle superstructure if someone wants to wrap it with something else, which I wouldn't blame them.

The blade exhibits an imperfect, slippery shiny gray oxide left from heat treatment, and is sharp enough to cut through clothing and disembowel an enemy ninja or whatever it is karambits are for. I don't know, I'm not a karambiteer. I'm more of a "duct tape a machete to your back under your T-shirt" kinda guy.

The finger hole has some chatter marks, and it is generally cosmetically imperfect. It was a pain to make, since all my equipment is set up to make long blades, not ring knives. It's very doubtful I'll ever make anything like this again. Ever.

So here it is, if anyone is interested in this funny blade. It comes with a bison leather storage pouch/sleeping bag made by Ms. Oye, so if it ends up in a drawer for more years to come, it can rest in style. But it shouldn't, because I bet someone out there would really like this knife. :) Imagine the possibilities! Tactical mushroom knife? Ultra line cutter? Panfish blaster? Super stylin' diving knife? ...or?

Price is SOLD shipped to usa, overseas might have to add some extra shipping.

Paypal is: [email protected]

Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    gusbuster, Lapedog, Mike157 and 8 others like this.
  2. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Very nice looking knife, it's the perfect alloy for a marine grade knife.

Mike157, Mecha, protourist and 2 others like this.
  3. Jon E Walker

Jon E Walker Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Hard to tell size from the pictures. What are the dimensions?

Mike157 and Mecha like this.
  4. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Hello,

The oal is just shy of 8", space between ring and ricasso is 2 3/4", ring inner diameter is just under 1 1/8", blade length is about 3 1/4".

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Mike157 and Jon E Walker like this.
  5. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Thank you sir. I envision it on someone's boat, hanging by the ring, or maybe in a pack for woods use, or even in a tackle box.

Mike157 likes this.
  6. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    I would take the next one, please...;) :D

Bigfattyt, Mike157 and Mecha like this.
  7. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Ha! :D Can I interest you in something else, like say, a titanium ninja sword...from the future? o_O

8. blarkk

blarkk Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2012
    As a matter of fact, yes. Yes you can.

Mecha likes this.
  9. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    I can say they have some pretty nice bladed hardware in Neo Tokyo, what with the neo ninjas on the loose as the neo samurai battle for control of neo Japan.

10. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Interesting.

Check the surplus bin again to see what else is lurking?

I'd Buy a Tanto type thing from you but no real use for a sword.