• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Karambit-like object in forged ti alloy

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

I have here a strange knife that is sort of a straight karambit-like object.

This was made a couple years ago for a boat captain to give as a gift to another boat captain who liked karambits. Well, turns out the captain who was to receive the knife turned into a big asshole, and boat captain #1 rightly decided to keep the knife for himself.

Eventually the knife was given back to me because boat captain #1 had no use for it! It has sat since around in a drawer for a couple years until I happened upon it recently. It was never used.

This knife was forged from 90Ti 10Nb titanium alloy bar stock that I normally use for swords. The material does not forge the same way steel does, which accounts for the straightness of the karambit. It was impossible to get the blade to arc downwards more than it does. However it does work, and has a nice big hole for your booger hook, and a weird oval handle wrap made of rubber, nylon, and leather. The leather can be taken off without disturbing the handle superstructure if someone wants to wrap it with something else, which I wouldn't blame them.

The blade exhibits an imperfect, slippery shiny gray oxide left from heat treatment, and is sharp enough to cut through clothing and disembowel an enemy ninja or whatever it is karambits are for. I don't know, I'm not a karambiteer. I'm more of a "duct tape a machete to your back under your T-shirt" kinda guy.

The finger hole has some chatter marks, and it is generally cosmetically imperfect. It was a pain to make, since all my equipment is set up to make long blades, not ring knives. It's very doubtful I'll ever make anything like this again. Ever.

So here it is, if anyone is interested in this funny blade. It comes with a bison leather storage pouch/sleeping bag made by Ms. Oye, so if it ends up in a drawer for more years to come, it can rest in style. But it shouldn't, because I bet someone out there would really like this knife. :) Imagine the possibilities! Tactical mushroom knife? Ultra line cutter? Panfish blaster? Super stylin' diving knife? ...or?

Price is SOLD shipped to usa, overseas might have to add some extra shipping.

Paypal is: KLSAMEE@yahoo.com

Thanks for looking!

ZTZLpvC.jpg

Wub3wRq.jpg

F2vW6eM.jpg

CC1UlOF.jpg

9PGqBR4.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell size from the pictures. What are the dimensions?

Hello,

The oal is just shy of 8", space between ring and ricasso is 2 3/4", ring inner diameter is just under 1 1/8", blade length is about 3 1/4".

Last edited:
Very nice looking knife, it's the perfect alloy for a marine grade knife.

Thank you sir. I envision it on someone's boat, hanging by the ring, or maybe in a pack for woods use, or even in a tackle box.

As a matter of fact, yes. Yes you can.

I can say they have some pretty nice bladed hardware in Neo Tokyo, what with the neo ninjas on the loose as the neo samurai battle for control of neo Japan.

Interesting.

Check the surplus bin again to see what else is lurking?

I'd Buy a Tanto type thing from you but no real use for a sword.

Gotcha. Might be something around.

Back