Katana Sword Enthusiast and Maker Facebook Groups

Does anyone have experience with any of the Katana Facebook groups?

There are some small makers (outside the US) that post some pics of some pretty good-looking swords for sale.

One group in particular has almost 30k members but its just hard to get a warm fuzzy about the sellers.

Is anyone here a member of any of these groups, if so what do you think?

For the record, I would post the name (and/or link) of one in particular but I'm not sure if it would be acceptable.

FB generally sucks, as a big vacuum. As you note, there are a few neat makers. Sword Buyers Guide fb and a real forum like this The Nihonto Message Board, both a forum and facebook

Retail links can be viewed as spam here and discretionary.

There are some good groups on FB. The problem is there is always the potential for a bad person to slip into the group.
This is a problem with any group, look at how many assholes have been booted from this forum.

I am administrator for several groups such as Nihonto Group (12K+), Samurai Sword (20K+), International Nihonto Appreciation (1000+) and the Japanese Tsuba Collectors (2800+). With these groups especially Nihonto Group and Japanese Tsuba Collectors, we screen applicants pretty hard. In my groups I am not looking for or concerned with the volume of members but the quality.
Occasionally some low life gets in. Once discovered they get the boot pretty quick.

Its not the everyday members of the group that concern me but the out of country makers that make a sword and then post it in the group.

Yeah, we don't go for that in the Nihonto Group. It is a traditional group and only allows genuine swords by Japanese smiths. We do not allow any posts or discussion of non traditionally made swords, or sword polishing.

Back