Kayak fishing : Alligator gar

[video=youtube;hvbYUoyqvDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvbYUoyqvDQ[/video]
Landed a 6 foot Alligator Gar from my Malibu Kayaks Mini-X on an undisclosed section of the trinity river. This particular gar did not go airborne and chose to fight in deeper water she was pretty quickly outmatched by my 100 pound braid outfit. i decided to land her ont op of the kayak instead of towing her back to shore mostly because i knew i could and i have become pretty comfortable around big gar. I will be doing guided trips all summer and fall for monster alligator gar, win can find me on Facebook at Catching Dinosaurs Alligator Gar Guide Service

12968176_1062740507117329_3227203870294237266_o.jp  g

Nice!!!

If you dont mind me asking, what do you prefer to use as bait. I usually throw chunked mullet on my line for best results.

Ever try an rope lure for gar? That's what some of the folks use with success here in Georgia on Lake Lanier.

i use common carp, small mouth buffalo and gizzard shad as bait in about 1/2 pound chunks on bottom. mullet works in my waters closer to the coast.
rope lures will work just fine for smaller gator gar and the smaller species. the problem is if a big gar bites it and you break it off you just killed that fish by starvation it can no longer open its mouth to feed. the rope lure has to be completely removed from the small gars mouths or you killed it. i mostly just let my 8 year old daughter catch some little gar a few feet from the bank with rope lures to give her something to do.

Back