Kelly Handmade

I picked this up from the basement of my fathers house. Some mushrooming on the butt, but i estimate that it's 1 1/4 inch thick. I figure it's at least as old as I am, so over 55 years. I have seen Kelly Handmade axes here, but never a Jersey Pattern. Just a couple questions:

- History? How old is it? Where in US was it made?
- Is it rare?
- would you clean and recondition the head and put a new axe handle on it, or would you keep it as is?

Thanks

hJSCAFw.jpg

KIdiYGt.jpg

wGlUUh5.jpg

I've never seen one with raised letters. A knock off? I'll let more knowledgeable folks chime it.

Reactions: A17
I picked this up from the basement of my fathers house. Some mushrooming on the butt, but i estimate that it's 1 1/4 inch thick. I figure it's at least as old as I am, so over 55 years. I have seen Kelly Handmade axes here, but never a Jersey Pattern. Just a couple questions:

- Is it rare?
- would you clean and recondition the head and put a new axe handle on it, or would you keep it as is?

Thanks

hJSCAFw.jpg

KIdiYGt.jpg

wGlUUh5.jpg
It's definitely a real Kelly handmade! I've seen many with raised letters but I haven't, however, seen many Jersey patterns such as yours. It's a beautiful axe! It appears that the helve is in pretty good shape so if it were mine i would reuse it. While the head is off just run a wire cup brush over it and then oil it to bring out the patina.
And a great story to boot! If you look at the "yesteryears tools" website that will give you a quick rundown on the locations and times of the illustrious Kelly axe & tool co. There are also some good threads on this forum too. You have a beautiful axe sir! And welcome!

- Is it rare?

Thanks

hJSCAFw.jpg

KIdiYGt.jpg

wGlUUh5.jpg
I don't know if that axe belonged to your father or not. If it did never mind! But if not and you are interested in selling it please pm me! I've been on the lookout for a handmade.

Grind all that crap off the side to slick it up and slap a 36” straight handle in it and it would make a find splitter with a 10lb sledge to drive it two man style.....

Jk
Very nice kelly axe! I’ve been keeping my eyes pealed for a “Kelly hand made” local but my coworker seems to snag them all.

Back